PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Chrome Barrel 150mm Componon - Copal 0 ?

Dave Tolcher
22-Aug-2020, 07:40
Hi, sorry to ask a question that seems like it ought to have a definitive answer in all the other posts related to it but I am still left unclear. I have a copal 0 lens in broken Rollei electronic shutter, if possible I can either fit into a copal 0 shutter that I have. As I don't need a shutter I was thinking of the rather nice circular aperture Componon enlarger lenses. It is clear that the - S and APO are copal 0 but I remain unsure about the older straight chrome bodied Componon. I can't try it because I would have to buy one.

Thanks

Dave

Daniel Unkefer
22-Aug-2020, 08:26
I have a barrel chrome 150mm f5.6 Componon that I use with Sinar Norma Shutter and also on my Plaubel Makiflexes.

According to my Burleigh Brooks catalog not dated, the Schneider 150mm F5.6 Componon chrome came in a #1 Compur shutter. Covers 4x5, smallest stop f45, 42mm lensboard hole required, 6 elements, 57mm front mount, rear flange distance 19mm, 53 degree lens, 150 diagonal in mm's.

Dave Tolcher
22-Aug-2020, 09:24
Thank you, couldn’t be clearer and rules that option out then.

Daniel Unkefer
22-Aug-2020, 09:44
Componons on a camera look very much like a Symmar chrome convertible from the time. I suspect that they are flat field lenses, whilst the Symmar is not flat field. Good to have both.

These lenses used to sell cheap as dirt. Ken Ruth (the repair guru) taught me that you can pull the cell groups out in one piece if the cells are milky, then take them to your kitchen sink and clean with dishwash detergent, dry the cells and then drop back in. I have cleaned up all my Componons in this way, Ken was absolutely right. Easy peasy. They were his faves and he convinced me to buy the complete Componon set. Sure glad I did.