PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed - Should I ship my LF lenses to get them CLA'ed before selling them?

8alonzo8
18-Nov-2020, 21:38
I am thinking about selling some of my gear and have a modest collection of lenses that are valuable (at least to me). At one point, there were quite a few reliable local service shops in my area that offered CLA services for LF gear but, when I recently called around, it seems that market has dried up. I spent a little time with each lens and they each look, feel, and sound great. I just wanted to take the extra step of having them looked at by a professional group so that any prospective buyer could have the same peace of mind about the gear as I do.

As mentioned in the title, I would like to know if it is a good idea to ship my lenses off to have them CLA'ed before selling them? All comments and responses are welcome. I would especially like to hear about any good or bad experiences and/or advice from anyone who ships their gear for these types of services.

Dugan
18-Nov-2020, 22:03
Many technicians that do CLA's on LF shutters provide a dated printout of resulting shutter speeds after a CLA.
Most CLA warranties are for 30-90 days.
Having dated printouts of shutter speeds MAY help you sell the lenses at a premium...but enough to cover the cost of the CLA's and shipping? Doubtful, unless the lenses are truly scarce/in high demand and in excellent cosmetic and optical condition.

Leszek Vogt
18-Nov-2020, 22:04
There are still few places that service these lenses. I've had mine done near LA couple of years ago (I think it was 10 lenses) and I'm glad I did. That vendor may not be active, but it would help where you are located....so folks can steer you to a nearby place....assuming one exists there.

Either way, you'd have proof that you had the shutters CLA'd and that could help the sale.

Les

8alonzo8
18-Nov-2020, 22:18
Dugan, thank you for your reply.

Good point, the cost of shipping back and forth should be considered and I'd really hate for anything to happen to any of them during shipping. Also, I really like talking to the technicians who are doing the work, which is one of my biggest issues with shipping them to parts unknown. Never had to do that in the past. One is a 300mm Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S 75 degree, which is probably the most valuable. The other two are 240mm and 90mm Caltar II-N lenses. All in the appropriate COPAL shutters, these lenses have been well cared for and cosmetics and optical condition reflect that (my subjective opinion).

8alonzo8
18-Nov-2020, 22:26
Hi Les,

Agreed, I can say they are fine all I like but professional proof would yield the best price. It's probably what I would insist on if I were paying top dollar. I am in the Houston area. Unbelievable that one cannot just search and find anyone here. We had one of the best a few years back, his name was Mike at Professional Camera Repair. I was a little sad (but happy for Mike) to hear that he has since retired and nobody picked up that area of the great service business he had built.

Jim Andrada
19-Nov-2020, 00:24
I've had really good luck sending my lenses to Carol at Flutot's Camera Repair. They used to be in the LA area but I think they moved to Palm Desert. I'll check tomorrow. She does really good work but it might take a while. Last time I talked to her her husband was in very bad shape health-wise and it was really slowing her down. And I doubt you'd recover 100% of the added cost of a CLA. There's always Grimes in Providence Rhode Island - excellent service, but quite pricey.

Ron (Netherlands)
19-Nov-2020, 06:19
Please note that having them cla'd before a sale, you'll probably rule out as potential buyers people who have expertise to service shutters themselves or want to have it done by their technician of choice.

David Lindquist
19-Nov-2020, 07:21
I've had really good luck sending my lenses to Carol at Flutot's Camera Repair. They used to be in the LA area but I think they moved to Palm Desert. I'll check tomorrow. She does really good work but it might take a while. Last time I talked to her her husband was in very bad shape health-wise and it was really slowing her down. And I doubt you'd recover 100% of the added cost of a CLA. There's always Grimes in Providence Rhode Island - excellent service, but quite pricey.

SK Grimes no longer does CLA on leaf shutters: https://skgrimes.com/services/repair-services/ see bottom of page. They do do a lot of other stuff including engraving diaphragm scales and mounting lenses in shutters.

David

JMO
19-Nov-2020, 07:23
You might contact Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works (https://www.precisioncameraworks.com/about-1) (now in the Napa area) to find out if he does CLA and repairs on shutters and lenses. I think he does, and if so I'm sure you'd be satisfied with his work.

Oslolens
19-Nov-2020, 08:53
I had my 508mm Ilex sent directly from seller to SKGRIMES.COM for CLA, modification and adapter rings. If you trust your service provider, you can mention Sending to service, and the service to send forward.
Do not expect to fetch the price the reputable seller gets, when they can back up guarantee with a new shutter or similar lens.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Alan Gales
19-Nov-2020, 09:55
Do not have your lens shutters CLA'd before you sell them. You will never recoup the costs.

Recently CLA'd lenses do bring a little more money and then only if you include the paper work from the technician who CLA'd them as proof.

