PDA

View Full Version : Best Vehicle & Camper for photo field work?

Jack Brady
15-Jan-2006, 07:16
I'd like to hear what others have found to be the best solution to doing 3-6 week photography field trips in the USA.

Mission is to be able to camp as close to the topics of photo interest without having to back pack and deal with tents. At 59 year I'm no longer in the mood to sleep on the ground.

Pondering the logic of a SUV pulling a pop-top camper verse a VW Camper.
I've had two of the VW's in the past - enjoyed them but that in the late 70's and early 80s' - before the age of the SUV's and pop-top campers.

With the volitile cost of fuel, and I expect it only to get worse in the future, the MPG needs to be very reasonable. From what I've found, the 2001-2003 VW Eurovan Full Campers get a reported 18-21MPG on regular gas- anyone know if that's true?

Nissan Xterra, Toyota Highlander, etc. pulling a pop-top camper might work.

On the issue of campers, I want as light as possible but still giving decent protection from the elements. Thought the Aliner S-Type looked interesting at only 900 pounds. Suggestions are welcome.

Looking forward to learning what has worked well for others!

Bill_1856
15-Jan-2006, 07:37
"Best Western" is everywhere.

darter
15-Jan-2006, 07:50
The Honda Element gets good mileage and has seats that fold flat to make a bed. I noticed recently that Dodge is selling a european-style delivery commercial panel van (possibly a rebadged Mercedes truck) it looked like an excellent LF roaming car.

Jack Flesher
15-Jan-2006, 08:19
I'm with Bill.. I've owned campers, pop-up trailers and large trailers. Bottom line is it costs nearly as much now to "camp" in a park with hook-ups as it does to stay in a Best Western. Add in the loss of gas mileage with any of your solutions over a mid-sized SUV and IMO you will be ahead of the game with the SUV and Best Western.

George Stewart
15-Jan-2006, 08:21
A used diesel pickup with an "Alaskan Camper," might be the ticket. the MPG should be over 20 with this setup, and the 4WD will get you places that a van won't.

John Sarsgard
15-Jan-2006, 08:23
A small, fuel efficient pickup with a shell over the back gives huge carrying capacity and better gas mileage than most SUVs.

Harley Goldman
15-Jan-2006, 08:30
Jack,

I have a Ford F-150 4x4 with a Northstar pop-up camper on the back. It is a camper, not a tent trailer. It has a full queen bed, refridgerator, two-burn stove, lights, dinette that converts to another bed, hot water heater, sink, 30 gal water tanks and heater. No bathroom, but it does have an outdoor shower. It is very comfortable.

The advantage of the camper over the trailer is that you always have everything with you when you leave an area. If you leave a trailer, you need to go back and get it if you find somewhere better. Also, the camper allows you to camp on a much smaller footprint and more stealthily if you are say camping at a trailhead or parking lot where there is officially no camping. Not that I would ever do anything like that.

The camper allows me to sleep where I want to shoot. Sometimes the nearest motel is an hour or two away from where I want to be. With the camper, I can shoot late light, have a nice meal, read in the evening, sleep in a comfortable bed and then roll out of bed at first light already there. The camper sets up in about 60 seconds (literally) and is warm and comfortable, so it beats the hell out of tent camping. Since I have gotten my camper, I have far more motivated to get out of town.

Mark Fisher
15-Jan-2006, 08:39
I use a pop up for family camping and I'd discourage you from going that direction. The advantages of a pop up are cost/sq ft and towing weight. We have a small one and originally towed it with a Honda Accord (not in the mountains!) and did not have much money to spend so it way good for our growing family. The disadvantage is that they take a fairly long time to set up and take down....especially in the rain. That is not too big a deal if you are staying a week at a location, but would get pretty old if you were moving every couple of days. They are also not incredibly durable. We have a Coleman/Fleetwood and they were the best built we could find at the time and it still is low-grade mobile home quality.
One other direction worth considering is a small fiberglass hard shell trailer. Scamper and Casita are the two I've seen. They are a bit heavier than a pop up, but you don't need to pop it up. For one or two people, it looks like a good alternative.
One thing other thing to consider with the self contained (Eurovan) or a tow behind: the trailer can stay on the site while you go out in the morning or evening to photograph. Bad security-wise, good because you don't need to put everything away and also good if you are traveling with any non-photographers.

Stuart Lane
15-Jan-2006, 08:39
I use a slide in, pop-up camper that fits in the back of a pick-up. The camper brand I use is "4-wheel" and weighs about 1000 lbs (450 kg) fully loaded (water, propane, gear). It has all the same features a pop-up trailer has, but you don't have to tow it. It's not inexpensive, over $12,000 new, plus you need a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck to carry it, and gas mileage is not so great, but it is able to go places you can not go in a VW, and I have sometimes gotten into situations where I had to back up for over a mile along a cliff edge, not fun with a trailer. One nice thing about a slide in camper is that it slides out, and you can use the truck to carry other items, plus you can replace the truck or camper seperately. I first used a extended cab pick-up, now I use a crew cab, so I can carry more gear. My camper is 9 years old, and I am just now considering replacing it, as it is starting to show its age. If you really, really don't care how much it costs, look at a "sportsmobile" 4x4 van, $75,000-$100,000. I would like to get one of the sportsmobile vans, but just can't convince my wife to spend the $100,000.

Dan Jolicoeur
15-Jan-2006, 08:48
Jack, i do the pop up camper thing aslo. It is nice to be able to get close to the site and then unhook to do day trips on back logging roads. We spend all day traveling on roads where we have no idea where we are. My next LF gear expense is a GPS. Unfortunatley This style of shooting is more for multi-format, for I haven't gotten the 4x5 set up to get a picture of a moose in time yet. As far as cost of camping it depends on the camp ground. Yes you maybe able to get a $35 dollar room. But not with the view, and a fire crackling while you have a toddy stairing at the stars.

Garry Teeple
15-Jan-2006, 08:52
I've used a popup camper since 1986 and in all these years have found it to be a royal pain. It is great with kids if you intend to stay in one place for several days. The last trip I used it, and possibably the last time I will ever use it, was in 2004. My wife and I took a two week trip to the southwest pulling it with a Chevy Astro van. Pulling a trailer bouncing over all the rough roads makes the ride in the pulling vehicle much less comfortable. Finding a place to park both the vehicle and the trailer close to where you wish to photograph is always a problem. I did get a great round of applause at Mt. Rushmore several years ago when I parallel parked the trailer and our Chevy Suburban I had, really impressed my three sons when people started telling them how great a drive I was. Anyway, my favorite vehicle for camping and photography is an S-10 pickup with a camper shell. I sometimes take a tent if the weather is going to be hot as it allows more air flow than the camper. I will turn 60 this month and although the body is not as young I still find camping in secluded spots with no facilities to be the best way to go. One very important thing is to do your research on the locations your are going to. In the southwest it was very difficult to find good camping locations, mostly there was only RV parks right on the main roads and they cost nearly half what a motel would cost. The real gem was Canyon deChilly campground, free. P.S. Anyone want to buy a cheap 20 year old popup?

Ted Harris
15-Jan-2006, 08:59
A lot of it depends on where your field trips are going to take you. For me, doing a lot of field work in Northern New England and Eastern Canada in areas where paved roads (or roads at all) get sparse at times, the size and construction of the vehicle is very important. I want it to be on a truck chassis to take a beating off road or on marginal roads (be careful of this as many of the larger SUV's may appear to be on a truck chassis but are really inflated cars with no performance at all once you are off road. I want it to be 4 wheel drive for all the same reasons and I want it to be something where I can get a part or get it serviced quickly if I am in the boonies and the need arises. I also want it to be a sane size so I can maneuver it in rocky and wooded areas where some of the monster SUV's have little hope of going and no hope of turning around. Some of these requirements may seem silly but I have been stuck in a small town in North Dakota for several days waiting for a part for a Saab. I have come to impassable areas on unmaintained scenic 'roads' which would require you to back out in reverse in some of the larger vehicles. Obviously, campers of any sort are out as are many of the imports (ask the guy that runs the only garage in Errol, NH pop. 400 if he has Honda or Toyota parts handy ...the answer is no he has to send to Berlin some 30 miles away to get them and it could take hours requiring an unexpected overnight stay). So, when I am at home or know I am not going in 'harms way' I luxuriate in my Saab but when I know I may have any of the requirements above I am in my 8 cylinder Ford Explorer. It will go almost anywhere and I can get it repaired anywhere (but knock on wood it never breaks down). I can carry all the gear I need and if I HAVE TO I can flip down the rear seats and sleep in the back.

