PDA

View Full Version : Fixer

Two23
17-Sep-2020, 12:32
I've run out of the B&S fixer I started with. It smells like ammonia so I assume it's ammonia thiosulfate. Can I just use Photographers Formulary PF4 for wet plate fixing? Same dilution?

Kent in SD

Ari
17-Sep-2020, 13:44
I used TF-5 and Ilford Rapid Fix after I ran out of B&S fixer. Worked just as well, and I played around with dilutions. Now using 1:7

Gary Samson
20-Sep-2020, 18:00
You can use a Ilford Hypam diluted 1:3, its economical and easy to purchase.

goamules
23-Sep-2020, 08:04
You can buy sodium thiosulfate economically at any chemical store, and mix it with tap water any time you want Hypo. Why mess with "made for photography" vendor wares and expensive shipping? I bought a jug the size of an extra large coffee can years ago....

Two23
23-Sep-2020, 10:50
You can buy sodium thiosulfate economically at any chemical store, and mix it with tap water any time you want Hypo. Why mess with "made for photography" vendor wares and expensive shipping? I bought a jug the size of an extra large coffee can years ago....

I was trying to avoid the sodium formula to shorten wash time.

Kent in SD

goamules
23-Sep-2020, 17:50
The wash time of Hypo isn't long, I'm sure as long as as the Ammonia one. I have a friend who did chemical studies of Hypo, it's all out of the emulsion within about 10 min of soaking.

lightfootwillwalkinthecat
26-Feb-2023, 07:55
I found Dechlorinator Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate ( for pools ) on amazon... 10lbs for $32... can I use this mixed with water for hypo fixer ?

Rick A
11-Mar-2023, 17:00
I found Dechlorinator Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate ( for pools ) on amazon... 10lbs for $32... can I use this mixed with water for hypo fixer ?

Yes.

Tin Can
12-Mar-2023, 04:05
My college darkroom used a lot of that as fixer

We mixed huge trays, I always made it fresh after the children ran off

I need to ask him what was the bulk developer 25 years ago

Rick A
12-Mar-2023, 05:39
My college darkroom used a lot of that as fixer

We mixed huge trays, I always made it fresh after the children ran off

I need to ask him what was the bulk developer 25 years ago

I have a 20 pound bag of the stuff sitting on my chem shelf in the DR. I mix fresh a batch for POP or VDB printing.