PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 4x5 compatible 5x7 field camera

RoboRepublic
18-Jul-2020, 20:57
Hi folks, just joined the forum today as recently I've been super interested in large format photomaking. Ive started absorbing the literature online, and wanted to poll this forum for some recommendations for a 5x7 camera that can occasionally, but still effectively, be used with 4x5 sheet film, and one that takes readily available lens boards and film holders.

I believe the Wista DX 45 iii has an adapting back for 5x7 image making, are there any others I should look into?
Please keep in mind that I'm trying very hard to stave off the Linhoff Master Technika lust (I'm not even sure if their 5x7 cameras can use modern lens boards)

I'm so very excited to get started on the LF journey, and am very grateful for any help!

Vaughn
18-Jul-2020, 23:44
If an older wood field camera would suit your purposes, the Deardorf Special would be a great tool. It does not need the extended back the Wista DX 45 iii needs for 5x7. I used a Rajah...a Indian knock off of the Deardorf...for 5x7 for several years.

Willie
19-Jul-2020, 02:33
Go for a 5x7 with the additional 4x5 back rather than a 4x5 with the add on 5x7 extender/adapter back.
Deardorff is excellent and available. In newer bodies look at Canham. Keith Canham makes very good cameras and if you have questions you often get to talk with the maker.

Most any 5x7 will take a 4x5 back - if the back is removable. From Tachihara to Sinar - the field is pretty much wide open.

Drew Bedo
19-Jul-2020, 06:48
Years back, I had a Burk and James 5x7 that I regularly shot 4x5 with a reducing back. It is a rugged wood field camera, not too expensive and has all the movements you will want.. Lens boards are often available on line as are reducing backs. Both ca be made in an at home garage work shop if you lean towards DIY.

Painted grey, the B&J cameras don't look elegant, but I refinished mine in its natural wood and it did look nice.

The same is true for Kodak2Ds in 5x7. These cameras lack front swing and tilt, but are finished in a nice dark natural wood. I have one in 8x10 and like it.

Andrew Plume
19-Jul-2020, 06:53
Hi folks, just joined the forum today as recently I've been super interested in large format photomaking. Ive started absorbing the literature online, and wanted to poll this forum for some recommendations for a 5x7 camera that can occasionally, but still effectively, be used with 4x5 sheet film, and one that takes readily available lens boards and film holders.

I believe the Wista DX 45 iii has an adapting back for 5x7 image making, are there any others I should look into?
Please keep in mind that I'm trying very hard to stave off the Linhoff Master Technika lust (I'm not even sure if their 5x7 cameras can use modern lens boards)

I'm so very excited to get started on the LF journey, and am very grateful for any help!

Hi

And welcome to the Forum

I've always understood that the extra 5 x 7 back is pretty hard to find

Good luck and regards

Andrew

Conrad . Marvin
19-Jul-2020, 08:47
Like you have been hearing, I also think that it is better to have a 5x7 and use a 4x5 back on it when needed. That being said, I got tired of carrying the heavier camera around and ended up getting a good lighter weight 4x5 and haven’t used the 4x5 back on my 5x7 for years. Anyway, welcome to large format photography......it’s a blast.

Jeff Keller
19-Jul-2020, 09:16
Putting a 4x5 adapter on the back of a 5x7 may impact your use of super wide angle lenses (the focal plane is moved back). Some 5x7 cameras basically replace the 5x7 back with a 4x5 back and have minimal impact on super wide lenses.

5x7 cameras often have a longer bellows enabling you to use longer lenses.

I like the Canham MQC 5x7 because the bellows are especially flexible allowing a wide range of lenses with movements. I've had good luck with it down to a Super Angulon XL 72mm with a 4x5 adapter.

A 5x7 camera will also allow you to use panoramic roll fill holders such as the Canham 6x17.

Good luck,
Jeff

Jim Jones
19-Jul-2020, 18:45
I agree with Drew Bedo in post #4. My most often used view camera for many years was a B&J tailboard 5x7 with the original back and an improvised 4x5 back. You'll need a recessed lens board to use a 90mm wide angle. and even then front rise will be limited.

Two23
19-Jul-2020, 18:50
My 5x7 Gundlach Korona also has a 4x5 back. It's a beautiful camera.

Kent in SD

denverjims
19-Jul-2020, 20:56
Take a look at the Chamonix 45H-1. While it has some limitations, it can be a 4x5; a 5x7;a 4x10; or a 6x17.

It is well made and light for its capabilities. Also fairly affordable.

+1 on the welcome, Jim

Greg Y
19-Jul-2020, 22:44
Chamonix 57n

djdister
20-Jul-2020, 04:15
Canham MQC 5x7, also with 4x5 back, with 6x17 motorized rollfilm back...

