PDA

View Full Version : Glass plate negative storage

Dugan
14-Sep-2020, 12:39
Hi,
I'm wondering how you folks store your glass plate negs.
Looking for inexpensive ideas for whole plate size neg storage.
Thanks!

LabRat
14-Sep-2020, 17:34
I don't know what to do about plate negs... I think they are kool, but don't even know where to start about storing a mass of them (I have enough trouble storing film negs)... Ideally, they should be slightly separated without contact between them, and even wrapping each one can cause wrap to stick to emulsion to stick if it gets too much humidity exposure... Then there's the weight issue when not too many are packed together, and are fragile...

I might use plates to make display transparencies as the single plate will go out the door as an artwork...

Steve K

reddesert
14-Sep-2020, 21:13
As far as I know, astronomical glass plates tended to be filed in something that looked like a envelope / manila folder made for the size of the plate, open on one side. I don't know if it was made from acid free paper or just regular cardstock. The plate library I was in once had a lot of plates filed vertically on shelves with vertical dividers. It may be better to store them vertically rather than stacking horizontally. Perhaps in a hanging file system.

jim_jm
14-Sep-2020, 23:53
I've been using glass negative storage boxes and archival-quality negative envelopes for 5x7 and 8x10 glass negatives from the following sources:
http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/glass-plate-folders-8-1-8-x-10-1-8/archival-file-folders-storage/
https://www.talasonline.com/Heritage-Glass-Negative-Storage-Boxes
They're not cheap, but those glass plates cost a lot to purchase and I'm pretty selective when I expose a plate.

Jimi
15-Sep-2020, 00:34
Flap folders and archive boxes, similar as shown above, but for example from Secol -> www.secol.co.uk if one is in Europe.

Tin Can
15-Sep-2020, 04:46
I stack them back in the box they came from with interleaves

Recently got a very old set on exposed neg plates that survived well in the 120 year OE old box, without interleaves