PDA

View Full Version : Need help to identify brass lenses and LF camera

computterman
17-Nov-2020, 08:16
hi, i just picked up 2 brass lenses with no identification at all. These are Petzval lenses. If someone could help me identify and tell me what manufacturer made these lenses?

This is the first :

- back and front lens diameter = 56mm
- back barrel diameter = 60mm
- total length with hood = 152mm
- iris is from f/4 to f/44
- approximatly focal length = 260-280mm (measured at infinite, between focal plan and focal point)

The second lens :

- back and front lens diameter = 56mm
- back barrel diameter = 70mm
- total length with hood = 145mm
- no iris = waterhouse
- approximatly focal length = 220mm (measured at infinite, between focal plan and focal point)

i also get a 5x7 LF wooden camera but i can't identify the brand, nothing is engraved or written :

thanx a lot for your attention !

Two23
17-Nov-2020, 09:50
Virtually impossible to ID the lenses. There were a lot of makers. The camera looks English.

Kent in SD

Steven Tribe
17-Nov-2020, 09:57
it is unlikely you will get an answer as these look pretty anonymous (late 19th/early 20th C.). Photos of details, rather than total lens, might help. The camera is a tailboard type with some distinctive brass work (France/Germany?).
The table is definitely White Oak!

computterman
5-Dec-2020, 12:19
no hope to identify thses lenss?

Greg
5-Dec-2020, 15:57
Have owned 2 brass Petzval lenses that were unlabeled. Took apart both and looked at the the outside rims of the glass. On one were some numbers which were no help to me. On the other was written in pencil the manufacturer's name (I thought at the time, but presently draw a blank on remembering it). It wasn't listed in the vade mecum and "Googling" it came up blank as far as lenses went. For all I know it could have been the lens maker's name...

Jim Noel
5-Dec-2020, 16:59
How do you know they are Petzvals? Is it the sellersword?

Greg
5-Dec-2020, 17:26
How do you know they are Petzvals? Is it the sellersword?

Very good point to bring up. Over the years have picked up 3 brass "Petzval" lenses off eBay. 2 were just listed as "brass lenses". Thanks to the vade mecum, I was able to ID them as actually being Petzval optics before acquiring them. The 3rd was listed as a brass "Petzval" lens. Turned out not to be one, so it was immediately returned it to the seller. I have seen brass lenses on eBay being described as "Petzval" lenses, but with a little investigation, based on the images of the lenses, determined that most probably not to be Petzval optics. Obviously some sellers have found out that adding the "Petzval" nomenclature to their auctions will command premium prices.

Jim Noel
5-Dec-2020, 20:09
Very good point to bring up. Over the years have picked up 3 brass "Petzval" lenses off eBay. 2 were just listed as "brass lenses". Thanks to the vade mecum, I was able to ID them as actually being Petzval optics before acquiring them. The 3rd was listed as a brass "Petzval" lens. Turned out not to be one, so it was immediately returned it to the seller. I have seen brass lenses on eBay being described as "Petzval" lenses, but with a little investigation, based on the images of the lenses, determined that most probably not to be Petzval optics. Obviously some sellers have found out that adding the "Petzval" nomenclature to their auctions will command premium prices.

I totally agree.