206047 206048 206049 206050

Tin Can
20-Jul-2020, 05:28
My favorite 2 format camera is a 5X7 / 4X5 Korona factory kit

OE heavy felt lined box containing camera with 2 backs and DDS wood holders

Later Packard shutter, but upgraded with Kodak Commercial Ektar 8" lens in working shutter

Close fit on the new lens board, but all functions work including sync for barrel lenses

Far cheaper than a new camera, many were made

Bellows still great and light tight

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50132659583_0f92412bb7_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jo3Z6H)Konana 5X7 (https://flic.kr/p/2jo3Z6H) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50132659858_60f3ebb21e_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jo3Zbs)Ektar 8 inch (https://flic.kr/p/2jo3Zbs) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50133218981_8b4d8e0df8_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jo6Rov)Korona 5X7 Packard (https://flic.kr/p/2jo6Rov) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

Drew Bedo
20-Jul-2020, 07:16
I agree with Drew Bedo in post #4. My most often used view camera for many years was a B&J tailboard 5x7 with the original back and an improvised 4x5 back. You'll need a recessed lens board to use a 90mm wide angle. and even then front rise will be limited.

One of the things I liked about my B&J 5x7 to 4x5 set up was the long bellows draw. I used that to do some macro imaging. The B&J lens boards are simple enough for home-shop DIY. Recessed lens boards are available online. At the same time, I used a beat-up Speed Graphic with a 90mm for wide angle shooting; no front swing but it did have some rise and a bit of forward tilt.. . . .and in those days, the body was less expensive.

Sadly, I now wish I had kept the B&J. Still have the Speed.

Luis-F-S
20-Jul-2020, 09:19
+1 on the Deardorff V 5 Special. Only available used but they’re generally in better shape than the 8x10’s.

DrTang
20-Jul-2020, 10:07
I have a 4x5 back for my 5x7 Linhof Tech III

RoboRepublic
20-Jul-2020, 11:59
Thanks everyone for the replies and warm welcome. The Deardorff and Canham seem (likely deservedly) very expensive, since its my first foray, I seem to be leaning towards an Intrepid 5x7, or a Burke and James, or the Rittreck View. Would anyone have any experience with the Rittreck and would it be a bad choice? I really like the industrial, all metal design! I'm hesitant on the all wood B&Js though they do seem light.

I'm also interested in understanding the negative carriers, are they all of the same design, or does each camera take its own propriety negative holders?
@DrTang I see alot of affordable Linhof Tech III's but my understanding is that their lensboards are hard to come by.
@Tin Can / Kent The I see no results for the Korona camera on ebay, they seem very rare!

Andrew Plume
20-Jul-2020, 12:07
Hello Mr 'RoboRep'

Welcome (on board again), I suggest you send a pm to our fellow member 'Kumar' who is not only very knowledgeable but now lives in Japan where Rittreck's were made, he is as likely as anyone on here to be able to guide you. Kumar very much know's 'his stuff'

regards and good luck

Andrew

Tin Can
20-Jul-2020, 12:11
Wait a month and put up a WTB when you gain access to both WTB and FS

Suddenly all this is gear is being used OR sold asap

I have nothing for sale

RoboRepublic
20-Jul-2020, 12:18
I have indeed been intouch with him and am trying to spare him from the deluge of questions I have :)

Tin Can
20-Jul-2020, 12:21
We assume you have read this page

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/

djdister
20-Jul-2020, 14:16
I had a Rittreck with 5x7 back several years ago. They are built like a tank and pretty indestructible when folded up. The lens board is different from most, so I also had a Technika adapter which helped a lot. That said, it has a number of limitations compared to many 5x7 cameras, so it might be a good only as a starter camera. Unfolding and folding it is an interesting exercise too, though no big deal once you use it enough.

Thanks everyone for the replies and warm welcome. The Deardorff and Canham seem (likely deservedly) very expensive, since its my first foray, I seem to be leaning towards an Intrepid 5x7, or a Burke and James, or the Rittreck View. Would anyone have any experience with the Rittreck and would it be a bad choice? I really like the industrial, all metal design! I'm hesitant on the all wood B&Js though they do seem light.

I'm also interested in understanding the negative carriers, are they all of the same design, or does each camera take its own propriety negative holders?
@DrTang I see alot of affordable Linhof Tech III's but my understanding is that their lensboards are hard to come by.
@Tin Can / Kent The I see no results for the Korona camera on ebay, they seem very rare!

Vaughn
20-Jul-2020, 15:09

I'm also interested in understanding the negative carriers, are they all of the same design, or does each camera take its own propriety negative holders?...

If one can get a good price for a Deardorf Special, they are likely to hold their price if one decides to sell it. Just something to factor in. Modern cameras will take the standard 5x7 holders...most of the older ones, Kodak 2D for example, will too. But best to double check with the seller.

