PDA

View Full Version : Process lens application?

JimboWalker
30-Jul-2020, 15:35
On my local Craigslist, there is posted parts from a 20x24 process camera that includes a Goerz 19in. Apo(red dot)Artar F11.lens. The parts include the bellows and ground glass. Would this lens be useable on a large format camera in the field? They want $300.00 for all.

Dan Fromm
30-Jul-2020, 15:40
Absolutely positively usable, although putting the cells in shutter may be a problem. There are many solutions.

I said usable but 19"/480 mm +/- is a long lens and will need that much bellows to focus to infinity, more to focus closer. Kinda hard to use on a short camera.

Not a rare lens, look on ebay for completed sales. Red dot Artars are coated, sell for more than uncoated ones without the dot.

Tin Can
30-Jul-2020, 16:24
I have no regrets about the Levy Process Camera I saved from coffee table death

Mine is smaller, but very usable and has the finest bellows I have seen

Get all parts and any stuff laying around

Here's 2013 https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?104102-Levy-Process-camera-11x14-DIY-film-holder-mod

And I plan to use with 14X17 holders

Have made 10 X 16 and 11 X 14. Right now has 8 X 10 C1 Back for testing

Tin Can
30-Jul-2020, 16:26
more

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?100945-Levy-Process-camera-don-t-tell-me-to-throw-it-out-please&p=998768&viewfull=1#post998768

Mark Sampson
30-Jul-2020, 16:26
Grab it. That's a very high-quality lens, both close-up and at infinity. The industry standard for copying since forever, the design was made (by Schneider) into the 1990s.

Bob Salomon
30-Jul-2020, 16:46
Grab it. That's a very high-quality lens, both close-up and at infinity. The industry standard for copying since forever, the design was made (by Schneider) into the 1990s.

Mark, 90% of all vertical process cameras used Rodenstock lenses. Horizontal process cameras used lenses from Nikon, Rodenstock, Schneider, etc..

Dan Fromm
30-Jul-2020, 17:03
Mark, 90% of all vertical process cameras used Rodenstock lenses. Horizontal process cameras used lenses from Nikon, Rodenstock, Schneider, etc..

Both types also used lenses from Zeiss Jena (DDR) and its successor Docter, Berthiot, Boyer, TTH, Staeble (= Agfa, and sold under many names), Wray, ... And then there are process lenses from the former USSR.

Drew Wiley
30-Jul-2020, 17:17
Around here on the West Coast, cheap vertical stat cameras used mostly private-label lenses that certainly looked like R. Gerogons. Most big horizontal process cameras used much more expensive Apo Nikkors, though Bob might have evidence to contest my personal observation. Older ones typically had Goerz. If someone is lucky, they might stumble onto a free old process camera with a Goerz Trigor on it. Most such opportunities went to outright landfill quite awhile back, I fear. I have a whole set of superb Apo Nikkors cannibalized for free from a 22ft-long camera, and use them for both close-up repro work and general enlarging, though they're superb at infinity too. Red Dot Artars were once considered the cat's meow for sharp-image view camera usage, provided one did not need a wide angle of field, but as already noted, each of the major brands had their own 4-element airspaced equivalent.