PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Linhof Tech questions...

Josh Root
5-Jan-2006, 01:11
I ended up with a Tech IV (or is it a V?). I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help with.

- What is the widest lens that I can easily put on one of these? I've heard that 65mm or shorter won't work well. So maybe a 75mm? What's a good budget 75mm choice? I'm not planning on making 4x5 my main photographic output (I'm all about the 1's & 0's these days). But I do have a couple projects that I'd like to work on that 4x5 would be neat for.

-The GG is dim. VERY dim compared to the Arca-Swiss I used to have a few years ago. What are my options for making it brighter? What kind of a price range am I looking at?

-Where's the best place to look for a few more Linhof (or linhof compatable) lensboards? I have a couple lenses that are on old graphic boards for some reason.

Thanks!

Bob Salomon
5-Jan-2006, 06:41
A IV does a front rise via a knob behind the front standard. A V does it via a crank in front of the standadr. If yours has a knob is the covering on the body black?

On a IV, V or Master you can easily use lenses down to 72mm on a 001116 or a oo1115 recessed Linhof board. For lenses from 55 to 65mm you need the Linhof Wide Angle Focus Device and a 001001 lens board for each lens to be used on the device. Or you can order Linhof tested lenses in the new Linhof Recessed Board with Helical. These are available for lenses down to 47mm.

You have a decades old camera. Linhof has vastly improved the brightness of the GG/Frenel since then. You just need to get a modern Linhof screen and Fresnel.

robc
5-Jan-2006, 06:51
I found the recessed lens boards to be a pain in operation because of the linkage not always firing but that may be because I hadn't tightened everything in the exact correct postion. But if you need them for short lenses then you need them.

Bob, Is there a quantifiable difference in quality by using Linhof tested lenses or is it more about Linhof providing the complete kit with lenses to suit?

David A. Goldfarb
5-Jan-2006, 07:03
If you're looking for a 75mm lens on a budget, the 75/8.0 Super-Angulon is probably your best bet--usually around $325 or so in good condition. You will need a recessed lensboard, and if it doesn't have the quick release linkage or a curved cable release adapter, use a Gepe flexible cable release extension.

The Wideangle Focusing Device is a bit of a quirky thing, but it does work like it should. You don't have much room for movements with the lens inside the body of the camera, but lenses in the 55-65mm range don't have that large an image circle in general, and certainly not if you're not buying the latest lenses with the maximum coverage.

John_4185
5-Jan-2006, 08:16
If you have a Technika and find that you really don't often need the rugged virtue of the clamshell or rangefinder when doing wide-angle work, you might invest a couple hundred bucks in a used Linhof Color. It accepts the same lensboards, has work-alike operation, is light enough and doesn't need a bag-bellows for down to 75mm (possibly further, but I haven't anything wider).

Linhof Colors show up on the auction site, lately overpriced, but maybe the prices will settle down again. I got mine for under $200 in good working condition.

Regarding the dim glass - I replaced mine with the economical Satin Snow and am happy, but people tell me I'm easy to please concerning dark viewing. I grew up with it and cope well.

Josh Root
5-Jan-2006, 09:30
The 90mm is currently on a recessed board (no idea which one), is this necessary? Could I use it for a 75mm if I pick one up at some point?

I'll look into that Satin Snow, I hadn't heard of that one before. I'm sure a new Linhof/fresnel would help a lot, but knowing Linhof, it's probably more than I want to spend for a "part-time" camera.

Bob, I have to say that I have disagreed with you & HP in the past. But I was just thinking highly of you and your company yesterday when I realized that I had not gotten rid of my "CombiplanT" with the rest of my LF gear. It's a great little gadget and will keep me from having to deal with setting up a whole darkroom again just for these 4x5's. Plus, I NEVER had any negs stuck together when I used it.

Thanks for the info so far everyone.

