PDA

View Full Version : Lensboards for Zone VI Ultralight

Chris_6172
9-Jan-2006, 23:33
I recently bought a used Zone Vi ultralight camera. I need a copal #1 lensboard for a lens that I just bought. Calumet is out of the wooden copal #1 Zone VI lensboards. Are there any other lensboards that will fit my camera?

Thanks

Eric Biggerstaff
9-Jan-2006, 23:49
On my Zone VI ( traditional, not light weight) I asked Jose in the repair department and he said to use the 4x4 inch metal boards he has. I had him drill me a couple and they fit fine, a little tight but that is OK by me. Call Calument and ask to speak to Jose directly, tell him what you need and what alternatives he might suggest. Also, you can make your own, Alan Ross makes them out of black opaque plexiglass which works fine as well.

Good luck.

www.ericbiggerstaff.com
Eric

Louie Powell
10-Jan-2006, 05:27
Chris -

It's very easy to make lensboards for the Zone VI Lightweight.

Pick up a piece of 1/4" poplar from your nearest home center. In our area, Lowes has 1/4" poplar in various widths and lengths. I've seen the same material in Home Depot stores in other areas; my observation is that these stores are not totally consistent in their practices regarding stocking of specialty material like thin poplar, so you may have to shop around. I suggest getting the 6" width and cutting it down to 4" - the pre-cut 4" material may be slightly narrower than 4".

Then, make friends with someone who has a router (the power tool, not the computer accessory). Use the router to cut a rabbet 1/4" wide and 1/8" deep on all four sides of the board. Use a drill to cut the hole for your lens - Copal #1 requires a 65mm (2.56") hole, so you will probably have to drill using a standard bit, and then enlarge the hole with a rasp and sandpaper. A forstner bit will give you the cleanest cut. Finally, use the router again to cut another 1/4" wide rabbet around the hole.

I finished my board with stain and varnish on the outside, and flat black enamel on the inside.

It took me less than an hour to make a lens board and apply the first coat of finish.

Ted Harris
10-Jan-2006, 06:12
If you don't want to makeyour own Richard Ritter usually has some or can make them easily.

Jim Rhoades
10-Jan-2006, 07:31
I make my own boards too. The 4x4 boards for the older Zone VI and newer Deardorff all seem to fit just fine. I use Baltic Birch plywood from the local modeling shop. You can buy them in all sorts of thicknesses so there's no need for a router. A back or dovetail saw is all you need. Use a good wood glue and knock out a dozen at a time. I use a exotic wood veneer on mine only because I get bored during the winter.

C.A
12-Jan-2006, 19:05
I have the heavier brass and mahogany Zone VI which is basically the same camera, Wisner 4x4 lens boards fit perfect.