PDA

View Full Version : Sinar P Front and rear standard zeros are off from each other

Atracksler
4-Aug-2020, 11:49
I'm trying to zero out my Sinar P.

When I set the rise/fall on the front and rear standards to zero, on the detent, the front standard is about 1.25" higher than the rear, or the rear is 1.25" lower than the front.

Is there a way to reset the zero on one or the other so they are the same?

Thanks in advance.

ad

Rod Klukas
4-Aug-2020, 19:24
Ask Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works in Fairmont California. He may know.

nbagno
4-Aug-2020, 22:39
Fairfield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Salomon
5-Aug-2020, 03:59
Is your front standard from an 810 model and your rear from a 57?

Atracksler
5-Aug-2020, 04:28
How would I know bob?

Tin Can
5-Aug-2020, 04:34
Sinar-p2c2fcf1-Instruction-Manual-EN.PDF (https://sinar.swiss/assets/Uploads/Sinar-p2c2fcf1-Instruction-Manual-EN.PDF)

Atracksler
5-Aug-2020, 06:15
Assuming you mean the chart on page 3, where do I find the dots? Sorry if it’s super obvious.....

Tin Can
5-Aug-2020, 11:23
I sold my Sinar P with 3 format kit.

Don’t miss it all

Read the manual as I now use a Norma and much happier

As I no longer have P I cannot check and report

But I think you got a mismatch set which happens all the time on eBay

Assuming you mean the chart on page 3, where do I find the dots? Sorry if it’s super obvious.....

Peter Mounier
5-Aug-2020, 11:58
That instruction manual is for the P2 C2 F1 and F2. So it may not have the indents that your P has. I have the P, and the indents for the rear standard are color coded red, green and black. There are only 2 indents on the front standard and they are red and black. If I zero them out on the red indents they are as you said, the front standard is about 1.25" higher than the rear standard. If I zero them out on the black indent, they are equal. So just to be sure, does yours look like this? I don't think I can help beyond this. But it is helpful to know that we're discussing the same camera and the standards are the same too.

Tin Can
5-Aug-2020, 12:41
I just read the P2 manual all the way

There are different combos and mismatches possible

They all work, but the heights can vary

There are heavy duty, and diff formats

Find a P manual

Bernice Loui
5-Aug-2020, 20:08
Appears to be first generation Sinar P, no issues with rise-fall. This is pretty much any 4x5 Sinar P from that era would look like. The detents are mostly less important, long as the front to rear standards are within their working range, lenses used should not be a problem.

Know those dots and detents are mere points of reference and not in any way absolute.

Bernice

Atracksler
6-Aug-2020, 10:21
REAR STANDARD:
https://i.imgur.com/Xxv1jvf.jpg

FRONT STANDARD:
https://i.imgur.com/GcVVSbe.jpg

Tin Can
6-Aug-2020, 11:42
and your conclusion?

Peter Mounier
6-Aug-2020, 11:51
Yours and my camera look to be about the same regarding alignment. I wonder whether you chose the green indent to "zero it out" arbitrarily? It looks like if you were to use the black indent for zero both standards would be at about the same height.
But in the end, I agree with Bernice.
It would be nice to know what Sinar had in mind by putting indents there. I've never used them for reference or anything else.

Bernice Loui
6-Aug-2020, 19:54
Sinar P detents are not relevant and can become a tiresome bump when camera movement is used in small increments. It is easier to set up rise-fall on a 4x5 P by de-compressing the bellows by moving front-rear standards together and getting the bellows compresses as much as possible using the rise-fall on front and rear standards. Where the rise-fall locations end up is not relevant. As the camera is used in a typical table top set up, it is very likely rise-fall will be applied as needed front or rear as with tilt, swing as combined camera movements as needed by the image to be produced.

Honestly, never paid any attention to those dots or detents over the decades of using a Sinar P and Sinar P2.

Bernice

ic-racer
7-Aug-2020, 05:44
I setup the swing and tilt detents with a laser. Rise and fall, in my hands, is best centered by visualizing the crescents seen through the clipped corners.

alan_b
7-Aug-2020, 09:21
As Peter said, set both standards on the black dot and you should be aligned. (Black=4x5, Green=5x7, Red=8x10)

Bernice Loui
7-Aug-2020, 09:29
Proper Sinar P 8x10 rear standard is different than the Sinar P rear standard use for 4x5 & 5x7. Yes the 8x10 frame fits and works on this rear standard, but not as stable and rigid and adjustment range as the rear standard designed for the 8x10 P frame.

Bernice

LabRat
7-Aug-2020, 16:46
For checking detents on most flatbed and monorail cameras, a good tool is an adjustable machinist's tri-square... The flat surface can rest on the bed or rail and rule goes up to see if there's a tilt different than the horizontal reference...

In the case of this Sinar, you can mark the center heights of the front and rear standards and measure the difference... If off, you can make a new strip with the correct pointer dot or arrow...

A tri-square is one of my most useful measuring tools for many uses, and have rules from 6" to 24" for different uses (very useful for view camera alignment)...

Even a cheap hardware store one is a big help, but better is better!!!

Steve K

Atracksler
8-Aug-2020, 17:30
Thanks!