PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made a purchase through the Chamonix View Camera Instagram account

John Hartman
19-Sep-2020, 16:41
Hi, I want to replace my Intrepid with a Chamonix but the website lists them as sold out with a note that there may be more available at the end of September. I couldn't find any way to reach out to them through the website so i sent a DM to the Instagram account, I got a response offering to sell me one via a paypal invoice. So that's great. For some reason I can't put my finger on it seems slightly sketchy. I know the Ebay sellers seem to be "grey-market" at best and I want to make sure the instagram account is associated with the official website and not the Ebay dealers.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Also Hi, my name is John I live in Flagstaff and I've been reading the forum on and off for the better part of the last year but this is my first post.

Greg
19-Sep-2020, 16:47
Email hugo zhang at hugoz_2000@yahoo.com. Have bought several Chamonix cameras from/through him and can recommend dealing with/through him 200%. He's a member of the FORUM and a really nice and honest person to deal with.

Vaughn
19-Sep-2020, 16:55
Agree - double check with him.

John Hartman
19-Sep-2020, 18:02
Thanks for the responses, Hugo contacted me and I'm now on his waiting list and excited about the Chamonix. Now I have to decide if I'm selling the Intrepid Black or keeping it for very lightweight trips up the mountain or down the Canyon.

Peter Collins
19-Sep-2020, 18:58
Hugo is indeed the man.

Roger Thoms
19-Sep-2020, 19:10
Hugo is indeed the man.

Indeed!!!

blue4130
20-Sep-2020, 01:35
Hi, I want to replace my Intrepid with a Chamonix but the website lists them as sold out with a note that there may be more available at the end of September. I couldn't find any way to reach out to them through the website so i sent a DM to the Instagram account, I got a response offering to sell me one via a paypal invoice. So that's great. For some reason I can't put my finger on it seems slightly sketchy. I know the Ebay sellers seem to be "grey-market" at best and I want to make sure the instagram account is associated with the official website and not the Ebay dealers.

Also Hi, my name is John I live in Flagstaff and I've been reading the forum on and off for the better part of the last year but this is my first post.

If it is Marcos that you are dealing with on IG, I can say that he is 100% legit and an upstanding guy. I've known him personally for many years.

nbagno
20-Sep-2020, 07:35
What did Hugo say about the IG account?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan Klein
20-Sep-2020, 11:00
Thanks for the responses, Hugo contacted me and I'm now on his waiting list and excited about the Chamonix. Now I have to decide if I'm selling the Intrepid Black or keeping it for very lightweight trips up the mountain or down the Canyon.

Chamonix has backpacking foldable cameras as well.

Greg Y
20-Sep-2020, 13:51
Hi, I want to replace my Intrepid with a Chamonix .... and I want to make sure the instagram account is associated with the official website and not the Ebay dealers.

John, I've bought 2 Chamonix cameras as well as accessories by directly contacting Hugo Zhang. He's your best connection. hugoz_2000@yahoo.com

Greg Y
20-Sep-2020, 13:55

I've used both the Chamonix 5x7 horizontal and the 4x5 for mountain trips.If I worked in 8x10 i'd get the Alpinist If it were me..... i'd sell the Intrepid....but then, i've dragged a Deardorff 8x10 around the mountains too. Best of luck!

Two23
20-Sep-2020, 17:31
The Chamonix is very light. I don't see need for keeping two similar cameras.

Kent in SD

John Hartman
20-Sep-2020, 19:55
What did Hugo say about the IG account?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugo just said the he owns the Chamonix View Camera website and "Marcus and Instagram has nothing to do with us."

blue4130
22-Sep-2020, 04:11
Hugo just said the he owns the Chamonix View Camera website and "Marcus and Instagram has nothing to do with us."

