PDA

View Full Version : Show Opening

michael meyer
5-Jan-2006, 06:31
Hi everyone,

A selection of my photographs from a new series will be up at Positive Focus Gallery (http://www.positivefocus.org" target=blank). The work is up under the title "shift, space, span." The Gallery is at 111 Front Street, 2nd floor, Brooklyn, NY. Opening reception is January 7th, this Saturday, from 2pm to 5pm. If you're in the NYC area, please stop by.

(Though it isn't technically large format, it is a very odd not really small format, and I hope you'll all forgive my transgression of a non-LF posting.)

Happy New Year
<p align="center">http://www.michaelmeyerphoto.com/sss_announce.jpg

windpointphoto
5-Jan-2006, 11:19
How interesting. I think abstracts, if these are abstracts, are the hardest of all photography. Certainly at the opposite end of "f/8 and be there". I'll risk the wrath and ask what others my want to know; How'd you do these?

michael meyer
5-Jan-2006, 16:58
Leonard-

They're definitely abstracts. For me they're all about time and exploring we experience it.

I'll risk the wrath by saying: Sorry, I don't want to share the process yet. Once I've gotten this work out into the world some more I might share, though probably not on the web. Here is a hint: I made them with my Nikon on the NYC subway. And Atlantic Avenue. And the Brooklyn Waterfront. It is incredibly simple when you think about it. You just have to use your camera incorrectly. Actually, that's four hints; I think that is most generous.

windpointphoto
5-Jan-2006, 21:28
It's said that imitation is the highest form of flattery, but you're right. As soon as someone comes up with an original idea, becoming more and more difficult, everyone is out there coping it. I did some fun abstract pictures many years ago with slide film at night. As a passenger in a car I would put the shutter on bulb and take pictures of semi-trailer truck's front sides with all the different lights while moving at 65 mph. Very fun to do and, in my humble opinion, interesting results. Simply a new thing to do with no goal in mind. Thanks for sharing!

paulr
10-Jan-2006, 10:00
i just realized i missed your opening, but i'll try to swing by sometime next week.