I use a 5x7 Eastman Kodak View No.2. Only rise/fall on the front, but nice geared full movements for the back. It has been working out well as a travel and backpacking camera as well as an everyday machine!

John Kasaian
20-Jul-2020, 16:49
I'll use a Agfa Ansco with both 4x5 and 5x7 backs. Good 'nuf for what I need.

agregov
20-Jul-2020, 18:01
+1 on the Deardorf Special. I've seen them sell in the $1200-1500 dollar range.

stevelmx5
22-Jul-2020, 15:26
I’m currently developing an accessory kit that will allow you to convert my 4x5 Chroma Carbon Adventurer into a 5x7 Camera whenever you wish. The accessory kit contains a swap out rear body/film back, larger bellows (magnetic) and longer focusing bed. With the longer bed and replacement rear body, you will retain the 60mm minimum focal length, but extend the maximum to just under 400mm (4x5 is 60-280mm as standard).

The 5x7 rear body retains the standard 20mm rise, 17 degrees of rearwards tilt (no limit forward tilt) and 10 degrees of swing each way.

The rear body is swappable by removing two thumbscrews, the bellows are a simple magnetic fit and the focusing bed just requires two screws to be removed. All of the parts can be swapped back to 4x5 for when you want a smaller camera.

mdarnton
22-Jul-2020, 17:32
I want to sign in with the Korona guys. My 5x7 (and I have a 4x5 back, too) is a delightful and well-thought out camera. It's got front and back extensions and huge bellows draw, but will also work with a 108mm lens on a slightly-recessed board. If you want to go wider, maybe not.

It weighs less than almost all of my 4x5s, and quite a bit less than my 5x7 Ansco view, so it's the one I grab for trips out. The camera, holders, a couple of lenses and the tidbits fit easily in a large messenger bag, and I can carry that on a walk, no problem. In fact, it's set up right now in front of me in the corner, because of all the cameras I have, it's the one I'm most likely to grab.

When I bought it, it was set up with a 4x5 back, only. I fitted a 5x7, and that format is definitely my preference in sheet sizes--large enough to enjoy a big ground glass, small enough to carry around.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeldarnton/38793181450/

Drew Bedo
23-Jul-2020, 04:57
I use a 5x7 Eastman Kodak View No.2. Only rise/fall on the front, but nice geared full movements for the back. It has been working out well as a travel and backpacking camera as well as an everyday machine!

I have an 8x10 2D and like it. One feature that I like about the 2D and the B&J designs is that the rail can fold up to protect the lens while mounted for transport. The press cameras are self-storing too with the right lenses. My Zone VI and many other field cameras do fold up into a compact, tight package, but the lens must come off first. Adds complexity and several steps when moving around.

Max Grew
23-Jul-2020, 07:34

Hello, welcome to the forum!

We make a 5x7 camera and a 5x7 to 4x5 reducing back for it, might be what you are after

5x7 Camera -> https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/intrepid-5x7?taxon_id=29

Reducing Back -> https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/5x7-to-4x5-reducing-back

let me know if you have any questions about it!

DrTang
23-Jul-2020, 09:29

well..5x7 tech lensboards are very hard to find..although not impossible; the linhof tech III 4x5 lensboards might be hard to find..but they are basically a square piece of metal..so anyone who has a metal shear could make you a stack of 'em

Joseph Kashi
26-Jul-2020, 00:08
The Rittreck is the lineal ancestor of the modern Wista metal field cameras, but metaphorically built by whoever built the battleship Yamato.

The basic camera is an all-metal 5x7 outfit with reversible 5x7 and 4x5 reducing backs that clip securely on the metal body. Without lens, lens board, or film holder, a basic Rittreck weighs about 9 pounds 6 ounces. It folds up into a compact but dense package that's quite well protected if you include a ground glass protector. 4x5 backs are readily available, fit just like the original standard 5x7 back, and do not add depth. Often, many Rittrecks on the used market come with only the 4x5 back, so check what's included.

Overall, the Rittreck works well in the field with lenses from 90-305mm. I found that, with a bit of tinkering such as removing stop blocks, you can use a 14"/360mm lens like a Red Dot Artar, focusing down to about 7-10 feet. IIRC, I was also able to use a Fujinon 75mm SW lens without the need for special lens boards on my Rittreck with the 4x5 back.

Rittrecks are one of the best buys in a "modern" metal 5x7 field camera. Usually, older Rittrecks will need some cleaning and lubrication of moving surfaces and would benefit from new bellows. The spring-loaded bail is often quite stiff, so I had a machinist friend remove one leaf from the spring, which helped. A Canham MQC 5x7 is a few pounds lighter and has more versatile bellows/extension. However, it's also at least 5X more expensive on the used market,

Rod Klukas
4-Aug-2020, 19:55
K B Canham makes such a camera currently. It is a 5x7 with a 4x5 or a 5x7 back.