PDA

View Full Version : Tachihara 5x7 minimum bellows problem

Larry H-L
14-Jan-2006, 12:33
Short lenses on Tachihara 5x7?

I have a 5x7 Tachihara. It's about 2" longer than the standard camera. I guess it was custom built as a macro camera for someone, I'm not sure, I purchased it used at a fine camera store in the Midwest.

Anyway, I'm having an issue with 150mm and shorter lenses.

Two metal screws that attach the rear standard brackets to the bed brackets have rather tall heads. These screw heads bump up against the front swing plate and prevent the front and rear standards from coming together for shorter lenses. A Fujinon-A 180 will focus OK at infinity, but my 150 Computar won't work.

It is possible to tilt and push back the front standard to close the distance (I think Clyde Butcher and other's do this) but, it is very awkward.

My question is: Do all Tachihara's have this issue, or is this a result of the custom-built camera? Will your rear standard "slide under" the front swing mechanism?

Does your camera also have a "stop" in the center of the bed that prevents the front standard from moving back past the front of the bed?

Specs on the 5x7 Tachihara state a 4.5 inch minimum extension, mine won't do this.
(Maybe I just don't get it. It was so simple on the Ikeda).

I guess I could look for flat screw heads. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Larry

Larry H-L
16-Jan-2006, 08:56
FYI, this problem was solved by some nice folks over at APUG.org.

The rear standard brackets on my camera were installed backwards, and need to be switched left to right. This prevented the bellows from reaching the minimum extension.( I guess Homer Simpson was on the assembly line that day).

Larry H-L