PDA

View Full Version : Intrepid/Rodenstock question

RisenBeforeDawn
16-Nov-2020, 04:05
I bought a pretty minty Rodenstock 150 N 5.6 online
I mounted it on a lens board and threw it in the intrepid mkiv

When placing the front standard in the second hole from the front I can’t focus to infinity all the way
When placing it in the third hole i can’t focus close but can easily focus to infinity

Is this a problem with the lens or is this a normal thing that happens with certain lens (which is what intrepid told me)

I guess I just assumed the lens would sit in one hole and be able to throw focus all the way from near to far?

Should I try to return the lens or is having to switch holes normal
And is there a downside to having to switch holes

Thanks everyone

Tin Can
16-Nov-2020, 04:15
Normal.

RisenBeforeDawn
16-Nov-2020, 04:45
Normal.

So you just get use to which hole to mount it while setting up I’m assuming? Are there any 150s that rack front to back in a single mounting spot?

Tin Can
16-Nov-2020, 05:05
Most likely no 150 can focus at all distances

When shooting any lens I know we need more total bellows extension close up than at infinity

Look up how Macro Photography works on any camera

My biggest film camera has the capacity to focus from 14" to 75" with the same lense which is something like 5X magnification

Tin Can
16-Nov-2020, 05:40
Consider reading all the advice on this LFPF page

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/

I bought a pretty minty Rodenstock 150 N 5.6 online
I mounted it on a lens board and threw it in the intrepid mkiv

When placing the front standard in the second hole from the front I can’t focus to infinity all the way
When placing it in the third hole i can’t focus close but can easily focus to infinity

Is this a problem with the lens or is this a normal thing that happens with certain lens (which is what intrepid told me)

I guess I just assumed the lens would sit in one hole and be able to throw focus all the way from near to far?

Should I try to return the lens or is having to switch holes normal
And is there a downside to having to switch holes

Thanks everyone

RisenBeforeDawn
16-Nov-2020, 06:11
Consider reading all the advice on this LFPF page

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/

Thanks so much should give me plenty to go on

Alan Klein
16-Nov-2020, 07:10
Show us some results of your photos. :)

RisenBeforeDawn
16-Nov-2020, 18:44
Show us some results of your photos. :)

Only have one scanned lol. Took two the first day out. Left the shutter preview thing open when I pulled the dark slide out ha. This is the other
Ektar

Alan Klein
17-Nov-2020, 17:26
Only have one scanned lol. Took two the first day out. Left the shutter preview thing open when I pulled the dark slide out ha. This is the other
Ektar

I'd did the same thing two days ago. With Velvia. Nice Shot.

grat
18-Nov-2020, 14:52
So you just get use to which hole to mount it while setting up I’m assuming? Are there any 150s that rack front to back in a single mounting spot?

It's not the lens. Focused to infinity, you'll usually be at 150mm between the central point of the lens assembly and the film plane. The closer you get, the more distance between the film plane and the lens, until you reach 1:1, which is usually 2x the focal length (300mm in this case).

So in order to use the lens at both ends, your front standard needs to be able to be at both 150mm from the film, and 300mm from the film. Sounds like the Intrepid doesn't have that spacing option.

Frankly, I was astonished my Chamonix can (barely) pull it off. Then again, it's possible they specifically designed it that way. Regardless, that's probably the *only* focal length lens that will work at both infinity and close up in the same mounting location, so it's a good idea to consider "near" vs "far" when you're setting up the camera.

Rod Klukas
18-Nov-2020, 15:03
An Arca-Swiss can easily perform this feat.

Rod Klukas
18-Nov-2020, 15:08
Sorry. But someone explained it correctly above. For life-size reproduction twice the focal length in extension must be available. So 150mm needs 300mm(12") minimum. By the way the distance from the shutter at 1:1 will also be 300mm to the object focused, with a 150mm lens. Also the compensation at 1:1 with any lens is always 2 stops. At 225 extension, with a 150mm lens, you will be at 1/2 life-size and a 1 stop compensation will be required for correct exposure.

Hope this helps.

Rod

Tobias Key
18-Nov-2020, 15:51
Almost any large format camera you care to think of has a rough focusing set up and a fine focusing set up. I have a Wista 45DX. For a landscape, you set it up by sliding the front standard out the bed until you get to infinity, then you tighten the standard down and use the focusing knobs. If you want to get really close to something you'd have to loosen the standard and slide it all the way out, then use the focusing rack to get closer still. I can't slide out to infinity and get full bellows extension on the focusing rack. If you think of extension tubes on a 35mm camera, they are working in the same principle.

Jim Noel
18-Nov-2020, 16:15
Your problem has more todo with operator lack of knowledge,than lens fault.