Ralph Barker
15-Jan-2006, 09:00
I think a lot depends on what terrain you'll be driving through, and how much gear you'll need to deal with. The smaller, more fuel-efficient import vehicles tend to be somewhat under-powered, making them almost unsuitable for towing any sort of trailer on anything but flat terrain. (Ever pass a dinky vehicle struggling up a hill at 15 MPH?) Plus, there's the inconvenience factor of the trailer. Backing a trailer can be a real pain if one isn't adept at reverse steering.

I drive a Chevy Suburban as my "regular" vehicle, as I often need to carry 9' seamless backdrops and such. While it's not as convenient as Harley's pickup/camper shell combo for camping, there's enough room to roll out a nice air mattress (cig-lighter powered pump) if I'm too far from a Best Western. The seating and ride is also comfy for long trips, and (with conservative driving) I typically get around 19 MPG on the road. Note that full-size pickup and camper combos don't always fit under certain structures.

David R Munson
15-Jan-2006, 09:27
Others have said more than I will ever know regarding campers. That said, as far as a vehicle for hauling gear for big shoots or longer trips, the hands-down winner IMO is the Honda Element. When I was assisting in Chicago, I had the opportunity to load equipment into just about every sort of vehicle you could imagine. The most grunt-friendly vehicle I loaded was an Element. Well, outside of panel vans and 20' box trucks, anyway, and those aren't any fun to drive, especially in the city.

matthew blais
15-Jan-2006, 09:43
I have Ford Ranger that I put a camper shell on, precisley because tents are a PITA.

I'm only 5'8" so I can sleep in back. Two layers of eggshell foam ($7.00 ea. at Target) covered with blanket and sleeping bag on top of that. Very cozy, and I built some side storage boxes covered with carpet, wood hinged tops to store gear in, but made them narrower than the old "carpet kits" to have 34" width..(my elbow room for sleeping).

Very happy with this set-up, but if you're over 6' tall, then the next size up in trucks would be the ticket.

Radim Sulc
15-Jan-2006, 10:06
Any van made by Westfalia, either VW or Ford (www.westfalia-van.de). Great vans, great features, but high price.

dan nguyen
15-Jan-2006, 10:11
hello Jack,

I used a station wagon, a van, a poptop camper van (VW Westphalia). The Westphalia I have now is very practical to use but underpowered for climbing mountain passes. I look into the Eurovan Camper and talked to some owners, the MPG you mention is correct under normal driving condition and normal load. Try to get one with V6 engine. Since I plan to replace my old Westphalia I have consider these:

- SUV + pop top camper : practical to leave the camper at a site and use the vehicule to go where you want. Not practical to stop for one night at a parking lot.

- a van : practical to stop for one night at a parking lot. Not practical when you camp and use the vehicule to move around because you have to carry everything with you.

- a 4x4 pickup truck with a removable camping module: practical to stop for one night at a parking lot, Practical to leave the camping module at a campsite and use the pickup truck to move around. I consider a 4x4 because there are roads are for 4x4 only.

I have not decide yet.

hope this help.

Kirk Keyes
15-Jan-2006, 10:24
If you want the best, then you've gotta get a Unimog. Made by Mercedes and designed to carry the German army anywhere they want to go. Here's some shots of ones that have been converted to campers.
http://www.unimogwherehaus.com/travelior98.html

I've seen a couple of these out there and they always seem to be involved in around the world trips.

Caroline Matthews
15-Jan-2006, 10:43
I have a full-blooded truck camper--a Bigfoot. I sits on a 4x4 Chevy pick-up with extended cab. It will go just about anywhere a SUV will go, and lets you "camp" in style, stay out as long as the water holds out, take your wife, and has plenty of room for photo gear. It's still relatively new to me, but I spent a few years looking at options and feel I picked one that will fit my needs for a long time. It also lets me use the truck for other things when the camper is off the truck. It may be more than you are looking for, but it's great for me.

Michael Kadillak
15-Jan-2006, 11:28
Yes, Best Western's are everywhere, but there is nothing like being in the field protected from the elements and comfortable in the precise place where you want to make photographs. Plus you do not have to worry about leaving your equipment in the vehicle overnight (or lugging it back and forth each night which is a pain the #!@*& with ULF).

I second the diesel 4x4 long box pickup and the Alaskan bed camper. Great ground clearance, all of the necessary conveniences and absolutely the minimim time to set it up and take it down so you can focus on being exactly where you want to be when the light is optimal. Not cheap, but such is the price of quality.

Cheers!

Mark Windom
15-Jan-2006, 12:42
Ford F-150 with Pastime camper. The camper is lightweight for its size, comfortable, and well made. With the exception of backpacking trips the tent stays in the closet.

Richard Schlesinger
15-Jan-2006, 12:48
I have a Roadtrek which, ifyou aren't familiar with it, is a camper-type on a (the model I have) Chevy van chasis. It is 21' long and has everything - a king size bed in back, stove, water heater etc. If I'm conservative driving I get 15 miles per gallon (300hp V8). I got it after finding that visiting the Four Corners area I could not find a motel near where I wanted to be and I hate bad restaurants, especially for breakfast when I don't want to get up and dressed and go somewhere. I am not a good morning person. Admittedly the Best Western is an option, but I have found them often miserable; noisy, bad beds and generally uncomfortable. And I hate unpacking stuff for one night. The Roadtrek allows me to park on the street in cities and get around most places any car can go; but it is not an off road vehicle and does cost a bit more to operate than a car. But I can haul all the camera stuff I want, stop for lunch and heat a can of soup or whatever, expose some film, and move along. The ideal, I think, would be to have one of these giant land yachts ($300,000+) with a driver to follow along and/or arrive where and when I say. Oh well.

Jan Pietrzak
15-Jan-2006, 12:51
Jack,

One more persons view. I too have used VW CVs 17 years with many trips.
The next move is 1988 Ford f250 with a old pop up camper, and next came a used Alaskan still using Ford. The gas milage is bad but it still gets me out and off the road. 4 wheele drive is not something I ever wanted but a posa-traction to the rear end is fine.

We are both the same age and sleeping on the ground is not for me. The Alaskan is just fine I can get the coffee pot ready the night before and start it in the morning. I do work in large format and designed a film changing tent for the upper bunk.

Every few day we hit a motel or a camp ground with showers to get cleaned up.

Just 2 cents more

Jan Pietrzak

William Mortensen
15-Jan-2006, 12:55
I echo the little pick-up with a camper-shell philosophy. My 2000 2wd/4cyl/5spd Nissan king-cab gets 26mpg highway at 70-75mph. Easy to drive in traffic, decent ground clearance on rough roads, and quite comfortable with a carpet kit and futon in back.

Dan_5988
15-Jan-2006, 13:43
Subaru Outback or legacy wagons are great for roadtripping, AWD, OK gasmilage (about 25mpg highway) you can sleep in the back if you really need to (ive done this a bunch of times although it can be a little cramped with 2 6ish foot people in there) and you can slap a piece of plywood on the roofracks for a decent elevated shooting spot

Doug Dolde
15-Jan-2006, 14:03
Probably the ultimate in performance as well as price.

www.earthroamer.com (http://www.earthroamer.com)

jhogan
15-Jan-2006, 14:32
On a budget? Try this: Late 80's Toyota mini panel van (looks like a cruiser from "Space 1999"). It's a tin box on a small pickup frame. Customize the interior to your own specs, very private. 4cyl (model 24R) engine, between the seats, where it should be, ha.