I've sold a ton of large format and medium format lenses and cameras on eBay. I used to do this to make money to fund my hobby. I never had a shutter CLA'd before selling it. Even if it needed it badly. I'd just advertise it as it was. The reason is I had watched many CLA'd lenses sell and knew that they didn't bring that much more money. Unless you know a technician who can do the job for free or for little to nothing, I'd leave the shutters as they are.

Kevin Crisp
19-Nov-2020, 10:04
I'm with Alan on this. If they are working fine (and it sounds like they are) then sell them, advertised as working fine.

Oslolens
19-Nov-2020, 12:03
so that any prospective buyer could have the same peace of mind about the gear as I do.

If you enjoy it, you could measure all the times on all the speeds in normal and cold conditions with an app. I see 1 second as the most important, measured with light or sound. The second thing to check is center resolution after stopping one stop down, and far corner resolution at f16, so customer know what is possible. Nikon list their circle of coverage at f16, and I was surprised to see my 210mm apo symmar being tack sharp in the middle at biggest aperture.

8alonzo8
19-Nov-2020, 20:57
Please note that having them cla'd before a sale, you'll probably rule out as potential buyers people who have expertise to service shutters themselves or want to have it done by their technician of choice.

Ron, good point that I hadn't considered.

8alonzo8
19-Nov-2020, 20:59
I will continue to look around and may just go the "as-is come by and test it" consignment route if I can't find any local professionals.

Peter De Smidt
19-Nov-2020, 21:21
You might contact Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works (https://www.precisioncameraworks.com/about-1) (now in the Napa area) to find out if he does CLA and repairs on shutters and lenses. I think he does, and if so I'm sure you'd be satisfied with his work.

Bob has moved to California, and I believe he is having some health issues. He's had one of my cameras for over a year, and I'm not optimistic about getting it back.

8alonzo8
19-Nov-2020, 21:35
Peter, thanks for that update. Losing your camera is a really unfortunate situation.

8alonzo8
20-Nov-2020, 06:47
If you enjoy it, you could measure all the times on all the speeds in normal and cold conditions with an app. I see 1 second as the most important, measured with light or sound. The second thing to check is center resolution after stopping one stop down, and far corner resolution at f16, so customer know what is possible. Nikon list their circle of coverage at f16, and I was surprised to see my 210mm apo symmar being tack sharp in the middle at biggest aperture.

Hmm...ok. I am very interested in performing this type of test and simply didn't know there was a reliable app for such tests. Please let me know which app you recommend or your method for performing these measurements.

Steve Goldstein
20-Nov-2020, 07:05
Hmm...ok. I am very interested in performing this type of test and simply didn't know there was a reliable app for such tests. Please let me know which app you recommend or your method for performing these measurements.

If you'd give some indication of your locale you might be able to find someone local who owns a shutter speed tester, like a Calumet or a Phochron XA. There are other, more professional, units out there but either of these will be accurate. Many phone apps are sound-based so are generally OK at lower speeds but not necessarily at higher ones. The Calumet has been out of production for years, the Phochron is available new, but purchasing either may not make sense if your goal is simply to sell some lenses.

Tin Can
20-Nov-2020, 07:08
Some LF users here shoot without a 'good' OE mounted shutter

There are many ways to a perfect exposure

Some will want the lens and shutter unrepaired, untouched including uncleaned

Alan Klein
20-Nov-2020, 07:21
If you didn't think they were worth it to CLA when you used them, why do you think others will put any more value on CLAing them and be willing to pay extra for them? I'd just wipe them clean and take a picture with the original box they came in if you have them. If you have recent photos showing results, include those to show how well they work.

Alan Klein
20-Nov-2020, 07:27
If you'd give some indication of your locale you might be able to find someone local who owns a shutter speed tester, like a Calumet or a Phochron XA. There are other, more professional, units out there but either of these will be accurate. Many phone apps are sound-based so are generally OK at lower speeds but not necessarily at higher ones. The Calumet has been out of production for years, the Phochron is available new, but purchasing either may not make sense if your goal is simply to sell some lenses.

These shutters are off a little on at least some settings. All the test will show is they're off and you've proved it. SO the buyer might think it's worth less than it is. I think if you've been using a lens successfully, let the photo results count for itself and sell the lens as is.

How do you advertise blemishes, scratches and things like that?

8alonzo8
20-Nov-2020, 08:57

I am in the Houston area.

8alonzo8
20-Nov-2020, 09:13
If you didn't think they were worth it to CLA when you used them, why do you think others will put any more value on CLAing them and be willing to pay extra for them? I'd just wipe them clean and take a picture with the original box they came in if you have them. If you have recent photos showing results, include those to show how well they work.

I had them CLA'ed when I purchased them used years ago and, unfortunately, it's been a while since I've used my LF gear or these lenses. My original thought was to offer these lenses as recently CLA'ed more as a courtesy to any potential buyer than anything else. When buying, I tend to be more interested in gear I know has been taken care of and often look for such things myself. Cosmetically, the lenses look excellent in terms of glass clarity and exterior finish. They also sound excellent when I check them against a clock at one second. I know that's not the best test, just that the each seem to be right on the mark both visually and by sound. At this point, I will likely offer them locally to anyone who would like to come by and check them out before buying. This sounds like the best route.

