PDA

View Full Version : Did I damage my emulsion?

AFSmithphoto
18-Jul-2020, 11:03
Hello all,
I recently loaded some film from a box that had been in my freezer for years, and I discovered that many of the sheets were practically glued together. After doing some searching through this forum and others, I've discovered that in the future, freezing my film with a desiccant in the ziplock can help prevent this.
What I've also discovered, is nearly everyone has the patience I lack, because I went ahead and pried most of the sheets apart before it occurred to me that this was probably a very dumb thing to do.
I don't get to shoot 4x5 as often as like, and though I hate to dispose of film that might be good, I think I would hate even more to ruin a beautiful shot on some questionable film.
Would anyone a little more experienced than me care to share their thoughts on how likely it is that I've damaged this film?

Dugan
18-Jul-2020, 12:02
Was it a factory-sealed box?
Did you allow the film to come up to room temperature before opening it?

AFSmithphoto
18-Jul-2020, 21:24
Was it a factory-sealed box?
Did you allow the film to come up to room temperature before opening it?

Hi and thanks for the reply. It was not factory sealed (I'm about halfway through the box) and I did allow it to come up to room temperature first.

Gary Beasley
19-Jul-2020, 08:08
The emulsion is definitely damaged where it stuck together, you will have some interesting alterations to your image where it was stuck. Process on soon as you can to see how bad it is.