Like a 50-60's Chevy, cheap parts are available anywhere in the world-eg: new clutch in Tijuana, Mex- US$222.00, installed. Rear wheel drive. Good mileage, even by today's standards (25mpg avg). Bulletproof reliability, good for 250K miles easily. Buy one out west; they rusted on the freighter trip from Japan, but it was superficial.

Downside: insanely loud road noise- on road trips, you must be comfortable with your own thoughts, 'cuz you won't hear anything else until you insulate. Really insulate.

For 4 grand you can have one completely outfitted for any situation. Start with eBay.

robert_4927
15-Jan-2006, 15:07
Land Rover Discovery. Other wise known as a Hummer rescue vehicle. I've owned a few full size 4wd pickups and none can compare off road. The Land Rover has a shorter wheel base than a pickup which gives it an advantage off road. Great ground clearence and plenty of low end torque. The V8 gets 19mpg highway which ain't that bad and the v8 can come in handy when it comes to towing or performance in the mountains. The cargo area is huge. I picked up a 2002 with 38k miles for 15K. A nice wall tent or a pop-up would compliment it nicely. They do make a large tent that attaches to the rear of the vehicle. But I wouldn't want to tie up the vehicle. I would much rather set up a base camp and keep the Land Rover free for getting the equipment to the shot. Especially since I shoot ULF. A full size roof rack with ladder and a brush guard and let the safari begin.

bglick
15-Jan-2006, 15:08
Advancing this discussion beyond the posters exact question......

This is one of the biggest quandries of most serious landscape shooters! Just like cameras, is there is no one perfect rig. But if one has the money, the Earthromer Doug mentions is one sweet rig, of course, it was designed and built by a nature photographer, but at a price tag of $175k USA, it's a bit expensive.

After one has left the vehicle concept, as they need more space, don't like sleeping in the back of it, tired of treking to hotels, etc., then, the big decision is.... do you trail something, or simply use a motorhome type rig, or, as another poster mentioned, the big Foot camper concept, which is very similar to a motorhome, except, you do not have access to the camper through the truck. Of course, much of this is dependent how big you are, how tall you are, how many are travelling with you, your shooting style, how often you use it, etc.

If you often shoot in one area for long periods of time, pulling a trailer or a camper is ideal, as you can dock it at a campsite, and use the truck to photograph during the day. This assumes you don't carry an obsessive amount of gear and you can do without the bathroom, kitchen and working area the motorhome offers.

if you shoot n move constantly, now the dropping-off concept becomes less appealing, as your constnatly going back to pick up the trailer. Also, its not easy riding on roads which are maintained, but not in great shape when you are pulling something. In such a case, the camper on pickup, or all-in-one motohome concept is appealing. I ended up buying a motorhome, as I found it was the best rig for my shooting style, as I tend to stay out for long periods of time, 4 - 6 weeks and need lots space for all my gear. Its one big shortcoming is not being able to access bad roads, in which case, I dock the motorhome and rent an SUV for those times...... Of course, the Earthroamer would solve this problem, but the extra $100k for the rig can justify a lot of SUV rentals. The older i get, the less I shoot far from the motorhome anyway :-) There is not a lot of small motorhomes, but there is a few including the Roadtreks mentioned above, as welll as Winnebago, Rialta, and one company in TX makes van conversion, into 4x4 motorhomes, sort of designed for outdoor photographers.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html

Of course, any rig that weighs a ton, and is top heavy can be dangerous, or at least very hard on the rig when trying taking it off-road. But these sportsmobiles are about the closest you get to a van type motorhome made for offroad, but not cheap, about $90k USA. For me, the problem is headroom, at 6'3", many of the vans are a bit too short, and I hate constnatly ducking.

The other consideration is how often the rig will be used. If you shoot once a year, of course renting a motorhome can be a nice fit, even at $175 a day, its cheap compared to the expense of owning one. If you buy a rig specially for shooting, and do not use if often, you run the incredible expenses and maintenance of keeping a rig operating when not using it. Fuel goes stale, seals start to wear, etc. So the location of where its stored is an issue, as you must constantly go start the rig to keep everything from fouling up.....

Another concern with docking a camper / trailer is, security. When you have expensive items sitting in a rig with no one around, well, its very risky in my opinion, one of the reasons I try to always be close to my vehicle, I even have an alarm, that advises me via a remote control when the alarm has gone off. As most of us spend years of saving and planning to get our photo gear just right. Insurance is not a cozy safeguard. A pit bull would be better :-)

When I started serious landscape photography, I never thought the rig would be my largest nagging concern, constantly dealing with all its issues, maintenance, storage and expenses..... so, this leads us back to the hotel concept......which, if you don't shoot often, sure has its benefits!

Austin Moore
15-Jan-2006, 15:49
I like my 89 Volvo 240 DL for driving around Brooklyn looking for stuff to shoot. Cumfy and good on gas

Steve Hamley
15-Jan-2006, 16:46
Currently I'm using a V8 4Runner which is a nice compromise but a bit short of space if you have a lot of gear or two people.

A friend bought a GMC Savannah van and had it converted to 4WD, and it has plenty of room (enough for a conventional mattress), safe, and microwave. It's a bit bigger than I'd like for an around-town vehicle, and the gas mileage isn't stellar, but it is an attractive option that hasn't been mentioned.

Steve

Nigel Smith
15-Jan-2006, 17:14
for 1-2 people, a Toyota Landcruiser "Troopcarrier" Turbo Diesel, suitablely decked out would make a nice go anywhere vehicle.

some 'commercial' examples, but you could build your own.
http://www.exploroz.com/Images/Vehicle/Choices/Hiring/hitop_troopy.gif
http://www.campa.com.au/images/bushcamper1.jpg
http://www.frontlinecamper.com.au/CV_MH_A/troopcarrier.php

bglick
15-Jan-2006, 17:25
Nigel, that is awesome..... but I never saw a LandCruiser Troopcarrier in the USA. Is this model only sold in OZ? Agreed, the LC is a great starting platform....

Nigel Smith
15-Jan-2006, 19:54
not OZ specific (I've seen them in various parts of the world) but maybe not sold in the U.S.

Actually, your thoughts above (renting one when you need it) are quite appropriate as you can rent these very things here... just the thing for an Outback jaunt! Not the sought of thing I'd want to live with for the other 11 months of the year though!

Bill_1856
15-Jan-2006, 20:13
One of the main problems with landscape photography is that the light is never right. At Motel 6, Tom Bodett always says that he'll keep the light on for you.

John Kasaian
15-Jan-2006, 21:00
Life's great at Super 8!

Alternatively, I prefer to sleep under the stars if at all possible. If I must tent, I'll take one I can stand up and change my clothes in (Montana Canvas "Range Teepee") unless I have to carry the thing on my back, then a vintage Northface 24V gets used

Good Luck!

Ed K.
15-Jan-2006, 21:24
I thought real men used a mule and a sleeping bag or blanket! Speaking of which, take the car to the B&B hotel that is cheaper and better than the "Best", sleep over, then take your hired pack mule or helicopter in the morning! I like the helicopter as the ideal - stay at the B&B, have them pick you up, drop you in location, then come get you at the appointed time!

Seriously, for off-road, get something 4WD small enough to fit between the rocks and trees, and ugly enough that you don' t mind the creosote pinstripes. We wish we could bring a powered hedge clipper next time around to trim the roads. Our 4Runner is A-1 offroad and holds a lot of gear, however it is way too small to sleep in, especially with gear filling it up. Backing up with a trailer on some of the more picturesque routes would be impossible at best, and sometimes there are gaping, deep cracks that have to be negotiated in the road. The trailer would have to stay behind. We've passed numerous wonderful campsites in the Sierras that are absolutely free, have an outhouse, and nobody in sight for miles. The big Ford with shell could just squeeze in there with perhaps a little body damage on the sides and top. What people say about getting parts is really important. We've met people who punctured two tires of an odd size - they had to wait DAYS to get the tires they needed, and the two back from the boonies was really expensive.