Alan Gales
20-Nov-2020, 09:40
Cosmetically, the lenses look excellent in terms of glass clarity and exterior finish.They also sound excellent when I check them against a clock at one second.

Put in the add that cosmetically the lenses look excellent with great clarity and no fog, coating marks or scratches. I have no way of professionally testing the lens shutters but they sound excellent when I check them against a clock at one second.

Also include plenty of sharp, clear pictures. You would be surprised how many photographers advertise photo equipment with lousy images.

8alonzo8
20-Nov-2020, 10:00
Also include plenty of sharp, clear pictures. You would be surprised how many photographers advertise photo equipment with lousy images.

So true. Will do.

Tin Can
20-Nov-2020, 11:38
I bet you now will receive PM's to make back of the shed deals

as NOW you tell us they are Gems

not from me

Alan Klein
20-Nov-2020, 21:09
Put in the add that cosmetically the lenses look excellent with great clarity and no fog, coating marks or scratches. I have no way of professionally testing the lens shutters but they sound excellent when I check them against a clock at one second.

That's what Japanese sellers of lenses do on eBay. I've asked them before buying to provide shutter test reports. None would do so because they know that shutters are not that accurate. The Copal shutter spec says accurate to 1/3 stop when new. Some ads say they manually checked and they sound right. When I did the sound test, none of them were perfect, some better than others. But the ads always included very clear pictures.
Check some of these out. https://www.ebay.com/b/Schneider-Apo-Symmar-150mm-Focal-f-5-6-Camera-Lenses/3323/bn_110055112

Alan Gales
20-Nov-2020, 23:08
That's what Japanese sellers of lenses do on eBay. I've asked them before buying to provide shutter test reports. None would do so because they know that shutters are not that accurate. The Copal shutter spec says accurate to 1/3 stop when new. Some ads say they manually checked and they sound right. When I did the sound test, none of them were perfect, some better than others. But the ads always included very clear pictures.
Check some of these out. https://www.ebay.com/b/Schneider-Apo-Symmar-150mm-Focal-f-5-6-Camera-Lenses/3323/bn_110055112

After I bought my first shutter speed tester I started listing the actual speeds of my lens shutters on my eBay auctions. My lenses started selling for less money even when the shutters were accurate or just slightly slow on the fastest speeds. ;)

I went back to saying that my shutter speeds sounded progressively slower the lower the speeds but were not professionally tested for accuracy. Of course any lens that needed a CLA I advertised as such. My lenses started back to selling for what they should have.

Sounds crazy, doesn't it?

Alan Klein
21-Nov-2020, 09:00
After I bought my first shutter speed tester I started listing the actual speeds of my lens shutters on my eBay auctions. My lenses started selling for less money even when the shutters were accurate or just slightly slow on the fastest speeds. ;)

I went back to saying that my shutter speeds sounded progressively slower the lower the speeds but were not professionally tested for accuracy. Of course any lens that needed a CLA I advertised as such. My lenses started back to selling for what they should have.

Sounds crazy, doesn't it?

Sure it makes sense. The test proves to the buyer you're selling a "defective" shutter. :) I tested all my lenses with built in shutters. Four large formats and four Mamiya RB67 lenses. I also checked my Nikon Nikormat 35mm camera's shutter. None of these were accurate across the board, some worse than others. The only one I checked that was accurate almost exactly was my Nikon N6006 thirty-year-old 35mm camera. It has an electronic shutter. I was amazed at how accurate it was especially after all these years. It had also sat on the shelf for half that time.

Alan Klein
21-Nov-2020, 09:07
Sure it makes sense. The test proves to the buyer you're selling a "defective" shutter. :) I tested all my lenses with built in shutters. Four large formats and four Mamiya RB67 lenses. I also checked my Nikon Nikormat 35mm camera's shutter. None of these were accurate across the board, some worse than others. The only one I checked that was accurate almost exactly was my Nikon N6006 thirty-year-old 35mm camera. It has an electronic shutter. I was amazed at how accurate it was especially after all these years. It had also sat on the shelf for half that time.

Here's a bunch I shot recently with the N6006 with Tmax 400. Everything on the camera worked great after all these years. The zoom lens is not so sharp. What do you think?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/albums/72157716777378896

Alan Gales
21-Nov-2020, 12:28
Here's a bunch I shot recently with the N6006 with Tmax 400. Everything on the camera worked great after all these years. The zoom lens is not so sharp. What do you think?

They look great to me!

8alonzo8
23-Nov-2020, 23:56

Nice work! Tmax is great film. Makes me want to pull out the old PZ-1. I purchased that camera Houston Camera Exchange 29 years ago next month. It's great to hold and I still get a kick out of shooting with it.