PDA

View Full Version : DVI or VGA

Al Seyle
14-Jan-2006, 11:54
I'm going for a new lcd monitor for my G4. In your experience, is DVI significantly better than VGA for image editing?

Ron Marshall
14-Jan-2006, 11:57
You may be interested in this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/502468.html

Marko
14-Jan-2006, 13:04
Al,

VGA uses analog signal, DVI uses digital signal. Video card operates with digital signal natively, and so does the LCD screen. If you use VGA, you are converting your signal twice, once Digital-to-Analog in the video card and then Analog-to-Digital again in the monitor. Each signal conversion inevitably degrades the signal, but the second one also compounds degradation already introduced by the first one.

So, to make the story short, DVI is definitely better, for just about any purpose. Further advice, if you don't mind:

1. Every LCD monitor has only one "native" resolution - do yourself a favour and always use it at that resolution. Ditto for refresh rate.

2. Since you are a Mac user, I would recommend you get an Apple LCD as well. This is not to say that there are no good third-party monitors nor that some of those are not better than Apple ones, but those that are better are significantly more expensive and those that are comparable in quality are usually comparable in price too.

This recommendation comes from personal experience - I am using Apple 20-inch Cinema monitor on my Macs (a G5 and a G4). On my PC I am currently using an older NEC LCD (1920NX), and have tried several other NEC and Samsung models. I have also seen LaCie and Sonys up close.

Save for top of the line EIZO monitors (which are several times more expensive) and LaCie 321 (or equivalent 19" model) which are a tad more expensive but still provide only classic 4:3 ratio, all the others I have seen and/or tried are not as good as Apple models. Additional advantage, and this may very well be a matter of taste or convenience and as such highly subjective, is that Apple LCDs are significantly easier to calibrate and profile.

Again, there are cheaper LCD monitors available, and with careful calibration some of them may come very close to Apple ones, but it is in my experience a real toss of the dice, especially when it comes to setting a true black point.

As with everything else except this board, you get what you pay for, and when you do get it, your mileage may still vary. This was just my $0.02, based on personal experience and preference.

Regards,

Al Seyle
14-Jan-2006, 13:39
Marko-
Thanks for your excellent hands-on advice. Exactly what I need.

My G4 is a Quicksilver 733mhz which will require the adapter to DVI. I am considering the 20" Cinema. There is a user note on Applestore site that indicates the standard GeForce2 MX video card is too slow for Cinemas. Which G4 do you have and what video card are you using?

Ron Marshall
14-Jan-2006, 15:01
Does anyone know the average lifespan that can be expected from LCD monitors. By that I mean until it is no longer possible to calibrate the monitor.

Marko
14-Jan-2006, 20:54
Al, if you have an Apple store in the reasonable vicinity, I suggest you simply take your G4 to the store and test right on the spot. The staff in Apple stores is generally very knowledgeable, friendly and enthusiastic, and I can't see them turning your request down if that will help sell a (relatively) big ticket item.

My G4 is single-cpu 800MHz model with 32 MB dual-head (both DVI and VGA) ATI card. As far as I know, it's less a matter of speed than a matter of having enough RAM to support the resolution and the number of colors at a given refresh rate. That's probably more of an issue with your model. But then again, if it's not good enough for the Apple monitor, it probably won't be good enough for any other decent LCD either, since the requirements are roughly in the same ballpark.

Regards,