Nothing to do with Hugo, but he is absolutely affiliated with Chamonix. The IG account is not grey market. He has full blessing from Chamonix's owner to sell the cameras.

otto.f
22-Sep-2020, 09:54

I wonder which Chamonix you bought then. :) I can’t imagine that an Intrepid is lighter by any relevant amount

John Hartman
22-Sep-2020, 19:18
I wonder which Chamonix you bought then. :) I can’t imagine that an Intrepid is lighter by any relevant amount

The Intrepid is significantly lighter. 1000 grams vs 1600 grams. That's a little over a pound and that doesn't make much difference when combined with a full sized tripod, 3-4 lenses, 5-6 film holders, a filter set, a light meter, etc. but consider this:

The Intrepid, an Optar 90mm, 1 loaded Toyo film holder, a cable release and a little ultra-pod tripod makes a complete rig that weights less than just the Chamonix 45F-2 (1580g on my kitchen scale). That's a weight I can justify taking on nearly hike. Would an extra pound matter in that scenario? I'm not sure, maybe, maybe not.

John Hartman
22-Sep-2020, 19:28
Nothing to do with Hugo, but he is absolutely affiliated with Chamonix. The IG account is not grey market. He has full blessing from Chamonix's owner to sell the cameras.

How do you know that? Not trying to be a smart-ass, I'm genuinely asking. I'm trying to do my due-diligence here but I don't understand the relationship between these various entities. I'm not sure what is the "official" channel through which to buy one of these cameras and I'm not sure what that means to the me the buyer.
When I had questions about my Intrepid, I emailed through the website and I talked to the guy that builds the camera. Who is Marcus? Who is Hugo? Who is selling the "unauthorized" cameras on ebay? Who are these 8 craftsman building the cameras? Who is this mysterious unnamed founder/mountaineer/photographer? What is everyones relationship to the company and each other?

blue4130
23-Sep-2020, 05:58
How do you know that? Not trying to be a smart-ass, I'm genuinely asking. I'm trying to do my due-diligence here but I don't understand the relationship between these various entities. I'm not sure what is the "official" channel through which to buy one of these cameras and I'm not sure what that means to the me the buyer.
When I had questions about my Intrepid, I emailed through the website and I talked to the guy that builds the camera. Who is Marcus? Who is Hugo? Who is selling the "unauthorized" cameras on ebay? Who are these 8 craftsman building the cameras? Who is this mysterious unnamed founder/mountaineer/photographer? What is everyones relationship to the company and each other?

I was sitting at the coffee shop with Marcos and the "mysterious unnamed founder/mountaineer/photographer" as they discussed some business deals. I've known Marcos for a number of years. He invited me to meet the owner and I couldn't pass it up. I am not going to go into the relationship between all parties, I think it would be best left to them talking about that with you. Marcos is easy to get a hold of, as is Hugo. From what I know, both will give you great service.

Tin Can
23-Sep-2020, 06:04
I bought from Hugo Zhang and glad I did

I would never buy anything on Instagram

As i don't want to deal with FB or IG in any way, nor add to their domination of Politics

Greg
23-Sep-2020, 06:32
I bought from Hugo Zhang and glad I did

Second that. I've bought 3 cameras from him in the past and each time a most pleasant buying experience. FYI: the packing of the international shipments were excellent plus in my opinion.
Greg

John Hartman
2-Oct-2020, 17:37
Hugo has surpassed his reputation. My new 45F-2 is already in my hands. I'm very glad both that I bought this camera and bought it from Hugo, thanks to everyone that gave me any advice.

I do want to stress that there's nothing wrong with the Intrepid, I think they make a really incredible product for the money. I'm just a person that really responds to the tactile interactions with the camera. It's silly but it's one of the things that gets me out into the field especially on days when I'm not otherwise inspired. The Intrepid doesn't lack features or movements but everything feels somewhat toy-like. The Chamonix feels great in the hand, everything is well finished, the controls are all very smooth with the right amount of weight to them. I don't expect the Chamonix will improve my pictures but I will probably take more of them. Thanks Hugo!

tgtaylor
2-Oct-2020, 19:42

Can anyone here answer those questions?

Dan Dozer
4-Oct-2020, 11:28
Can anyone here answer those questions?

I can only answer one of your questions. Hugo is a friend of mine - he is essentially the US rep for Chamonix and lives in the Los Angeles area. You can order any Chamonix equipment directly through him. He also is a stand up guy and very accomplished large format photographer.

Greg Y
4-Oct-2020, 20:02
I can only answer one of your questions. Hugo is a friend of mine - he is essentially the US rep for Chamonix and lives in the Los Angeles area. You can order any Chamonix equipment directly through him. He also is a stand up guy and very accomplished large format photographer.

What Dan said...... two happy cameras later