The big truck solution sounds hard to beat if you've got wide open spaces and don't mind sleeping in it. I don't think the Hilander is any better than a sedan for offroad. While sedans can get you to some surprising places, ground clearance and the extra hill climbing of 4WD really open up possibilities.

In spring, we'll take a tent and do it the old fashioned way a few nights. Otherwise, the B&B is so comfortable, and if one pre-runs the roads a day before, driving typcial backroads before dawn is often not a problem.

Speaking of mules, there is a pack outfit near Lake Sabrina ( Bishop Area ). They will start pack trips again in the late spring. They know how to pack a 'Dorff right on a mule, and they go from near the Lake all the way into the John Muir Wilderness. It might be interesting to get a small group of photogs together to make a sort of "custom" trip that might be just the ticket. Anyone interested?

Jim Quinn
15-Jan-2006, 22:14
Jack,

Mark Fisher mentioned the Casita. I had a 17' Casita for four years and pulled it with a 2 wheel drive Chevy Blazer V6. Loved it! Sold it in May because I lost my job and needed the money and have been kicking myself since! It was the perfect size, economical, but with plenty of room for me and my former brown-eyed blonde roommate (Lab/Whippet mix). Fully self-contained, I could stay out for a few days and the only time I needed to plug in was if I wanted to use the A/C or the microwave. Beautiful setup--my own private office with sleeping space, etc. It didn't take long to hitch or ditch, and even with the trailer the gas mileage wasn't bad. Alone, the Blazer got 20-22 mpg on the highway and 18 mpg around the city. The Blazer had room for anything I needed to carry and served as a platform for elevated photography. I used the Casita for a portable office, too. When on the road as a salesman it was nice to have my own office, bedroom and kitchen with me. I didn't have to worry about finding a quiet restaurant to have a cup of tea while I returned phone calls--I simply pulled off the road somewhere and did it! I found that it saved me a substantial amount of time by allowing me to prepare my own meals and not have to have someone wait on me at a restaurant. It was built to withstand a severe storm and the white fiberglass body really never got very hot, even in Texas. In the summer I was able to pull off the road, open the wide windows and turn on the ceiling fan and was quite comfortable within a few minutes. It had a huge fridge that made ice faster than my home fridge, and it was tight as a drum in storms. Dust was never a problem--they build the Casita well. My plans are to buy another one and add a small, quiet Honda E2000i generator for running the A/C when it's really hot, or when I just want to be lazy and use the microwave. Others have mounted this particular model of generator on the tongue. Mine had all the options, including a very large roll-out awning and outside shower which came in very handy for washing sand off the feet. I've used tents, fold-downs and travel trailers and would stick with the Casita, though next time I will get the V8 Tahoe for a little better margin of performance, even though the V6 was quite adequate. The only gripe I had about the Casita was that the rear bumper was not quite sturdy enough for a bicycle rack. Otherwise--I'll have another next year and won't part with it again.

Just my two cents' worth. Hope it helps.

Jim Quinn
Longview, TX

Doug Dolde
15-Jan-2006, 22:57
The problem with motorhomes in the USA is that they are designed for Mr and Mrs Retiree who like plush luxury. Now down under where men are men they have units like this:

www.around-oz.com/sales/motorhomes_for_sale/mitchell.htm (http://www.around-oz.com/sales/motorhomes_for_sale/mitchell.htm)

Scott Knowles
16-Jan-2006, 11:46
Lots of responses, so you have a wide range of answers. I'm 56+ and prefer a good bed, hot shower, and a good cup of coffee (after enough camping trips and 13+ years of field work), so I like the nearest good motel/hotel answer. Other than that I own a 1991 VW Syncro (bought new) that damn near goes anywhere in almost any weather, and provides room to carry stuff, rest and/or sleep (emergencies), and stay warm and dry before/after hiking. I wouldn't recommend one unless you understand the costs (very reliable and durable but expensive when it's time for service or repairs once you find a shop), but they're, in my view, the best overall vehicle around. It has a 1-ton carrying capacity and still gets 18-20 mpg all the time.

If I had to recommend something, try the Eurovan Westphalia/camper. They're still recent to get and service at any VW dealer/shop. I understand VW sold a 4WD version outside the US(?) if you can import one, and there are the full camper versions avaible (Canada?). But beware they're fast becoming wanted as the older van and campers.

Good luck.

Bruce Schultz
16-Jan-2006, 17:46
F-250 with a Northstar has made an excellent base camp for photography. I hope to go to West Texas on a foray in a couple of weeks. At night, I set up the changing tent and reload holders. Since we're often in unlit areas, I've wondered if I could get away with loading holders without the changing tent.
Truck campers do require some extra suspension. I have air bags and added a couple of leaf springs. Tomorrow, I'll buy a new set of 10-ply tires. Mileage sucks, about 12 mpg, but the convenience of being able to park anywhere and sleep makes up for it.

Caroline Matthews
16-Jan-2006, 22:40
Doug,

It looks like a cross between a street sweeping machine, an armored truck, and an RV.

Jack Brady
17-Jan-2006, 04:43
What an interesting collection of different ways we are all going about doing the same thing!

While jogging yesterday I thought I had found the answer: 2001-2003 VW Eurovan Full Camper towing a small flat trailer with an ATV on it. Rig the ATV with dustproof Pelican cases that I could load with camera when taking off down trails. Seemed like the ATV could take me to places no 4x4 would go - narrow, agile and very rugged.

Well, I checked the Consumer Reports web site last night and WOW - in my next life I'll come back as a Eurovan repairman and become very wealthy! Their service record is likely the worse I've ever seen! Score of 2 out of 10, 10 being what you want.

Killed that idea.

Back to re-reading all of the above and pondering the wisdom of using something like a RoadTrek built on the MB diesel chassie. Looks like you can pick one up for about $58K new and I'll look for a used one. That would allow the implimentation of the ATV idea and it reportedly gets 22-24 MPG on diesel.

Also looking at the new Nissan/Airstream Base Camp unit. However, it seems expensive for what you get and the idea of waking up in the early hours of the AM, doing a run in the country side with the ATV, then pulling a muddy, oil and gas smelling ATV into where I'm going to sleep that night does not excite me. (Logic being that after the morning run I'm packing up and moving to a new location.)

In closing, thanks for all of the alternative ideas - I particular like the mindset of the "Chaps Down Under", however impractical, it was fun to see.

Best,
Jack

Jim Becia
17-Jan-2006, 07:54
I'll give another thumbs up for the little Honda Element. I own one and have used it f0ur times since May for extended trips both to Utah and the Upper Midwest. On the Utah trip I slept in it for a total of 12 out of 14 nights with comfort (I'm 6 feet tall). Just put down some padding for your sleeping bag, move the front seats forward and you have about 6.5 feet to stretch out. For a vehicle of this size, the interior room is incredible. I added a Yakima system on top, removed the back seats, and I have enough room for all my equipment, supplies, etc. It gets decent mileage, and for an all wheel vehicle does very well on rough roads. I love the car and it's the perfect photography vehicle for me. Just as an aside, it has a nice little cd stereo and an audio jack for my iPod. I also carry a "PowerPac". This will give me about 20 hours of light using a small lamp with a flourescent bulb and it will recharge through the lighter jack. It's wonderful to read by and to cook by after dark. Jim

Eric Rose
17-Jan-2006, 12:06
My 1971 VW hippy van is the perfect thing for me! Has the pop up top too. Ever had the problem that you are wizzing down the highway and spy something really cool to photograph, but you just figure it's to much bother to slow down and stop. Not a problem with my van! I never get going that fast in the first place. 55mph is just a nice cruising speed for me.

Doug Dolde
20-Jul-2006, 17:00
I'm in the Best Western camp. 9 out of 10 Best Westerns are stellar...a few are below average. I like a real bed, TV and shower. You can stay a lot of nights for the cost AND hassle of owning an RV or camper...and a tent is totally out of the question.