Donald Brewster
5-Jan-2006, 09:34
The Linhof Super Screen is quite nice, particularly compared to the older screen. I think you can get one for about $100 from MPEX. I've had good experiences with the Linhof-type boards made by Nikon (sold at MPEX) when I haven't been feeling flush enough to buy Linhof boards. For recessed boards, I've only used the Linhof boards -- I don't know anyone else who makes them anyway. For me personally, the wide angle focussing device is a pain and I don't use it. I don't see that wide anyway, so not a big deal. Have fun!

Michael Graves
5-Jan-2006, 12:36
I'll second the Satin Snow. I have a Toyo 8x10 and a Toyo 5x7. I recently replaced the 5x7 screen with a Satin Snow. Prior to making the change, the 8x10 was easier to focus because it is equipped with a Beattie IntenScreen. Now the 5x7 is the easier one to focus.

David A. Goldfarb
5-Jan-2006, 12:44
keh.com is also a good source for second-hand Linhof and Linhof-type boards. I have a variety of Linhof-type lensboards--Linhof, Wista, Toyo, and probably a couple of generics, and while they all work well enough, the original Linhof boards fit perfectly, so I'd usually prefer a used Linhof board over a new generic or other type.

Frank Petronio
5-Jan-2006, 13:40
Better to get a beat up Linhof board regardless as the Tech is tighter than other wooden tech board cameras. Just be patient on eBay.

The flexible Gepe cable release adapter is really the best way to access a recessed board lens - they are the absolutely best solution (David G will agree I think).

Of your lenses, you may want to base your selection on what folds up into the camera. The 90 Angulon and most 135-150 lenses will. And personally, you may want to sell all those old lenses and just get one or two modern lenses in good shutters, as the cost of CLA can kill you and there are a lot of good 1990s era Rodenstocks and Schneders going wanting. A 90 Angulon and a small 210 Geronar is a good light combo that fits into the camera body nicely.

John_4185
5-Jan-2006, 19:33
I ended up with a Tech IV (or is it a V?)

You might appreciate seeing the popular site on the Technika models here: cameraquest.com/techs.htm (http://cameraquest.com/techs.htm)

Josh Root
5-Jan-2006, 19:44
Being a rangefinder fan, I'm well aware of Gandy's site.

However, I didn't find that specific page all that useful when I read it previously. Since he didn't bother to put any photos up to show what the different cameras look like.

I am 99% sure at this point though, that I have a Tech IV.

Frank Petronio
5-Jan-2006, 19:46
If it worries you then post a photo and the "experts" will ID it.

John_4185
5-Jan-2006, 20:47
I didn't find that specific page all that useful when I read it previously.

The serial numbers posted on the site did not help?

John_4185
5-Jan-2006, 20:55
I was joking about the numbers. Sorry. It's been a long day. I think I have a wierd IV myself. A little IV, a little V. But it's okay.

Bob Salomon
6-Jan-2006, 05:49
"I found the recessed lens boards to be a pain in operation because of the linkage not always firing but that may be because I hadn't tightened everything in the exact correct postion. But if you need them for short lenses then you need them.
Bob, Is there a quantifiable difference in quality by using Linhof tested lenses or is it more about Linhof providing the complete kit with lenses to suit?"

There is no problem with linkages or hand or finger access with Linhof's current series of wa recessed boards - the 001015 1nd 001016. The new current versions of these two boards. Not the older versions of the board. They are totally different from the old boards. They use the Gepe W/A Cable Release cable rather then the wire links, It has a round red dot forindexing on the front of the board to tell if the PressFocusw is open or closed and it hs an aperture scale on the front top surface of the board to indictae the aperture the lens is set to,

Yes there is a very noticeable difference in Linhof tested non Rodenstock lenses vs non tested lenses from manufacturers other then rodenstock. Since the test is performed on Rodenstock's test eqipment the test replicates the Rodenstock test so the difference between the Linhof tested and non tested Rodenstock lenses since they sinply repeat the test that they had already passed atb the Rodenstock faactory.

Ed Richards
6-Jan-2006, 10:32
I have one of the new Linhof recessed boards with the extensions for the F-stop scale and it works great.