PDA

View Full Version : Hurrah for Carol Miller - Shutter Repairer

David Karp
10-Jan-2006, 22:55
Hi all,

I know people have made some positive posts regarding Carol Miller of Flutot's Camera Repair in Whittier, CA, but I just had to add this.

Last week I sent her a Copal No. 0 shutter with a jammed aperture. I could not adjust the aperture or fully open it with the preview lever. She expected the repair would cost $65, or at least $45, which is the cost of a CLA.

She fixed it the day she received it, before giving me a price, and then e-mailed me telling me it was simpler than expected, and the charge would be $10. Since I had requested a CLA, she asked if I still wanted it. I asked her advice, and she said not to do it. The shutter seemed in good shape, and the speeds (except for 250 and 500) were accurate, so she said there was no reason for a CLA.

Carol could have charged me $45 or $65. I never would have known the difference, and would have paid without question. She could have recommended a CLA. I would have gone for it. What do I know about the inner workings of shutters? That's why I sent it to her. Instead, she was honest. A breath of fresh air. But that is not all.

After informing me of the $10 charge, Carol asked how much I wanted the return package insured for, and said that she would send it on Monday (yesterday). Well, she forgot, and since I have a photo outing scheduled for Thursday, she offered to send it via overnight delivery so I will receive it in time to put my 125mm Fujinon cells back on the shutter and use it on Thursday. I e-mailed her and said not to send it overnight, since the work only gained her $10, and the difference between priority mail and overnight would eat up too much (or all) of the $10 fee. She responded that it was too late, she had already sent it, and she is going to eat the difference between the cost of overnight and priority mail.

Well, she has gained a customer for as long as I have equipment that she can repair. I hope she gets as much business as she wants, because she deserves it.

Capocheny
11-Jan-2006, 05:00
Dave,

It's good to know that there are still honest and reputable folks out there willing to do what it takes to do a job correctly... and at a price that is fair to all parties concerned! [Two thumbs up!] :)

We also have a fellow here in Vancouver who does exceptional work. He takes great pride in doing things right the first time round. Of course, being human... if a rare mistake is made it's rectified immediately and without fanfare!

So, I applaud Horst Wentzel (here in Vancouver, BC)... and Carol Miller (there in Whittier, CA! :))

Cheers

Jim Rhoades
11-Jan-2006, 05:44
I would like to add another thumbs up vote for Carol's service on shutters. Good work at a good price. The prices for repair here in the NE is way overboard and quite slow. Sending my shutter across the country and back for repair was faster and cheaper than my driving to a local service center that I've used in the past.

Michael Kadillak
11-Jan-2006, 07:23
Great news. Maybe phone numbers for Carol and Horst are in order for others to have access to their services.

How are their fees for installing Artars into shutters and engraving f stopswhen you provide the shutter?

Cheers!

Jim Rhoades
11-Jan-2006, 09:00
Michael;
flutotscamera@earthlink.net

Or, Flutot's Camera Repair
14922 Janine Drive Whittier, CA 90605

She is the best at keeping you updated via e-mail on progress. Let's you know of arrival, condition and when she ships it back.

The bad news is she does not do glass. No installing and I doubt engraving. Shutters CLA $45.

Oren Grad
11-Jan-2006, 09:03
www.flutotscamerarepair.com/ (http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/)

David Karp
11-Jan-2006, 13:31
Just to let everyone know, Carol followed through with her promise (as expected). I have the shutter in my hands, along with a slip showing my actual shutter speeds, and the shutter is operating beautifully.

And Jim is correct, she is great at letting you know what is happening via e-mail.

Highly, highly recommended.

Eric_6227
13-Jan-2006, 00:41
Thanks for the reference. I have an old Rollei that needs a CLA, so I'll contact her for service.

Mike Kovacs
13-Jan-2006, 05:39
Eric, I'm not certain that she repairs anything else but bare leaf shutters. Getting the shutter out of a Rolleiflex TLR takes some skill, and ignores the rest of the camera.

Eric_6227
13-Jan-2006, 10:48
Thanks Mike. She lists TLRs (including Rollei) on her web site. Is there another shop that would be better suited for these cameras?

Kevin Crisp
13-Jan-2006, 11:04
I've had Carol work on 2 Rolleicords and one Rolleiflex and she had no difficulty with them. One had a broken counter and the rest were sticking compur shutters. All were fixed to my complete satisfaction.

Eric_6227
13-Jan-2006, 16:13
Just sent my camera off for the CLA. She has been very responsive by email. I'm looking forward to having more acurate shutter speeds (hopefully).