PDA

View Full Version : Crown Graphic Top Rangefinder Plunger Cap

alt.kafka
21-Sep-2020, 14:05
I have a nice old Crown Graphic that I'm really enjoying. I'd like to get the top rangefinder working. I think I should be able to get BBs that are very close in size to the original. I think I should be able to do without spacers, as it seems Graflex also did for some period. I should be able to turn a plunger on the lathe to whatever dimensions I need.

My challenge now, is the plunger cap. I feel like I'm going to probably have to fabricate or improvise a solution to this, but after thinking about it for a while, I'm not sure I have any great ideas about how to approach it. Does someone have a suggestion?

I was thinking I could drill a hole in a pen cap or something, and that might work. I'm not really sure. Does anyone know the O.D. of the tube?

Michael Roberts
21-Sep-2020, 17:55
I used to have a trf model, but no more. You might want to try the help board at Graflex.org.

Neal Chaves
26-Sep-2020, 08:52
A forum member has all the parts you need and more for $20.
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?160204-FS-Lot-of-Graflex-Speed-Graphic-rangefinder-amp-misc-parts

alt.kafka
26-Sep-2020, 11:26
A forum member has all the parts you need and more for $20.
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?160204-FS-Lot-of-Graflex-Speed-Graphic-rangefinder-amp-misc-parts

I looked through that, but I don't see the lower plunger or cap.

Neal Chaves
27-Sep-2020, 07:40
Yes, you are right. Looks like the tube assembly has been stripped. I feel your best solution is to find parts from a donor camera rather than trying to machine them yourself. Good luck!

alt.kafka
27-Sep-2020, 11:28
Yes, you are right. Looks like the tube assembly has been stripped. I feel your best solution is to find parts from a donor camera rather than trying to machine them yourself. Good luck!

I think I should be able to make it. I just need to use the follower rest because steel is pretty flexible at those diameters. I'm not seeing any donor cameras with those parts that I would sacrifice for the sake of mine.

For the cap, I have a couple of metal Presta bicycle caps that I think I might be able to modify to suit. Maybe a little rubber 'O' ring, or just a few layers of electrical tape will be in order. I have 500 of the 7/64" BB's, so I think I should be good to go when I get the chance.

I'm probably going to put this project off until November, because I want to use that camera to capture fall colors in a few weeks.