PDA

View Full Version : Wehman - front shift

stuartj
2-Aug-2020, 07:07
Hi
The Wehman 8x10 is a wonderful camera, but in it’s simplicity front shift, swing and extension are all managed using a single knob. I would like to make it easier to shift the front standard without the bellows extension moving at all.

Have any of you made useful modifications or can suggest modifications?

Thanks

Jon

Jim Noel
2-Aug-2020, 09:15
I use a Wehman, and find no need to change the single knob. It does take some concentration to both swing and shift, but I do so while watching the GG.

Oslolens
2-Aug-2020, 22:39
How about putting in a rack and pinion solution?

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

reddesert
3-Aug-2020, 11:30
If I understand how that works, you could set the bellows extension, then put a binder clip on the rail butted up to the standard, to hold it in place while you move the shift. It's a kludge, but simple to try out to see if it works and you want to make something more elaborate.

stuartj
3-Aug-2020, 18:59
If I understand how that works, you could set the bellows extension, then put a binder clip on the rail butted up to the standard, to hold it in place while you move the shift. It's a kludge, but simple to try out to see if it works and you want to make something more elaborate.

The binder clip sounds like a good idea, but wouldn’t it just slide with the pressure from the bellows?

Or you have something else in mind?

Jon

Oslolens
4-Aug-2020, 12:40
If swing are not used, instead of a clip, use something similar to the wehman front standard bottom. Or just ask Wehman himself if this has been done. It look like his website is down, though.

Jim Noel
4-Aug-2020, 15:57
Have you tried making your shift 1st, then tightening the knob almost all the way down,then doing your swing? This will help immensely in not allowing the front to shift more.

reddesert
4-Aug-2020, 17:13
The binder clip sounds like a good idea, but wouldn’t it just slide with the pressure from the bellows?

Or you have something else in mind?

Jon

Here is a picture, click to enlarge. I don't have a Wehman, but this is a Crown Graphic that uses a single lever to unlock the front standard from the rails, the large lever with a round handle. In order to shift the front standard you unlock this lever (and depress the little tab labeled in orange). The front standard could then slide forward/back, but the binder clip fixes its location. If it did move you could then set it back to the clip position.

Crown Graphic experts will know that it happens to have infinity stops along the rail (also labeled) which can serve the same function. Also, it doesn't have front swing, but you can figure out how to fix a given swing (or no swing) with clips if it becomes a problem.

Unfortunately, I believe Bruce Wehman passed away a couple of years ago.

Rod Klukas
4-Aug-2020, 19:22
Remember if you can, And I don't know the Wehman camera, the movements are better done in the back if possible. When you move the lens you are changing the perspective as well.

Oslolens
4-Aug-2020, 23:05
There is no rear shift on the Wehman, so shift must be done on the front, or the combination of rear and front swing

Jim Noel
5-Aug-2020, 12:26
Why spend money to have the camera altered. If you are uncomfortable using it, finding a buyer is pretty easy, then spend the money on a more traditionally designed camera.
I din't like mine when i first got it, but after a few dozen exposures,i'm OK with it.

dodphotography
6-Aug-2020, 06:33
I am sure if you spoke with Adam at S.K. Grimes he could come up with something. Possibly custom infinity stops or a modification of the base of the standard and locking plate.
Have you been using this camera for long? If not you may want to work with it for awhile, your control of the movements may improve.

Agreed ... if there is a will, there is a way and in the case of Grimes, a very expensive option!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk