PDA

View Full Version : Should I return this Dallmeyer Pentac 8" f2.9?

maxcooperavl
10-Sep-2020, 18:13
Hello! First post here and I'm a total newb. I have a passing familiarity with large format but no experience. I'd like to start shooting portraits and of course was attracted to the Aero Ektar style lenses. I ordered a Dallmeyer Pentac 8" f/2.9 for $275 on eBay with the intention of adapting it to a Speed Graphic. The lens was described as "glass with minimum of scratches / separation not important for the pictures. aperture in good working condition."

Unfortunately the seller neglected to mention significant fungus, mostly around the edges of the lens. It's a reputable seller, so I'm now wondering if a certain amount of fungus is acceptable in these old lenses? Here's an image:

Obviously, I want the lens for a soft-focus look, so I'm wondering if I shouldn't just live with the fungus. On the other hand, fungus is progressive . . .

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Dan Fromm
10-Sep-2020, 18:57
That lens is filthy. Send it back.

Dugan
10-Sep-2020, 19:16
+1
Return it.

Mark Sawyer
10-Sep-2020, 19:28
Agreed, return it.

maxcooperavl
10-Sep-2020, 19:31
Alright. Three unanimous votes means the lens goes back. Thanks everyone!

Two23
10-Sep-2020, 20:38
The seller might be reputable but he also has poor eyesight.;)

Kent in SD

LabRat
10-Sep-2020, 21:59
That's not soft focus, that's low contrast!!!

Steve K

pgk
11-Sep-2020, 01:33
The seller might be reputable but he also has poor eyesight.;)

Isn't it odd that many such sellers of photographic equipment have poor eyesight and seem unable to take sharp, correctly focussed photographs. Strange!

J. Patric Dahlen
11-Sep-2020, 08:24
Isn't it odd that many such sellers of photographic equipment have poor eyesight and seem unable to take sharp, correctly focussed photographs. Strange!

Autofocus, maybe, and when they write: Autocorrection. They must have bad monitors as well, when they can't see the details like fungus in a lens in the higly enlarged digital photos on the screen.