PDA

View Full Version : Black and white stabilizer with Tetenal E6

pkr1979
23-Nov-2020, 04:53
Hi,

I accidentally spilled out my stab from my tetenal e6 kit. Is it possible to replace that stabilizer with say Kodak Photo-Flo?

Cheers
Peter

Corran
23-Nov-2020, 07:41
I have used photo-flo for years with all color development instead of stabilizer and haven't had any issues. I read somewhere once that stabilizer was no longer really needed on modern films due to changes in formulation, but that's totally hearsay.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you are bound and determined to have maximum longevity and archival-ness, at which point I would say why are you processing at home? Get it done at a high-tier lab. Otherwise photo-flo is fine :).

Oren Grad
23-Nov-2020, 08:46
Photo-Flo by itself is not a stabilizer. You need to add formalin if you want the dye image of an E-6 film to be stabilized. C-41 films are now different.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/the-definitive-word-i-hope-on-color-stabilzers.89149/

pkr1979
23-Nov-2020, 12:31
I chatted to Tetenal chemist a couple of years ago and as far as I can remember he told me they didnt use formalin anymore... or is there a chance I misunderstood?

Oren Grad
23-Nov-2020, 13:07
The MSDS for the Tetenal E-6 kit that's posted at Freestyle Photographic shows formaldehyde as an ingredient in the stabilizer. Perhaps that has changed. The Tetenal website doesn't have an MSDS for the product. The Tetenal ProChem catalog for commercial laboratories does show that their "ProfessionalLine E-6" product line for commercial labs has moved to a pre-bleach and a stabilizer without formalin, though it doesn't say whether the pre-bleach has it. But in any case, that's not the home processing kit.

Do read the post by Ron Mowrey at the top of the linked thread at Photrio. E-6 (not C-41) still needs formalin in either a pre-bleach or a post-process stabilizer for maximum stability, whether or not a given vendor chooses to include one in their processing kit. It's up to you to decide whether you want to take your chances without it.

EDIT: If there's any doubt, why not ask Tetenal? Make your question very specific - ask not about E-6 processing in general but about their Colortec E-6 kit for home use in particular, and what if anything are the consequences of not using their stabilizer.

pkr1979
24-Nov-2020, 02:12
Thanks,

Just sent them a message. I'll post back.

Cheers
Peter

peter k.
2-Dec-2020, 06:30
Did you ever get an official reply from Tetenal?

pkr1979
2-Dec-2020, 23:40
Still waiting.

pkr1979
16-Dec-2020, 09:04
They came back to me and said that as an emergency solution black and white stabilizer and Mirasol 2000 can be used, but they dont recommend it. It will not keep as long, but they are talking about a 30 plus years perspective.

ruilourosa
16-Dec-2020, 09:17
formaldehyde was replaced by glutaraldehyde... less harmfull

roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau
16-Dec-2020, 21:22
FWIW, a few months back I corresponded with Freestyle about their E6 process - which btw is made by Photosys (with whom I also corresponded). This was the response to my inquiry on why Tetenal had 1 more step than Arista in its E6 process (Stabilizer):

"The stabilizer component is only really necessary for older films since modern color film has been designed to not need a fungicide/bactericide. However, this component is compatible with any C41 or E6 development process if you would like to use it as a final rinse. When using hard water to develop, this can come in handy."

So there is something to the "rumor" mentioned earlier. This is the sum total. I suspect it would be easier to use leftover C41 Stabilizer - which I believe is the same stuff, and keeps for months. Hope this helps.

pkr1979
17-Dec-2020, 06:41
Thanks for the feedback.