PDA

View Full Version : mini ball head that allows the ball to be removed?

Chester McCheeserton
16-Aug-2020, 21:56
long story, but I've got a situation where I've got a ball that I need to get a head for. (it's for a clamp holding a small lightweight 12 inch 2nd monitor)

the ball measures 1 inch in diameter.206914

it doesn't look like the Oben BD-02 ball comes out of the head, and I can't tell about the terra firma or the Giottos MH 1004, trying to get something cheap that works...

Vaughn
17-Aug-2020, 08:05
I googled 'ball clamp' and came up with all sorts of possibilities.

Chester McCheeserton
17-Aug-2020, 08:58
Thanks Vaughn, all those that come up in that search are for connecting two balls together, whereas I need a thing that has only one ball clamp on one end and a 1/4 20 thread on the other...

I think I may have found one made by Ram, but follow up question: is 1/4" National Pipe Thread Taper Hole different then the 1/4 20 threads that all our tripod mounts use?

sorry dumb question i figured it out.

think I'm going with a long clamp and extra ball head made by a company called 'Ultralight' which makes stuff for underwater cameras....seems like they might have useful, (tho not cheap) stuff for many various purposes...

David Lindquist
17-Aug-2020, 10:05
Thanks Vaughn, all those that come up in that search are for connecting two balls together, whereas I need a thing that has only one ball clamp on one end and a 1/4 20 thread on the other...

I think I may have found one made by Ram, but follow up question: is 1/4" National Pipe Thread Taper Hole different then the 1/4 20 threads that all our tripod mounts use?

Yes it is quite different. 1/4 inch pipe is 0.54 inches in diameter. So 1/4" male taper pipe thread would start with an O.D. a bit smaller than .54" tapering up to about .54 inches. The bore of 1/4 inch pipe isn't 1/4 inch either, it's a bit bigger. I have a recollection that historically pipe sizes were named by their bore diameter and as materials improved the bore could be opened up; the decreased wall thickness would still be sufficiently strong.

David