PDA

View Full Version : APO Symmar 150mm - Aperture blades never fully open

ibandera
30-Jul-2020, 06:18
Hi!

I just got an APO Symmar 150mm in a Compur 0 shutter.
I have been checking the lens and realized that at f/5.6 it never gets wide open, I can still see the blades from the lens, they are out about 2mm on each side. The aperture never gets completely circular, it has curved edges.

Is that normal? does the lens aperture is actually less because of this?

Ignacio

Corran
30-Jul-2020, 17:58
Definitely not normal, at least in the Copal shutter mine is in. Perhaps you can post more photos and someone else can chime in about a Compur-mounted one.

CatSplat
31-Jul-2020, 22:15
An Apo Symmar seems a bit new for a Compur. Do you know if that's the original shutter for those cells? Sometimes shutter aperture openings are matched to the exit pupil size of the lenses they were sold with.

Myriophyllum
1-Aug-2020, 06:01
An Apo Symmar seems a bit new for a Compur. Do you know if that's the original shutter for those cells? Sometimes shutter aperture openings are matched to the exit pupil size of the lenses they were sold with.

Hi,

Apo-Symmar was sold in the latest version (the black one) of Compur in the 1990s. A very good shutter...
The 150mm came in Copal 0, Prontor Prof. 01S or Compur 0.
My Compur 0 fully opens (but a Grandagon-N 4.5/75mm here).

Best
Jens

CatSplat
1-Aug-2020, 18:18
Hi,

Apo-Symmar was sold in the latest version (the black one) of Compur in the 1990s. A very good shutter...
The 150mm came in Copal 0, Prontor Prof. 01S or Compur 0.
My Compur 0 fully opens (but a Grandagon-N 4.5/75mm here).

Best
Jens

Good to know, thanks. The Compur for my older 65mm/5.6 Super Angulon only opens as wide as the lens pupil, which is quite small.