PDA

View Full Version : Sacrifice Rear Movements for Stability

dodphotography
17-Aug-2020, 06:41
I’ve been able to handle a few 11x14’s of friends and colleagues and have noticed that the sheer mass of ULF cameras make for some “wonky” rear standards.

I’m curious if a camera maker like Richard Ritter could strip the movements off an existing camera to make the rear more solid or if the nature of these cameras and their mass make for a perception of instability. Those who own those cameras all told me they fear soft negatives because of this perception of instability but in practice the cameras work. It’s an interesting note.

Could you work with a more limited tool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oren Grad
17-Aug-2020, 09:25
Have you seen Alan Brubaker's wind stabilizer accessory?

http://www.filmholders.com/wskit.html

Could you work with a more limited tool?

Yes, happily. I can't remember the last time I used any movement other than front rise/fall.

Vaughn
17-Aug-2020, 09:56
I have been working with a 5x7 camera with front movements limited to rise/fall and has back rise/fall, swing and tilt movements. The limited front movements stabalizes the lens end of things, which is far more sensitive to movement than the back. 110 yr old Eastman View No.2.

I have worked with an equally old Kodak 11x14 and a brand new one from Chamonix. The old beast was a little wobbly -- but largely due to age and condition. I replaced it because it needs to be rebuilt after a century of work. But no matter how wobbly a camera is, once one has it set up and darkslide removed, chances are it will be fine once it settles down (no wind). I got some mightly sharp negs out of the old beast.

lab black
17-Aug-2020, 12:25
+1 regarding Alan's wind stabilizer.

Drew Wiley
18-Aug-2020, 09:49
Dick Phillips made a few 11X14's analogous to his original 8x10, which have only rear base tilt via a pair of hinges connecting the back to the bed, which allows folding up the camera too, of course. I use one of those earlier 8x10's, serial no. 009, and love that particular simplified construction for its stability, reliability, fast set-up, and reduced weight.

Vaughn
18-Aug-2020, 10:47
Nice compromise.