PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock Aperture Scales

aphcl84
3-Oct-2020, 16:47
I recently purchased two Rodenstock lenses for only $200, a Grandagon-N 90mm 6.8 and Sinaron S 150mm a.k.a. an APO Sironar-N, the shutters however had no aperture scales. I contacted Rodenstock and was told that aperture scales are no longer available for these lenses.

Now I have the ability to make a set of scales for the lenses, but I would like to know if anyone here would be willing to send me a scan of the correct scales? All I have at this point to go off is photos of other lenses that don't show the scales to any precision and I'm worried that I'll get the scale wrong. Alternatively a link to where I could buy a set of Rodenstock scales would be useful also.

Dan Fromm
3-Oct-2020, 16:49
Ask skgrimes.com

Bob Salomon
3-Oct-2020, 17:06
I recently purchased two Rodenstock lenses for only $200, a Grandagon-N 90mm 6.8 and Sinaron S 150mm a.k.a. an APO Sironar-N, the shutters however had no aperture scales. I contacted Rodenstock and was told that aperture scales are no longer available for these lenses.

Now I have the ability to make a set of scales for the lenses, but I would like to know if anyone here would be willing to send me a scan of the correct scales? All I have at this point to go off is photos of other lenses that don't show the scales to any precision and I'm worried that I'll get the scale wrong. Alternatively a link to where I could buy a set of Rodenstock scales would be useful also.
We sold all of the ones that we had left after we closed to Omega Brandess, they may still have some. Also ask Bob at Precision in CA.

mpirie
4-Oct-2020, 04:33
Both of the aperture scales on my version have a very small part number: 0005.059.

Are you looking for someone to take the scale off and to scan it? I guess you'd need a reference measure scanned alongside?

Mike

Rick A
4-Oct-2020, 06:13
I have a set of aperture scales for Geronar 6.8. I have the lens set in a Prontor Press shutter and have no use for them.

aphcl84
4-Oct-2020, 08:20
I was able to get the pattern for the Sinaron S 150mm, so I just need the scales for the 90mm 6.8 now.

Mike, the aperture scale itself is an excellent scale to measure from, so I would just need a regular flatbed scan of the two scales, I have access to a laser engraver and can make a set of scales if I have the correct pattern.

Rick, I'm not sure the aperture scale from a Geronar would fit the Grandagon N, though if they are the same scale I would be interested, can you tell me the part no.?

Rick A
4-Oct-2020, 08:36
I was able to get the pattern for the Sinaron S 150mm, so I just need the scales for the 90mm 6.8 now.

Mike, the aperture scale itself is an excellent scale to measure from, so I would just need a regular flatbed scan of the two scales, I have access to a laser engraver and can make a set of scales if I have the correct pattern.

Rick, I'm not sure the aperture scale from a Geronar would fit the Grandagon N, though if they are the same scale I would be interested, can you tell me the part no.?

The scales are part number 0013.055

aphcl84
4-Oct-2020, 08:40
Rick it looks like those are scales from a Geronar 210mm in Copal 1 shutter and will not fit the lens I have.

CatSplat
10-Oct-2020, 14:42
Is your Grandagon-N in a black-ring Copal 0? If so I can take some photos of the scales against a ruler for you.

aphcl84
10-Oct-2020, 16:40
Yes it's in the latest black copal 0.

CatSplat
11-Oct-2020, 14:21
Got you covered.

Upper scale with cutout for cocking lever:

https://i.imgur.com/UqXFXyR.jpg

Lower scale under "Copal No.0" lettering:

https://i.imgur.com/Rlt8oAG.jpg

aphcl84
11-Oct-2020, 15:44
Thanks Trevor I really appreciate it, that was exactly what I needed, now I can laser a set up.

CatSplat
11-Oct-2020, 17:08
No problem Jim, happy to help out!

If your laser-engraved scales turn out nicely, you might consider offering scale production as a service.

aphcl84
13-Oct-2020, 16:39
They turned out pretty well I think, though with an interesting copper color to the numbers, I doubt I'll be selling scales, at least not without better equipment. My laser is a bit under powered and somewhat primitive for the job.

Keith Pitman
13-Oct-2020, 16:52
Good job.

Bob Salomon
13-Oct-2020, 17:12
They turned out pretty well I think, though with an interesting copper color to the numbers, I doubt I'll be selling scales, at least not without better equipment. My laser is a bit under powered and somewhat primitive for the job.

Very nice!!
They aren’t as crisp as real ones though. The numbers look a little smudged.

aphcl84
13-Oct-2020, 18:06
Very nice!!
They aren’t as crisp as real ones though. The numbers look a little smudged.

Agreed, the lasers that they use for the original scales are many times more powerful and have probably 10-20x the resolution of my low cost setup. They also cost about what I paid for my last vehicle.

CatSplat
14-Oct-2020, 16:35
They're a bit on the low-contrast side but look totally usable! Nice job!