PDA

View Full Version : ULF 16x20 cardboard camera build

pound
19-Oct-2020, 08:12
i was gifted a 36inches f6.3 aerial lens by a friend. It was a huge lens weighing 8kg. The story was that a few years ago, my friend came across a store and saw the owner collected a few vintage cameras and also this lens and decided to buy it over.

I decided to build a simple cardboard 16x20 ULF camera for it. Staying in an apartment,I really do not have the space to keep a 16x20 camera permanently so I thought a cardboard camera will not cost me too much money and time to build. No woodworking is involved just a lot of tape and glue :) In any event, I can discard the cheap cardboard body and keep the lens.

I bypass the film holder and go for a hyraid Afghan box camera approach where the paper negative is loaded inside the camera and use an outside darkslide to cover out the ground glass before loading the paper.

I made 2 videos on this project
Lens : https://youtu.be/s09j9_Sh62M
Camera : https://youtu.be/N5QpZmt-8eo

Tin Can
19-Oct-2020, 08:53
Watched both

I am impressed with the GG and how you achieve a light tight box

More!

Michael Roberts
20-Oct-2020, 05:36
Ingenious!

Ari
20-Oct-2020, 20:07
Hey, I didn't know you were on this forum. I really enjoyed your dark box build.
I made something very similar based on your design.

Great work getting the paper neg to come out looking so good!

pound
20-Oct-2020, 23:10
Hey, I didn't know you were on this forum. I really enjoyed your dark box build.
I made something very similar based on your design.

Great work getting the paper neg to come out looking so good!

Thank you. Been around here for a whule but only get to do youtube videos to share my experiments on film photography. Good to hear abt the darkbox build. The suitcase design definitely save more space when in storage especially people like me who stay in apartments.

Drew Bedo
24-Oct-2020, 05:48
Nicely done.

Space is at a premium? Why not build one from nice wood (Mahogany, Walnut, Cocobolo) and use it as a coffee table when at home?

Fr. Mark
4-Dec-2020, 15:36
He put up a third video on a trapdoor type shutter, opened by a string and closed by rubber bands, commenting that this might not work so well if it wasn't on an 8kg lens!

Tin Can
4-Dec-2020, 16:03
For some reason I never get youtube updates from anybody, despite subscribing to many

I don't see Pound's shutter and just looked at his many vids

I saw a cool self shutter on a big wet plate rig

Reach out with a stick and trip it

He put up a third video on a trapdoor type shutter, opened by a string and closed by rubber bands, commenting that this might not work so well if it wasn't on an 8kg lens!

Two23
4-Dec-2020, 16:57
This is spectacular!

Kent in SD

pound
13-Dec-2020, 05:45
For some reason I never get youtube updates from anybody, despite subscribing to many

I don't see Pound's shutter and just looked at his many vids

I saw a cool self shutter on a big wet plate rig

Reach out with a stick and trip it

oh, next to the subscribed button in any channel page there is a bell icon (notification icon). Only if you click on it, then you will check notifications about updates from the youtube channel.

Thank for watching and leaving a comment.

Tin Can
13-Dec-2020, 05:56
Pound, good advice and I do ring the bell, maybe I broke the bell with too many strikes!

oh, next to the subscribed button in any channel page there is a bell icon (notification icon). Only if you click on it, then you will check notifications about updates from the youtube channel.

Thank for watching and leaving a comment.

analogisnotdead
23-May-2022, 09:46
I saw your video on this! Great work, always appreciate some good DIY stuff.

pound
29-May-2022, 04:41
I saw your video on this! Great work, always appreciate some good DIY stuff.

thank you! i need to work on building another one again.