PDA

View Full Version : Special Lense for wet plate ?

Manuparis
18-Aug-2020, 09:30
Hello All

I'd love to begin wet plate collodion but i have a question. DO i need a special lense ? I mean are all the lease on the market ok for wet plate ? Or do i need old lense or special lense ?

thanks

Ari
18-Aug-2020, 09:37
Any lens will work.
Faster lenses will be easier to work with since they will give you shorter exposure times.

cuypers1807
18-Aug-2020, 13:04
You do not need old lenses. Modern ones work fine. f/5.6 or faster is preferable. Since exposure times are really slow, you can save money by buying a barrel lens and use the lens cap as the shutter.

Two23
18-Aug-2020, 13:51
A lens is a lens. If using a lens that has a shutter you need to use the T or B setting.

Kent in SD

Manuparis
18-Aug-2020, 17:44
Ok thanks.. I was thinking that may be the coating could disturb the shot as the wet plate are sensitive to UV.

Dan Fromm
18-Aug-2020, 18:13
Photographic objectives' coatings don't usually block UV. Do you think they're like eyeglasses?

paulbarden
18-Aug-2020, 18:59
Ok thanks.. I was thinking that may be the coating could disturb the shot as the wet plate are sensitive to UV.

I have used many lenses, both period and modern, and I have yet to find one that has a coating that interferes with the making of a collodion plate.