PDA

View Full Version : S & K view camera

David Marshall
4-Jan-2006, 12:20
I have recently purchased, through ebay, a 5 x4 monorail view camera made by the Shiro Photo Co and called the S&K view camera. The lens fitted is an uncoated Wray Lustrar of unknown age. I have tried in vain searching the internet for info but have had no luck at all, apart from what seems to be a non working web site of Shiro Photo. I bought it as a cheap way into large format having usd an MPP some years ago with good results so if anyone can shed any light on this camera I would be very grateful and would be only too pleased to reimburse any costs incurred.
Best Regards,
Dave Marshall

Ernest Purdum
4-Jan-2006, 16:28
The Shiro Photo Company was very prominent (as LF companies went) during the period when Japanese makers were transitioning from very tradtional types closely resembling British cameras of ca. 1905 towards the modern view and field cameras we have today. Besides their own production, they werre the sole export agents for Toyo cameras. They were then, and perhaps still are, at 10, Kanehira-cho, Fukushima-ku, Osaka.

`The "S&K Vew Camera" examples I have seen were field cameras rather than monorails and mostly 1/2-plate rather than 5X4.. I am wondering if you might not have a early Toyo branded by Shiro.

Ernest Purdum
4-Jan-2006, 17:23
I went to eBay to see if I could find the listing for the one you bought. I didn't, but I did find one for sale from Italy. Is yours similar? You can see it at Item #7578581168, or by searching "Banco Ottico". This one doesn't look like a re-branded Toyo, but it does look like a decent camera.

David Marshall
5-Jan-2006, 02:18
Hi Ernest, thanks for your reply. The item I won is #7564939338 but the price is less than the final bid as the guy had lost one of the backs.

David Marshall
5-Jan-2006, 02:24
#7578581168 is exactly the same as the item I bought, but mine came with a lens.

Clay Turtle
24-Jan-2008, 12:03
Having just purchased 5x7 S&K Shiro Photo Company Camera, I am suddenly curious as to what you may havee discovered about the manufacturer?