PDA

View Full Version : Bentzin Field Camera early 20th century

Renger-Patzsch Scholar
18-Sep-2020, 08:04
Hello, Friends—

I am a university professor currently finishing a book about the German photographer Albert Renger-Patzsch and I have a question that I hope might benefit from the combined wisdom of this forum. I trust some of you may have heard of Renger-Patzsch as a key photographer of the New Objectivity (Neue Sachlichkeit). To make a long story short, I’m looking for an image to use in my book to illustrate a passage in which he describes his first experience with photography. The passage comes from an essay written in 1953 in the German publication Photo Magazin. In my translation, the passage reads:

“In the year 1911—I had just turned 14—I took my first picture. I took advantage of my father’s absence, borrowed his Bentzin field camera and, using a 13 × 18 Chromo-Isolar plate and a Goerz Series IV, f/7.7 focal length 210mm lens, photographed an acquaintance. Together, shaking in anticipation, we developed the plate in iron-oxalate developer.”

What I am looking for is a high-resolution image (300dpi) of either the specific 13 × 18 Bentzin camera or possibly an old advertisement for one (or anything else that is relevant). If you know of anything, please send me a note—I would be most grateful!

Thanks!

Renger-Patzsch Scholar

Jimi
18-Sep-2020, 10:19
Perhaps something similar to this?

http://www.collection-appareils.fr/x/html/appareil-2589-Bentzin_.html

Renger-Patzsch Scholar
18-Sep-2020, 11:43
Perhaps something similar to this?

http://www.collection-appareils.fr/x/html/appareil-2589-Bentzin_.html

Thanks for the speedy response! I’d seen that image/page before and suspected that might be the camera in question. So that’s quite helpful, definitely. But the question remains whether it’s possible to get a high resolution version of that image.

Jimi
18-Sep-2020, 11:47
Contact the man behind the collection, maybe he has the original advertisment, or a higher quality scan of it.

Steven Tribe
18-Sep-2020, 11:54
There was quite a lot of development of field cameras in Germany at this time. Too much, as the variety of models offered by the many makers lead to very little profitability with crisis mergers as a result(ICA and Zeiss-ikon). The Bentzin in the link is their top model - sporting the suddenly popular black finish and the focal plane shutter. It is far more likely to be the more common standard mahogany finish model with the shutter on the lens - a family father playing the role of “Serious Amateur”!

I have the mahogany 13x18 Bentzin as shown below. It looks a lot like other cameras of that era. Unusually, the brass lens board locking plate has the Manufacturers data. The brass work is rather attractive.

Photos just for OP making a decision!

Renger-Patzsch Scholar
18-Sep-2020, 12:03
Contact the man behind the collection, maybe he has the original advertisment, or a higher quality scan of it.

Any idea who that is or how I might contact him/her?

Renger-Patzsch Scholar
18-Sep-2020, 12:05
From my research I think that’s probably exactly what I’m looking for. If I might contact you somehow to tell you more about the images, let me know! (I’m a bit of a novice with forums and their mechanics, I’m afraid...)

Steven Tribe
18-Sep-2020, 12:11
Camera open without extensions - a bit dusty! A combination of camera/plate holders/wood tripod would match the text best.

Steven Tribe
18-Sep-2020, 12:19
If you press on my name,you can send mail directly to my email address. Or to stevenbtribe at icloud.com.
I have plenty of Goerz lenses around 210mm (but only the series III ) I could mount.

Renger-Patzsch Scholar
18-Sep-2020, 12:29
Then stay tuned—you’ll hear from me shortly. I’d heard this forum was filled with generous and quick-responding people and that’s being born out.

Merg Ross
21-Sep-2020, 11:49
Hello, Friends—

I am a university professor currently finishing a book about the German photographer Albert Renger-Patzsch and I have a question that I hope might benefit from the combined wisdom of this forum. I trust some of you may have heard of Renger-Patzsch as a key photographer of the New Objectivity (Neue Sachlichkeit).

Renger-Patzsch Scholar

As a "West Coast" photographer, I am indeed familiar with the photography of Renger-Patzsch. His work is often mentioned in conversations of Edward Weston, as they photographed with a similar purpose during the same period.

In 1970 my father, Donald Ross, visited Renger-Patzsch's widow and daughter at the family home in Wamel with the hope of purchasing a selection of photographs. He was successful in purchasing Renger-Patzsch's last exhibition in its entirety (28 prints) from Frau Renger. He gifted the collection to the Friends of Photography in Carmel, who subsequently sold the collection to the University of California, Riverside.

Good that you found the information you sought by visiting this forum. I look forward to your book when it becomes available.

Steven Tribe
24-Sep-2020, 01:27
Just a short follow-up!

I made the following image for our very courteous OP!
Not The sharpest of images, but perhaps OK in relation to it’s use as an illustration of a past event in 1911. It is always a problem in “posing” a camera - especially when only a single shot will be used. In relation to the text to which it is connected, I thought that a camera opened up and near portrait distance, ready to show the magic image on the ground glass.

I have been bold enough to suggest that the “Goerz series IV” is a result a faulty memory mixed up with a long life as a photographer with encounters with many makers’ series IV!

Although I have told the OP that it must be a mistake for the series III Goerz (DAGOR) which was Very common in 1911, I also said there was no series IV. Actually there was - and there is a single thread here in LFPF. Series IV was used for an f.9 process lens and a later f7.7 process DAGOR. Fortunately, it was made in large sizes only.

Tin Can
24-Sep-2020, 03:47
Yes, very large, i notice this monster (https://www.ebay.com/itm/BENTZIN-1896-wooden-camera-Holz-Kamera-wood-60x60-museal-dream-condition-top-2-M/391825312895?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649)

Which has the wrong lens...

obviously not my sale, nor am I shill

But very interesting box regardless

Steven Tribe
24-Sep-2020, 08:47
Richard Bentzin was the father of Curt Bentzin. The son was the innovator, but his father was obviously a real craftsman.