Greg
20-Jul-2006, 17:40
1971 VW Type 2 Van - always runs, great on gas, goes anywhere, but no AC can be a disadvantage.
1991 Vanagon Camper - all the above and more, 4WD if you can find one, my favorite
Eurovan Camper Conversion - WOW a friend has one and it is awsome... luxurious compared to the above but up there in $$$.
Best thing is that you can easily store a complete 11x14 view outfit, and 8x10 outfit, and much more in hidden storage places. From the outside looking through the windows nothing screams "camera equipment inside"
Greg

Bill_1856
20-Jul-2006, 19:17
Vespa and Motel 6.

Frank Petronio
20-Jul-2006, 19:44
You know, there is something ironic about all these environmentalists driving monster trucks out into the desert in order to find more pristine wilderness.

Did you ever think that if you didn't go 4x4ing there might be a little more pristine wilderness?

Excuse me, I gotta go kill some Iranians now.

Chris Strobel
20-Jul-2006, 20:19
My Jeep Cherokee.Gets me into those places that are hard to hike into, and with the seat folded down makes a cozy bed :)

http://www.pbase.com/cloudswimmer/image/61840350/original.jpg

Charles
20-Jul-2006, 20:20
You have to decide what type of photography you want to do. If you want to spend every night in a Best Western, then you're going to be limited to overlooks and short day hikes. But some of the 'good stuff' requires a two or three day, or more, backpack and a tent.

For what's it worth, from the outback of Death Valley to various locations in southern UT and northern AZ, my Subaru Forester has never failed to get me to a trailhead .

cyrus
20-Jul-2006, 21:33
I've seen photos of Ansel Adams where he's standing with his camera on some sort of platform that has been welded onto the top of a jeep-like vehicle (or was it a pick up?)

Alan Davenport
20-Jul-2006, 22:29
A diesel pickup pulling a 30' fifth wheel. With the 5er as base camp, I can go all day and come back to better accomodations than most hotels. When the weather goes to heck I have a comfortable place to wait it out. I know I miss lots of photo ops, but I don't much like sleeping on the ground anymore...

j.e.simmons
21-Jul-2006, 06:14
I've seen photos of Ansel Adams where he's standing with his camera on some sort of platform that has been welded onto the top of a jeep-like vehicle (or was it a pick up?)

Ansel used a platform on a number of vehicles - one was a big GM car from just post-WWII, another I've seen was on an International Harvester Travelall - the big brother of the Chevy Surburban.

I had a similar platform on my FJ-40 Toyota Landcrusiers. They were mounted on clamps to the rain gutters. Trouble now is that few vehicles have the rain gutters.

I'm in the 4WD Ford Ranger camp - although the new Toyota Landcruiser FJ looks tempting.
juan

Jim Ewins
21-Jul-2006, 06:56
Jack, at our age (over 70) we like the self contained, no slepping luggage in to motels, bad food in the local etc. You could consider the Artic Fox, fits on a LargePU. It is beautiful, has WC & shower, reasonable holding tanks, kitchen etc. Alas, little room for a full darkroom, but fine for a changing tent. Jim

Peter Roody
21-Jul-2006, 07:00

Check this out for a modern version of Ansel's rig:

http://www.maximog.com/vehicle.html

Peter

Kirk Gittings
21-Jul-2006, 07:09
I spent twenty years with an old VW camper, a great vehicle if you are not in a hurry, but you need to be a decent mechanic to solve problems in the field. I was. I could change a clutch in 1 hour in the field if I had a spare and a small transmission jack handy. Gordon Hutchings is still driving one.

I went from that to a Ramcharger, a powerful beast. I guess I was over compensating for the VW. Then I went to a 98 Mazda MPV 4x4 (not the van by that name they have now). It was a great vehicle. I currently have 210k on it and will replace it next week with a 04 Toyota Tacoma, 4x4, double cab with a shell. The 04 Tacoma has the best repair record of any Toyota pick-up and that is really saying something. I found one with only 20k on it in mint condition.

cyrus
21-Jul-2006, 08:22

Peter

Yes, please - buy more of those! Everyone needs at least two! (said the grinning Iranian...)

Michael Gordon
21-Jul-2006, 08:29
The 04 Tacoma has the best repair record of any Toyota pick-up and that is really saying something.

I'm currently on a 2002 Tacoma 4x4 with 70k miles that has not had one bit of service besides oil changes. This truck replaced my 1988 Toyota SR22 which had 300,000 miles and was still running very strong. I sold it for $1000. The '88 had no significant work done, was on the original engine and only on the 2nd clutch. Toyota's are amazing - I'm not sure what anyone would buy anything else.

I'm reasonably young, so I stay unshaven/unshowered for days on end, and grovel in the dirt next to a fire like a man should :D

Chris Strobel
21-Jul-2006, 08:55
Lol.....Unimog, great rigs, very customizable.We rented one in mexico.A little tipsy in the rocks, but verrrrry cool looking.I like the ones with the camper on the back.The ultimate expedition vehicle

Peter

Mark Sampson
21-Jul-2006, 12:23
Last Christmas I went to a huge Adams retrospective at the Boston MFA. One of the text/graphics dividers between sections contained a huge enlargement of Ansel standing with his 8x10 on the roof platform... of his 1941 Cadillac woody station wagon. No doubt the best and most expensive tool available at the time; from my memory of his autobiography he must have just upgraded from a c.1938 Pontiac woody. I'd love to have either of those cars now, just not for off-road work.

Bruce
21-Jul-2006, 14:23
Been there, done that. I have been through a number of rv's and trailers over the years, and there is no perfect solution. What I have found to work best for me, is a self contained motor home, with a small vehicle pulled behind it. You drive the big rig to the area, park it, unhook the small vehicle for day trips. A small 4x4 like a geo tracker or some such would be ideal. Yes, the rig sucks fuel- but, you can minimize that by the " mother ship " concept witht the smaller vehicle. In exchange, I get comfort, a full bathroom, satelite tv, ac, etc, etc. It is not camping in any way shape or form, it is like having a portable hotel room. It is very comfortable going down the road, something to keep in mind if you cover many miles.
Trailers can be great, but the set-up take down time can be a drag, and you have to have a signifigant vehicle to pull one with, leaving you with a gas hog to drive once you get where you are going.
As to the fuel cost- yes it is high, but you have to put things in perspective. When we take a trip, it is my wife and I, two dogs. No bill for boarding the dogs, full kitchen so meals don't have to cost more than at home. When compared to airfare, hotel, meal costs, it comes out to be pretty reasonable. Also, lots of the places I end up going are nowhere near air service anyway.
Fact is, it is getting expensive to travel anyway one wants to do it. I cut other corners so I can do it.

Kerry L. Thalmann
21-Jul-2006, 16:17
Glad to see this thread revived. I meant to post the last time around and never got around to it. I've been using a Wildernest Adventure Camper as my home away from home for the last 15 years. This is something that looks like a typical fiberglass pick-up shell, but it flips open to reveal a large pop-up tent. I'll have to dig around and find some photos of my rig, but until I do, here's a pic and links to a couple more I found online:

http://www.jsl.com/~kd6nhn/wildnest.jpg

Wildernest Open (http://www.stuver.com/trips/Morning%20Spring%20Rain%20June%202002/Mountain%20Spring%20Rain%20June%202002%20Andrew%20Truck.jpg)

Wildernest Closed (http://www.stuver.com/trips/Morning%20Spring%20Rain%20June%202002/Mountain%20Spring%20Rain%20June%202002%20Wildernest%20with%20Bike%20Rack%20on%20Truck.jpg)

I think you get the idea.

Mine originally rode on the back of a 1990 Nissan Hardbody 4x4, but I totaled that truck in a rollover (the Wildernest suffered only very minor cosmetic damage). It now rides on a 1998 Nissan Frontier 4x4.

Probably the best thing about the Wildernest is that when it's folded up, you don't even notice it's there. It does not negatively impact my gas mileage. It fits in any standard garage and any standard parking space. It has absolutely no negative impact on the day-to-day use of my truck. If I need to haul something messy in the back of the truck, the carpet kit slides out and has a bed liner beneath it for easy clean-up.

