PDA

View Full Version : What went wrong with the development of this sheet?

Ricimer
14-Nov-2020, 10:43
Hi! Can anyone tell what is responsible for this pattern on this 4x5 sheet. I used 1h stand development Rodinal 1+100 (continuous agitation for the first minute) in a SP-445 tank. Everything was room temperature. There were 2 sheets in the tank and curiously one came out fine.
Thanks!

paulbarden
14-Nov-2020, 11:55
This is why I tell people not to waste their time and money on so-called "Stand" development: its unpredictable and often unreliable.

Ricimer
14-Nov-2020, 14:52
I use it only from time to time and it always works fine (so far). In that case the aim was to salvage a negative I knew was grossly overexposed.

sharktooth
14-Nov-2020, 17:23
Very strange that it only affects one sheet and not the other. It looks like a double exposure.

What do the edges of the sheet look like using a magnifier (outside the normal image area). Can you see anything weird at the edges? If so, then it's probably a development issue. If not, then I'd suspect it's something happening before development.

Alan9940
14-Nov-2020, 20:56
Are you using v4 holders? Looks like the pattern stamped into the holder. Did you load the sheet backward?

Ricimer
15-Nov-2020, 15:43
I do have the v4 holders. After developing those last two sheets I did the modification I found here:
https://shop.stearmanpress.com/blogs/news/a-short-history-of-our-film-holders

Here is a picture:

The strange pattern does appear outside the normal image area.

Vaughn
15-Nov-2020, 20:00
By any chance did you use film that comes with interleaving paper between each sheet? I've done it with Ilford in the past...

PS....I would not expect the image to be that sharp, though -- Good luck figuring it out!

sharktooth
15-Nov-2020, 21:08
Interesting. If the pattern is like Alan9940 noted, then it seems likely that the back of the film was in tight contact with the holder face. The Stearman Press link indicates that the anti-halation dyes on the back of the film may not have been cleared if there is contact. Maybe some freak static charge kept the film and the holder face in tight contact through the processing. You could rewash the negative as Stearman suggests, to see if it goes away. If it does, then it would verify the cause.

Removing the holder face seems like a logical fix.

Colin Boyd Shafer
9-Feb-2023, 11:27
I know this doesn't help, but I like it!

Mark Sampson
9-Feb-2023, 11:46
That is bizarre. I hope that the other sheet is of the same picture; underneath the problems, this one looks to be quite an interesting photo.
Sorry I an't offer any insight into the problem- I've never yet seen a negative look like that.