PDA

View Full Version : Glass plate, recognise emulsion side

cmug
15-Sep-2020, 13:21
I received a old box of glass plates from Perutz. It contains a number of unused glass plates. I would like to use it.
I know how to use plan film on 4x5 inch. There you can recognize the emulsion side by the notches at the top right.
It's a panchromatic film, I can't watch in red safe light
But how do I know what the emulsion side is with a glass plate?

Tin Can
15-Sep-2020, 13:35
My finger tips are insensitive, but I can tell emulsion from plain glass by touch, or fingernail edge of glass

But the notch is most likely normal as in film notch

Alan9940
15-Sep-2020, 13:42
Don't know anything about these specific plates, but Jason of Pictoriographica has a notch just like regular film. Have you opened these plates in total darkness and felt around for a notch? Be very careful, if you do this as we're talking glass here.

LabRat
15-Sep-2020, 14:13
The old printers trick was to lick a fingertip and touch an outer corner edge... It is very slightly sticky on emulsion side...

Steve K

cmug
15-Sep-2020, 14:46
OK thanks, I will try to find the emulsion side with a fingertip 'kiss'.

drewf64
15-Sep-2020, 15:57
I received a old box of glass plates from Perutz. It contains a number of unused glass plates. I would like to use it.
I know how to use plan film on 4x5 inch. There you can recognize the emulsion side by the notches at the top right.
It's a panchromatic film, I can't watch in red safe light
But how do I know what the emulsion side is with a glass plate?

I cut my own glass plates and 'round' one corner and coat the plate with the round corner in the upper right corner in portrait orientation.
Takes all the guess work out of it!

Nodda Duma
15-Sep-2020, 20:26
The emulsion side will be slicker than the glass side. The glass side will grab at your fingertips as you slide them across the surface. Also, the emulsion side may have a bit of a texture esp if older.

If the plates are packed so that there’s two plates held together by paper clasps on the edges, the emulsion will be facing out.

-Jason