When opened, the height from the floor to the ridgeline is 8˝ ft. The top bed sleeps two adults and holds up to 1000 lbs. without additional support - according to the manufacturer. I haven't verified that claim, but it held me (I'm a big guy at 6'4" 230 lbs.) and my wife when she was very pregnant with our twins without problem. The carpet kit in the bed of the truck also makes into a second bed capable of sleeping two more people in a pinch. I've had three people sleeping in it on a number of occasions, but never tried four.

I can set it up or fold it down by myself in about five minutes (or even faster with a second person). It opens from within, so the interior and all your gear remains dry even if you have to set it up during a downpour in the Hoh Rain Forest (I know this from experience). It has covered roof vents fore and aft and large zippered, screened side windows for maximum air circulation.

I'm not a hard core off roader, but I have taken it to some pretty remote backcountry locations in Oregon, California and Utah. It's great to be able to get away from the crowds and still camp in relative luxury. Some of my fondest memories are of nights spent in the middle of nowhere my Wildernest.

I outfit it with a few items to make it very liveable, inlcuding a Coleman heater and stove, a small Weber table top propane grill (great for steaks, pork chops or barbeque chicken) and a cooler for food and beverages. It's always on my truck and I keep the minimal aceessories in the storage compartments built into the carpet kit. This allows me to stop and spend the night anywhere on the spur of the moment. I've spent hundreds of nights in it over the last 15 years everywhere from commercial campgrounds to National and State Parks to "dispersed camping" on BLM land.

As my Nissan trucks are four cylinder models, I get decent mileage (18 MPG around town and up to 25 MPG on the highway). Not great, but better than a gas guzzler SUV or large motor home - especially since most of the driving on my photo trips is highway mileage getting to/from the general area I'm going to.

Unfortunately, the Wildernest hasn't been made in years. It went out of production in the early 1990s, was briefly revived in the mid 1990s, but hasn't been made in about 10 years. I still see them around from time to time. The dealer that sold them up here was a big proponent (had one himself). So, I see them around locally (in fact, I parked next to one in the economy lot at Portland airport when I flew to Rockford for the LF Conference last month). I've also seen them occasionally camping in places like Joshua Tree and Arches, but the sightings are getting less frequent.

It's not for everyone, but I like mine. It has served me well. I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of it and will miss it if I ever decide to sell it. We now have a Coleman tent trailer that we haul behind the minivan for family camping trips. It's roomier and has luxuries like built-in furnace, stove, refrigerator, hot and cold running water, etc., but when I go off on a photo trip, either by myself, with a fellow photographer, or one of my kids, I always take the Wildernest.

Kerry

QT Luong
21-Jul-2006, 16:49
Kerry's set-up is really nice, but given the choice, with nice summer weather, I chose to bivy outside. I used to think that the more time you spent outside a shelter, the more you'd be connected to nature, and that this would result in better landscape images. I've somewhat noticed a degradation in my LF work since I started sleeping in my Subaru station wagon, but this could also be due to owning a digital camera, or having two kids :-)

Forrest Atkins
21-Jul-2006, 17:14
Very interesting discussion. I hope to maximize time in the field while minimizing cost so interested in camper options. For now planning to attach a rooftop carrier to my mid-size 4x4 SUV. By throwing non-essentials on top hope to create space for an air-mattress as these old bones can no longer tolerate sleeping on the ground.

Scott Rosenberg
23-Jul-2006, 19:41
i have found this (http://www.srosenberg.com/Website7/camper1.html) rig in my truck to work brilliantly. it's capable enough off road to get me anywhere i'm comfortable enough to venture, and when the weather gets really rough, the platform allows me to sleep in relative comfort inside the vehicle.

roteague
23-Jul-2006, 19:59
I'm currently on a 2002 Tacoma 4x4 with 70k miles that has not had one bit of service besides oil changes. This truck replaced my 1988 Toyota SR22 which had 300,000 miles and was still running very strong. I sold it for $1000. The '88 had no significant work done, was on the original engine and only on the 2nd clutch. Toyota's are amazing - I'm not sure what anyone would buy anything else.

I had a Chevy S-10 4x4 Blazer that was amazing - 252,000 miles, original engine, original transmission. The only major item I ever changed was the water pump. Too bad, it go totalled.

cyrus
23-Jul-2006, 20:14
i have found this (http://www.srosenberg.com/Website7/camper1.html) rig in my truck to work brilliantly. it's capable enough off road to get me anywhere i'm comfortable enough to venture, and when the weather gets really rough, the platform allows me to sleep in relative comfort inside the vehicle.

Great idea but MAN! you need some contrast between the text and background on the site!

roteague
23-Jul-2006, 22:07

Nice Scott, it looks like a winner. :)

John Kasaian
24-Jul-2006, 07:39
How about a mule with a 28" ear-span? ;)

Paul Coppin
30-Jul-2006, 07:23
My Jeep Cherokee.Gets me into those places that are hard to hike into, and with the seat folded down makes a cozy bed :)

http://www.pbase.com/cloudswimmer/image/61840350/original.jpg

How long did you have to wait for the evac? :D

I currently use a F150 towing a 21ft lightweight Jayco. The trailer is the "base camp", from which I'll sally forth with a lightweight tent if I expect a walkback over two or three days, or if I jumping off with a canoe (or a zodiac). I head out more in the shoulder seasons, so furnace, hot water are nice on cold fall nights. Someone did observe when I bought the trailer that it represented about 10 winter vacations in the Carribean...

Darcy Cote
30-Jul-2006, 12:30
Check out these!

http://www.autohomeus.com/

cyrus
30-Jul-2006, 21:49
oh yeah, I see an accident waiting to happen with those!

Darcy Cote
31-Jul-2006, 16:34
You mean if you have your truck in neutral while you are sleeping in the tent? Sounds like something for the darwin awards. :-)

Ed Richards
31-Jul-2006, 17:13
We do not have much in the way of mountains, or even hills, but we have lots of water, esp. after hurricanes. Any recommendations for vehicles that are good for getting through water, other than boats and Ducks.

Jim Jones
1-Aug-2006, 19:08
I've used a 4WD Ranger with 7' bed and camper shell. My current one, with 5 speed transmission, averages 19.5 mpg with the 3 liter engine. It can't keep up with some rigs in the mountains, but does better than many. A plywood platform on the shell provides a good vantage point for a few photos. When doing this, wedging lengths of 1x2 between frame and ground improve stability. The shell slept two after moving some gear to the cab. This little pickup is my primary vehicle in the sticks, too.

Chris Strobel
1-Aug-2006, 19:50
Thats one of the easier parts of that trail.Having Detroit lockers front and rear, 4:88 gears, and an Atlas II transfer case makes trails like these a piece of cake.Problem these days is I can't afford gas to get out there :(

How long did you have to wait for the evac? :D

I currently use a F150 towing a 21ft lightweight Jayco. The trailer is the "base camp", from which I'll sally forth with a lightweight tent if I expect a walkback over two or three days, or if I jumping off with a canoe (or a zodiac). I head out more in the shoulder seasons, so furnace, hot water are nice on cold fall nights. Someone did observe when I bought the trailer that it represented about 10 winter vacations in the Carribean...

Michael Kadillak
1-Aug-2006, 21:20
The best set up for the field is any 3/4 ton and up long bed diesel 4x4 pickup and an Alaskan Camper in the bed. Immediate comfortability and complete protection from the elements so you can be at your full capacities when it is time to photograph.

Anyone that says that they would rather sleep outdoors is either: 1) a former Navy Sea, 2) cheap, 3) never experienced the wrath of the high country or 4) just does not know any better. From Grizzly bears walking through our camp to a foot of snow on the 4th of July I have seen it all over the years growing up in Montana. Even in the back country these days it is wall tents and full sized propane stoves along with pack mules and real meals. A good nights sleep and a warm meal properly protected from the elements is absolutely critical to maintaining your full mental capacities to photograph.

