PDA

View Full Version : Pictoriographica black glass!

Tin Can
12-Nov-2020, 07:17
I recently received 4X5 Black Glass from PICTORIOGRAPHICA (https://www.pictoriographica.com/) for ambrotypes

Nicely finished edges, black glass which is dark enough to barely view a bright light through it, I wonder if it may be good for ND filter?

and the 4X5 plates fit my 5X7 Chroma Wet plate holder (https://chroma.camera/product/5x7-wet-plate-holder/) with a spacer

as usual nothing to show here yet

I have had some issues of my own making

Nodda Duma
12-Nov-2020, 19:08
Glad it showed up... looking forward to seeing what you and other people do with it.

Cheers,
Jason

karl french
12-Nov-2020, 22:27
How is this any different that the smooth black glass I can buy at my local stained glass shop?

Tin Can
13-Nov-2020, 05:57
Dunno, but not everybody has a stained glass store nearby

I have looked online for black glass and found nothing in big sheets

goamules
13-Nov-2020, 06:29
Glass is glass. What is it's price? I searched for it on the linked site to no avail.

Tin Can
13-Nov-2020, 07:51
There was a preorder offered on this forum

Jason has fulfilled that

The rest is now his business

One reason I wanted black glass is, it can be cleaned, reused, if needed, unlike black Tin

paulbarden
13-Nov-2020, 08:18
I was eager to buy some of this glass, but decided the advantages weren’t worth the price. A shame, really, as I was looking forward to making ambrotypes with it.

Roger Thoms
13-Nov-2020, 10:10
Glass is glass. What is it's price? I searched for it on the linked site to no avail.

https://www.pictoriographica.com/store/p15/blackglass.html

Roger

Nodda Duma
13-Nov-2020, 10:11
I was eager to buy some of this glass, but decided the advantages weren’t worth the price. A shame, really, as I was looking forward to making ambrotypes with it.

Yeah I wish things were free, too. Unfortunately I can't sell it at a loss or I would. At least I don't have to make a living off this stuff.

Nodda Duma
13-Nov-2020, 10:14
How is this any different that the smooth black glass I can buy at my local stained glass shop?

If it's not different, then offer it to folks who are looking for it. The wet plate community has been searching for this stuff for years.

I suspect, however, that it is different: the black stained glass I've found has surface texture -- ripples like water -- and is thicker. Most wet plate shooters I know will say they don't like that stuff.

Kiwi7475
13-Nov-2020, 19:45
I got my 4x5 ones too. Great finish and quality. About the same price as color slide film. I have no complaints, and really appreciate Nodda Duma’s efforts for making this available to us.

paulbarden
14-Nov-2020, 08:37
Yeah I wish things were free, too. Unfortunately I can't sell it at a loss or I would. At least I don't have to make a living off this stuff.

I didn't mean to be critical of your pricing, Jason. I simply meant that right now, under current circumstances, I cannot afford this product. I have no doubt you are selling it for as low a price as you can. I am certain it is far superior to standard black "stained glass" plates, but I simply can't afford $8.00 a piece for 8X10 glass. I wish things were different, but....

Tin Can
14-Nov-2020, 09:07
Paul, show us where "standard black "stained glass" plates" ARE available

I didn't mean to be critical of your pricing, Jason. I simply meant that right now, under current circumstances, I cannot afford this product. I have no doubt you are selling it for as low a price as you can. I am certain it is far superior to standard black "stained glass" plates, but I simply can't afford $8.00 a piece for 8X10 glass. I wish things were different, but....

paulbarden
14-Nov-2020, 09:51
Paul, show us where "standard black "stained glass" plates" ARE available

Randy,
I cannot cite suppliers at this point, because it seems they come and go, and availability changes all the time. I know that about a year and a half ago, I found one supplier, but the product was only available for a short time. I don't know of any current suppliers of black stained glass, but I am certain they're out there. I can also tell you their product was more expensive than what Jason offers, if I remember correctly. Black glass isn't cheap, no matter who the supplier. I'm sticking to making ambrotypes on clear glass and blacking the reverse by various methods.

Edit: A quick search of the web for "Black stained glass" reveals a number of sources.

Tin Can
14-Nov-2020, 09:58
Yes I see those and they seem to be crap

Randy,
I cannot cite suppliers at this point, because it seems they come and go, and availability changes all the time. I know that about a year and a half ago, I found one supplier, but the product was only available for a short time. I don't know of any current suppliers of black stained glass, but I am certain they're out there. I can also tell you their product was more expensive than what Jason offers, if I remember correctly. Black glass isn't cheap, no matter who the supplier. I'm sticking to making ambrotypes on clear glass and blacking the reverse by various methods.

Edit: A quick search of the web for "Black stained glass" reveals a number of sources.

Nodda Duma
14-Nov-2020, 10:10
No worries, Paul...didn’t take it as such. I was sharing in frustration that I can’t push the prices down much. My gial has always been to make plate shooting affordable. I could get the price down on this stuff..maybe as demand grows and I can buy in larger quantities.

I did a couple things to try and help: I tuned the prices down a little more and also cut the size of the packs in half, so while the per-piece cost doesn’t change, it’s not as large an investment to try them out. Check out the revised listing and maybe that will help (or at least lower the investment bar).

The black glass from those sources are rippled and textured..definitely not conducive to what I want to do (coat with emulsion). I have several large pieces that I bought for testing and, as Randy states, the stuff is crap for what wet / dry platers want to do.

goamules
15-Nov-2020, 08:02
Thanks for the link, so 5 plates in 4x5 are $15, which sounds reasonable. It is hard to find good glass, however none of us wetplaters "have been searching for it for years" as the seller states. Sorry, but you don't have a secret source that no one else can find. It's out there, I and many others buy it when we find some for a good price. You just have to hunt around and then you have your supplier. Dark ruby red, purple, and green work well too.

Here is a plate I shot on some in 2011.

https://live.staticflickr.com/6194/6062791684_5a8d71fbc7_w.jpg