PDA

View Full Version : Best budget option for brighter Tech IV screen?

Josh Root
16-Jan-2006, 14:19
I just can't stand the focusing screen on this Tech IV that I am using. It is just too dim.

Given the replies to my previous Tech IV questions, here is what I see as my options:

1. Linhof Super Screen $100ish: Seems to get good reviews, but do I have to have someone install it for me? Possible bowing problems?

2. Satin Snow $10: Very inexpensive, but is there a better option? I hear they have long order/delivery times.

3. Beattie Intenscreen $300+: Ouch! What a price. Any real reason to consider this?

4. BossScreen $145: Have to order it from Europe. Company seems to have had some financial problems. That's always a little sketchy.

5. Drop in Fresnel from BAdger Graphics $150?: Can't really find much out about this one.

Lenses I'm using are:

-Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 150/4.5
-S/K Angulon 90/6.8
-S/K Tele-Xenar 360/5.5
-Voigtlander Braunschweig Heliar 210/4.5

I'd like to get a 75mm. But I don't know that I will in the near future.

Does anyone have thoughts? I tink I could cinvince myself to buy the Linhof screen, if I didn't hav eto spend an arm/leg to get it installed. I could probably even convince myself to buy the Boss, if it wasn't a hassle to order from across the pond. The Beattie is probably out of my price range. And of course the SatinSnow is affordable, and if it works, it's a great deal. Can I instal any of them myself? Or do I need a pro to do it for me?

Yes, I have read the LFP page on focusing screens.

David A. Goldfarb
16-Jan-2006, 14:24
Order the SatinSnow and see if anything else comes along in the meantime. Dave Parker should give you an honest estimation of delivery time, and if you're in the U.S. and not subject to the vagaries of international mail and customs, then it should be an accurate estimation as well.

David Karp
16-Jan-2006, 14:27
I think that Bromwell Marketing handles the Bosscreen in the U.S.A.

Bob Salomon
16-Jan-2006, 15:02
"1. Linhof Super Screen $100ish: Seems to get good reviews, but do I have to have someone install it for me? Possible bowing problems?"

Discontinued and while we still may have a couple in stock the Glass Overlay has been unavailable for over a year.

"5. Drop in Fresnel from BAdger Graphics $150?: Can't really find much out about this one."

Your camera probably already has a fresnel under the ground glass. If so you do not want to add another one.

The best solution is the current ground glass and fresnel from Linhof. List price on the Linhof CM Grid GG is $62.00. The Linhof Fresnel has a list price of $263.00. Most camera stores discount these prices.

Bear in mind that if your GG and fresnel are original to the camera another choice would be to have someone clean them. They are almost 50 years old in that case.

Eric_6227
16-Jan-2006, 15:27
Hi Bob. Are these options available for the Technika III as well?

Bob Salomon
16-Jan-2006, 16:05
No, Linhof has not had III parts for years. There you have to use 3rd party screens.

Ed Richards
16-Jan-2006, 16:53
> Linhof CM Grid GG

Do you know the scale of the grid? My IV does not have a grid and that would be well worth the upgrade.

Glenn Thoreson
16-Jan-2006, 16:58
Make a small investment in a Satin Snow screen before laying out big bucks for something that may not do much better. Dave makes a nice ground glass and it smooth a silk and easy to focus on. If your camera is equipped with a fresnel, it probably needs cleaning.

Ron Marshall
16-Jan-2006, 17:07
I second the Satin Snow recommendation, it is discernably brighter.

Bob Salomon
16-Jan-2006, 17:09
Shold be about 15mm squares but I am on the road till Thursday so I can't measure one.

As for Satin Snow we have found that they are not as easy to focus as the crrent standard grid gg and fresnel over the complete range of lenses that fit the Technika. The Linhof gg and screen has more contrast then the Satin Snow so things snap in to focus faster.

Bill_1856
16-Jan-2006, 17:18
The "best" focusing screen seems to be the Maxwell. Unfortunately, he will no longer do the installation. Also, note that some of the Tech IV have their Fresnel installed the "old" way, betweem the lens and the ground glass. If yours is that way, it's gonna take a lot of shimming to get a new one right, and would probably be worth the "gasp" cost to send to Grimes or Marflex.

Michael Graves
16-Jan-2006, 20:11
I third (or fourth...I lost count) the Satin Snow. I bought one of those for my Toyo 5x7. I did a spot meter reading off the ground glass of a gray card with the old glass before I took it off and another off the Satin Snow after I installed it.

The SS was 1.3 stops brighter according to the spot meter. It was about three stops brighter according to my eyes. But my eyes are getting really old now. Much older than the rest of me.

Josh Root
16-Jan-2006, 22:52
I can 100% guarentee that there is no fresnel on this camera.

No idea why, but it just looks like there is a frosted groundglass that someone has marked out a 6x9 frame on with a thin paint pen.

Josh

Ed Richards
17-Jan-2006, 11:14
> I can 100% guarentee that there is no fresnel on this camera.

Go for fresnel first.