Chris Strobel
1-Aug-2006, 21:46
I think that all depends on what field you are talking about.The Rubicon, Jackhammmer, Panamint Valley, Johnson Valley, and Duesy for example (California Sierra Nevadas), you won't get very far in a 3/4 ton pickup with an alaskan low profile camper as nice as they are.You have no choice but to either sleep in a tent, on your roof rack, or in the back of your rig if its a Toyota forerunner/pickup, Landcruiser, Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee, etc.

The best set up for the field is any 3/4 ton and up long bed diesel 4x4 pickup and an Alaskan Camper in the bed. Immediate comfortability and complete protection from the elements so you can be at your full capacities when it is time to photograph.

Anyone that says that they would rather sleep outdoors is either: 1) a former Navy Sea, 2) cheap, 3) never experienced the wrath of the high country or 4) just does not know any better. From Grizzly bears walking through our camp to a foot of snow on the 4th of July I have seen it all over the years growing up in Montana. Even in the back country these days it is wall tents and full sized propane stoves along with pack mules and real meals. A good nights sleep and a warm meal properly protected from the elements is absolutely critical to maintaining your full mental capacities to photograph.

robert amsden
7-Apr-2008, 11:50
I use a pop up for family camping and I'd discourage you from going that direction. The advantages of a pop up are cost/sq ft and towing weight. We have a small one and originally towed it with a Honda Accord (not in the mountains!) and did not have much money to spend so it way good for our growing family. The disadvantage is that they take a fairly long time to set up and take down....especially in the rain. That is not too big a deal if you are staying a week at a location, but would get pretty old if you were moving every couple of days. They are also not incredibly durable. We have a Coleman/Fleetwood and they were the best built we could find at the time and it still is low-grade mobile home quality.
One other direction worth considering is a small fiberglass hard shell trailer. Scamper and Casita are the two I've seen. They are a bit heavier than a pop up, but you don't need to pop it up. For one or two people, it looks like a good alternative.
One thing other thing to consider with the self contained (Eurovan) or a tow behind: the trailer can stay on the site while you go out in the morning or evening to photograph. Bad security-wise, good because you don't need to put everything away and also good if you are traveling with any non-photographers.

robert amsden
7-Apr-2008, 11:56
A 13 ft scamp is about 1000 lbs. Lighter than most if not all popups. A casita is far heaver than a scamp.

robert amsden
7-Apr-2008, 11:58

robert amsden
7-Apr-2008, 12:09
A 13 ft scamp weighs 1000 lbs. It is lighter than most if not all popups. A casita is far heaver than a scamp. And it does not need to be set up, very handy when you need a bathroom fast.

al olson
7-Apr-2008, 17:47
I am going the way of Jim Quinn and Mark Fisher's recommendations. I purchased a new, deluxe (has all the amenities), 13-foot Scamp to go with my 10-year-old 4Runner. By itself the 4Runner gives me 4-wheel mobility and better gas mileage. The Scamp is light enough so that it does not decrease the mpg much more a pickup camper would and I can park it and drive the 4-wheel roads without a heavy camper bouncing me around and reducing my gas mileage.

I recently entered my eighth decade and I, too, am tired of sleeping on the ground [except for a 6-day Green River canoe trip in early May and some Boundary Waters canoeing this fall] and tenting in the dust of the Four Corners area. There are many government campgrounds and parks that are free or nearly free in this area and they are much closer to my photographic interests than the hour or more drive if I were staying in a motel.

As an aging Colorado resident I qualify for the Aspen Pass that gets me into state parks for free and qualifies me for half price camping discounts from Sunday through Thursday in those thirty-some parks (out of the 44) that have campsites and many also have full hook-ups. I plan to visit as many as I can this summer.

For those of you planning to attend Foto 3, there is a nice county park, Horsetooth Reservoir, near Ft. Collins that has full hookups at a reasonable fee. I've made my reservations.

Kuzano
7-Apr-2008, 18:23
The Honda Element gets good mileage and has seats that fold flat to make a bed. I noticed recently that Dodge is selling a european-style delivery commercial panel van (possibly a rebadged Mercedes truck) it looked like an excellent LF roaming car.

There is a Mercedes deisel equipped van based on the Dodge (Sprinter??) These are the new tall vans you see being used by UPS and other commercial. They are also being outfitted as small RV's. I have a friend who is looking seriously after hearing some bad stories on the Eurovans, again ???. But, the base on just the SWB van is $30,000. The RV equipped are $50 to 80K.

Nathan Potter
7-Apr-2008, 20:05
I've used a Casita fiberglass trailer with my 99 4 runner for several years. Absolutely ideal situation for photo trips with the wife. She will sometimes stay in the Casita watching TV or what ever while I go off into into the backcountry with the 4 runner for photography. The Casita is nominally 1600 lbs and pulling it gets me down to 13 MPG. The 4 runner is unsurpassed for backroad clearance and reliability. Just 200,000 mi on it now with never a failure of any kind. It has successfully surmounted the jeeptrail up Blanca Peak (s. Colorado) to the alpine lake and even a good part of the way over the trail to the Grasshopper Glacier north of Cooke City in the Bitterroot MTS. in Montana. I used to hike these but age requires a mobile strategy nowadays.

Nate Potter

Dave Wooten
7-Apr-2008, 21:31
4 x 4 diesel Excursion-16 ft Wilderness travel trailer (800.00 used). The Excursion itself--is plenty large to sleep in with twin mattress and all my gear. The milage isnt that bad 16-19.8 and lots of power (if I I don t get on the turbo or cop an attitude). I also have an old jeep cherokee which does pretty well, but out here I don t trust it in extreme heat. I ve had them boil and blow. Never a problem with that with the diesel -it can run or idle all day with the air on- I have done some pretty challenging riverbeds (dry) and back roads with this car-Nevada and Mojave County Arizona areas Disadvantage of course for a true off roader or climber is the long wheel base and the width. I am not much of a hiker. I like big coolers and fine beverages and some nice shade to set up the tripod.

Ben Chase
7-Apr-2008, 21:33
Most of the time, I just sleep in my truck if I am not backpacking somewhere. It's cheap, easy, and pretty darn weatherproof ;)

jeffoto
7-Apr-2008, 22:05
This is my first post here. I've recently become interested in 4x5, but have not bought one, yet.

At any rate, I've been a professional photographer for 25+ years (newspapers) and am moving toward doing more nature.

I use a 4Runner with a roof top tent as someone previously mentioned similar to the autohomeus.com. Roof top tents are common in Australia and Africa, just catching on here in the states. Convenient, comfortable, etc ...

If you require going into rough terrain, and need 4wd to get there for the photos (responsible 4-wheeling is totally compatible with environmental goals as long as you stay on the trails and follow tread lightly principles). A rooftop tent ( http://www.autohomeus.com/ ), or a 4wheel Popup Camper ( http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/ )or a Adventure Trailer ( http://www.adventuretrailers.com/ ) are great ways to go for spending time in remote locations.

If you don't need real 4wd capabilities, I know of a few people that have Honda Elements that work tremendously well for their needs.

Jeffrey Sipress
7-Apr-2008, 23:08
I have found my perfect photo-wagon:

http://www.machinearts.com/smbpics/inyos1.jpg

http://www.machinearts.com/smbpics/bigsurvan1.jpg

Hollis
8-Apr-2008, 00:12
Jeffrey, I have driven those conversions before and they are awesome, great vehicles.

My setup is a 2002 quad cab tacoma with a camper shell (with side windows that open up). I have a 3" lift, air compressor, custom bumper, beefy electrical system, solar panels, winch, rock sliders, etc. etc. etc. that I use to get really really far off the beaten path. MPG is about 22 on the highway. I wish I had a bit longer bed but I usually just park next to a tree and string my hammock off one corner of my roof rack. Here I am in Gonzaga Bay, Baja this time last year...

Dave Jeffery
8-Apr-2008, 04:22
I spent some time considering the same thing and opted for a used heavy duty van with a camping conversion for use in the desert SW which is typically dry.

