PDA

View Full Version : Bosscreen for a Shen-Hao 4x5

Steve Gilbert
7-Jan-2006, 18:52
I'd like to buy a Bosscreen for my Shen-Hao 4x5, but I read somewhere that you have to order a custom size to fit the Shen-Hao. The only place I can find that sells them is B&H, and they only have one 4x5 model for Wistas. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

robc
7-Jan-2006, 19:08
http://www.stabitech.nl/

be prepared for a long wait!

I think there is a US supplier. Don't know who.

Phong
7-Jan-2006, 19:44
www.bromwellmarketing.com is a distributer. I talked to Ted Bromwell a couple of weeks ago about a Bossscreen in 8x10, and he didn't have any, and didn't know when he will get the next shipment. It may be worth your while to give him a call.

Jeff Moore
8-Jan-2006, 03:02
There's no telling how long it will take you to get a BossScreen.

Take a look at the Maxwell. I got one for my 4x5 a few months ago and think it's terrific, the best screen I've tried by a wide margin. They're quite expensive, but well worth the cost, IMHO.

Walter Foscari
8-Jan-2006, 17:54
"Take a look at the Maxwell. I got one for my 4x5 a few months ago and think it's terrific, the best screen I've tried by a wide margin. They're quite expensive, but well worth the cost, IMHO."

The Maxwell are supposed to be marginally brighter but only very slightly so. Worth the added cost? Not sure. On the other hand the Maxwell is a fresnel, which means that when focusing you have to deal with the grooves, whereas the BossScreen is more like your traditional ground glass. Beware thought that the BossScreen can develop bubbles if left for long in hot places.

Steve Gilbert
9-Jan-2006, 15:37
After reading up on the Maxwell on these forums, I think I'm probably going to take Jeffrey's advice and go for it. It is pretty crazy expensive for a screen, but my eyesight is getting worse with age, so I think it would justify the cost.

I've only ever used plain GGs and Fresnels. A few months ago, I was out photographing and ran into another LF guy (what are the odds of that?). He had a Wisner or Wista (forget which) with a Bosscreen, and I was blown away by how much easier it was to focus compared to my Fresnel.

So have you folks actually compared the Maxwell with the Bosscreen? All the hassle of aquiring a Bosscreen and expense of the Maxwell aside, you feel that the Maxwell performs better? If that's the case, I'll place an order today.

Thanks so much for the replies...much appreciated.

Jeff Moore
10-Jan-2006, 23:24
Trust me Walter, the grooves on the Maxwell screen are absolutely not an issue. At one time or another I have tried every (to the best of my knowledge) ground glass/screen made, and for me, the Maxwell is my favorite--and it's not even close. I have yet to hear from any Maxwell users out there who did not feel likewise.

Jerry Fusselman
11-Jan-2006, 03:45
Jeffrey,

and others who have used the Maxwell screen:

Brightness is not that important to me. What I want mostly is accurate focusing. When you say Maxwell is your favorite, are you referring to brightness or accuracy of focusing?