PDA

View Full Version : Fresnel

Carrotious
24-Aug-2020, 06:43
Hi there everyone,

I was thinking of getting a Fresnel lens for my Linhof Kardan Bi.
However there is a lot of choices and a lot of price variation...
Anybody have advice?

This is my first time....

Giles

Bob Salomon
24-Aug-2020, 07:14
Use the current LInhof gg and fresnel. You will not be disappointed.

Carrotious
25-Aug-2020, 01:44
Ok thanks Bob,
So for you the 115 GBP original is worth the money compared to a 35GBP eBay version from Hongkong?
The difference merits the investment?

https://www.linhofstudio.com/products/Linhof-Ground-Glass-and-Fresnels/Linhof_Fresnel_Screen_45
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Super-Bright-Fresnel-Screen-For-4x5-Linhof-Intrepid-Deardorff-Toyo-Camera/254454966046?epid=2115454764&hash=item3b3eb2a71e:g:zyIAAOSw8Kxd7s42

Thanks

Giles

Bob Salomon
25-Aug-2020, 04:46
Ok thanks Bob,
So for you the 115 GBP original is worth the money compared to a 35GBP eBay version from Hongkong?
The difference merits the investment?

https://www.linhofstudio.com/products/Linhof-Ground-Glass-and-Fresnels/Linhof_Fresnel_Screen_45
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Super-Bright-Fresnel-Screen-For-4x5-Linhof-Intrepid-Deardorff-Toyo-Camera/254454966046?epid=2115454764&hash=item3b3eb2a71e:g:zyIAAOSw8Kxd7s42

Thanks

Giles

Yes. But if you have an old gg it won’t be as dramatic as with the current gg.

Carrotious
25-Aug-2020, 08:53
I see.
I have an old GG I would imagine.
Maybe the best plan is to go for a Hong Kong Fresnel as a first step, then I know I can upgrade to a new ground glass and Fresnel from Linhof as a next step.
Giles

Carrotious
6-Sep-2020, 12:42
so i received an "Ultra Super Bright Fresnel Screen" from china for around 50 bucks.

Is a vast improvement...

Bob Salomon
6-Sep-2020, 15:00
so i received an "Ultra Super Bright Fresnel Screen" from china for around 50 bucks.

Is a vast improvement...
Does your camera have the fresnel hold down clips on the rear frame. They would be attached to the middle screw on the gg frame?
Or did you get an acrylic screen that replaces your existing gg?
If you just have the fresnel and don’t have the clips you can get a pair and the longer replacement screws from LInhof service centers.

Carrotious
7-Sep-2020, 01:31
so the fresnel is thin enough to fit under the mounting elements of the ground glass.
I just unscrewed the 6 small screws and lifted the gg retaining elements, placed the fresnel rough side down on the gg and srewed the retaining bits back down.

Bob Salomon
7-Sep-2020, 05:23
so the fresnel is thin enough to fit under the mounting elements of the ground glass.
I just unscrewed the 6 small screws and lifted the gg retaining elements, placed the fresnel rough side down on the gg and srewed the retaining bits back down.

Yes, but your screws are a bit too short plus you can’t easily, and quickly remove it. That’s why they make the clips.

Gabe
7-Sep-2020, 06:34
Yes. But if you have an old gg it won’t be as dramatic as with the current gg.

Agreed. I just got a brand new Linhof original GG + fresnel for my Technikardan S45, and the difference when compared to the old single piece acrylic GG/fresnel is dramatic.

Linhof stuff is expensive, yes, but you get what you pay for.

Carrotious
7-Sep-2020, 06:35
thanks for the info

Greg
7-Sep-2020, 06:43
When I was looking for a fresnel to replace the OEM one on my 8x10 Norma, quickly realized that getting a new OEM Sinar fresnel was not going to happen any time soon. Not having the option to get an OEM Sinar, I bought 2 different ones off eBay in which the sellers agreed to take back if I were to pay the return postage. One actually outperformed my vintage Norma fresnel, and the other very, very underperformed my OEM Sinar fresnel.

Lockwod
7-Sep-2020, 14:29
Hi Greg - I have a Norma 8x10 in need of a fresnel - I don't suppose you can indicate which one you found to be good? thanks

Greg
7-Sep-2020, 16:02
Hi Greg - I have a Norma 8x10 in need of a fresnel - I don't suppose you can indicate which one you found to be good? thanks

Sorry, it was before 2018 and my eBay history only goes back that far. Unfortunately I have yet to see a fresnel lens with any makers name on it. The original fresnel off my Norma probably dated back to around 1970. I'd think that the manufacturing of fresnel screens has improved in the past 50 some years. The one I ended up returning was definitely the bargain priced one and only backed up the saying "you get what you pay for".

FYI: A few years back acquired one for my 4x5 Sinar X. It did not come with the 4 small counter sunk holes for the screws. Before finally drilling those 4 holes to match the holes in my Sinar 4x5 fresnel older, practiced dozens of times on a similar thickness piece of plexiglass. Took me forever to be able to repeatably drill those holes accurately. Before drilling the final holes in the fresnel, I cut up several pieces of 4x5 plexiglass and used them to first align the holes with a makeshift jig. Fortunately not required with a fresnel for an 8x10 Sinar.