Cost w/ 60K miles in great shape ~$5,000 – can be totally vandalized and who cares.
Although the gas mileage is low the cost savings and advantages IMHO are:
No need to pay for comprehensive insurance for a newer vehicle
The van will not depreciate in value very much between 60K and 98K miles
The extra fuel cost is about $2,800 over four years, 40K miles which again is less than insurance and depreciation on many vehicles.
The van can be parked outside your house and you wouldn’t think someone was sleeping in it – fairly discrete, can be parked anywhere and it doesn’t stand out
No high top that becomes a pain to park in low clearance parking structures.
Lighter than a truck with a camper on top
The frame is the same as a truck frame – not 4x4 clearance, but truck clearance, the same as a Silverado for my GMC. The gas savings over a full size 4x4 will cover having to rent a 4x4 when needed.

I’m wanted to lighten up the van and increase storage. Fortunately the rear seats could be removed easily. I took the heavy electric bed folding mechanism out, and put the seat cushion and backrest together lengthways in the van on 2x4 and plywood supports to make a 54” wide bed. I lucked out in making it the right height that a Contico storage box with a 4” custom made foam cushion, 54” wide would sit on the storage container and make the bed 54” x 80” long. This was the optimal size I measured for a bed.
There was enough room behind the front seat for a cooler and water jug in front of the bed, and by putting a duffle bag with clothes on the cooler the bed is now about 92” long.
Lots of easy to access storage under the bed from the side of the van. One can sit on the bed and shoot pictures out the side doors on windy days. Cheap folding aluminum tables can be set up inside on rainy days and I’ve cooked on stoves between the side doors on chilly, windy days.

A simple $18 single burner propane stove will heat the inside to 80 degrees in about 20 minutes on very cold nights. Don’t asphyxiate yourself by being inside with no windows open while the burner is on. One morning I fired up the heater while I was in bed and warmed all my clothes and boots up (girly man that morning). I use a solar shower.

All my camping needs are in the plastic boxes with the folding tops that can be moved in and out of the back of the van easily.

I usually travel with one other person and have all the room and comforts needed.

mrladewig
8-Apr-2008, 08:52
First off, I have to say as campers go, Jefferey's Sportsmobile has to be one of the most versatile. Better fuel mileage and smaller track than a Unimog radio truck and good 4WD capability. I like the Mercedes Benz campers I've seen lately too, but obviously not as capable off highway.

I have a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon on 33" tires with a little lift. I wish I had the longer wheelbase Rubicon, but they didn't come out until a year after I bought mine. I use a tent, same one I usually use backpacking. But trailers like the adventure trailer are certainly feasible. There are actually a few different makes of that type of trailer. The downside of the trailer (I have friends who have jeep trailers and take them on some really tough trails) is that you need to find a fairly big chunk of level ground compared to a tent, and it needs to be along side the road. The upside of the trailer is that its off the ground and can carry a bunch of extra gear. But I can put the tent anywhere I need it and I can take the back seat out of the jeep to have a good amont of free space. And when I take the jeep I go for a comfy setup with two sleeping pads (big luxury compared to backpacking :) ).

Some things might surprise you about the jeep though. The Rubicon gets about 19 mpg stock. The models with more street like tires get better mileage though) Bigger tires usually reduce the fuel economy a bit and so does the higher profile so I get about 17mpg with mine and some get closer to 14mpg. The jeep has a smaller side profile than alot of SUVs, so it doesn't get blown around in the wind quite as much. Rubicon is not all that good in the type of snow you usually encounter on highways though. It is pretty good in deep snow. It is quite comfortable for me. The AC and heat are excellent. The driver controls are well laid out. The seating is well structured and the driving position is quite good for long hauls. On the other hand, my wife hates it for anything over a couple hours. Its definitely not the vehicle for everyone, but it will take you places few other vehicles can go. If you've never driven a vehicle with front and rear lockers, you'd be surprised what it will get over, especially with the 66:1 low gear.

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/728-1/Mel_s_Jeep_02.jpg

Jim Fitzgerald
8-Apr-2008, 09:14
Jeffrey, your sportsmobile is nice! how long have you had it? I'm trying to decide on a future vehicle and this looks like a great possibility. Did you pick that up used? What does it have inside. Forgive the stupid questions but I'm not familiar with it.

JIm

anchored
8-Apr-2008, 09:29
I'm surprised no one has yet hit on the "perfect" vehicle for photo field work (as long as budget isn't of principal concern):

That's a Prevost RV towing a Land Rover. The Prevost can be placed near location and provides better accommodations than any Best Western (short of having someone make your bed for you)... the Land Rover lets you get into the rough country.

But... since I can't afford the Land Rover, let alone the Prevost, I have to settle for flying to locations, renting 4-wheel drive SUV's, and using hotels as "base camps"... gotta have that hot shower and The Weather Channel while on trips.

Daniel Grenier
8-Apr-2008, 09:39
...That's a Prevost RV ....

How's this one .... complete with full camouflage for those wanting to go "unnoticed".

Eric Woodbury
8-Apr-2008, 10:06
Here's another vote for a van. I have a Ford E350 that I had converted by Sportmobile. If you don't get all the extras, the top alone is only $4k. Mine is built for the family and me, but we don't have 4WD (I don't want to get stuck that far from the road) nor extra batteries nor propane nor a refrig (you can buy a lot of ice for $1000). Very basic. I built a platform in the back that sleeps 2 with gear underneath. Kids sleep 'upstairs'. Added 2 extra captain's seats behind the front seats for kids.

The other pic is a monster Mercedes in Amboy. They probably drove over from Germany.

(Pix by Lynn)

mrladewig
8-Apr-2008, 14:26
The other pic is a monster Mercedes in Amboy. They probably drove over from Germany.

(Pix by Lynn)

Thats kinda like the Unimog radio trucks I was talking about. It is a Unimog of course, just a different configuration. There is a nice bright yellow one like that in my neighborhood, but without the topper.

The radio truck version is basically the same with a box built on the back instead of a truck bed. In service the box would hold electronic equipment for field deployment, but I've seen a few of them converted into a sort of RV.

Nacio Jan Brown
9-Apr-2008, 01:51
I love my Outfitter Caribou 8 on an F-250 4x4. Outfitter will work with you in customizing pretty much however you want. I have mine set up with 3 solar panels which are more than enough to keep the 12v refrigerator and the heater fan running. I have a friend with a 17' Casita who says that there is effectively more room in the Caribou.
http://www.outfittermfg.com/home.htm

mdd99
12-Apr-2008, 15:32
For kick-butt photos, how about a Hummer H3 Alpha? It was rated best 4-wheeler of 2008 by Four-Wheeler Magazine.

J_Tardiff
13-Apr-2008, 15:57
What a neat thread... we turned to RVing vacations with our kids a few years ago -- almost on a whim. Been kicking ourselves that we didn't do this earlier. We pull a 27 ft 5th wheel with a Chevy 4x4 diesel crew cab (filled with kids and beagles). It's great, if I want to get up early to shoot, we're usually not too far and everyone else can sleep in while I take the pickup.

As the oldest is heading to college we are starting to think about our next approach -- leaning towards a truck camper, though my non-photographer husband is concerned there won't be enough room for both of us and my photo gear :mad: . Those Sportsmobile conversions are really nice, though.

JT

Paul Ewins
13-Apr-2008, 21:25
How about a nice, petite, 6x6 off-road motorhome?
http://www.robgray.com/index_files/index_graynomad.php

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
14-Apr-2008, 03:41
I better brag about my vehicle too. It is an italian IVECO built in Bolzano/ Bonzen like the DURST enlargers. It is a 4x4 with diffrential locks on both axis. It has a 2,8 liter turbo intercooler diesel engin that gives you 20 miles to the gallon if you go ease on the throttle. It seats 8 +the driver and there are some 25 squere feet of cargo space in the back. You can take your tripod and 8x10” up on the roof rack if you need a high vantage point.