PDA

View Full Version : Buying large format lenses... (Newby question)

davidpalermo
15-Jul-2020, 09:19
I notice when looking for a lens many of already mounted to a lens board of various brands. I am about to buy a Toyo 4x5 and am now looking for lenses. I was told in order to remove a lens from a lens board and then mount that lens to a lens board for my camera I need a spanner wrench. Looks like a Toyo spanner wrench looks different from a Rodenstock wrench but the descriptions say they are "universal". Do I need two spanner wrenches? One to remove the lens from whatever lensboard and a Toyo one to attach my lens to a Toyo lens board?

Or I guess I can try to find a lens that is already mounted to a Toyo lens board.

Any suggestions are most appreciated!

Thank you,

David

mdarnton
15-Jul-2020, 09:24
Universal is universal. And for this one-off job I'd buy something cheap on Ebay.

jim_jm
15-Jul-2020, 10:37
You can use any spanner wrench that'll fit the notches in the retaining ring that holds the lens to the board. I've also found that the inexpensive wrenches can work just as well as the brand-specific wrenches, which can be overpriced IMHO.
Adjustable wrenches like this one at Micro-Tools (https://www.micro-tools.com/collections/camera-repair-tools/products/spb) work great, just need to make sure the adjustment range of the wrench covers the diameter of the retaining ring you're removing/installing.
Lens boards for your camera are available in different size holes to fit a variety of lenses. I'd first find the lens you need/want (with or without a board), then get a lens board that is drilled to match. Very easy to find on eBay.

abruzzi
15-Jul-2020, 10:39
usually the flat plate spanner wrenches (as opposed to the adjustable ones) have each side cut with pins at the correct distance for a certain shutter's retaining ring. So, since it has 4 sides, its universal for size shutters cut into the sides--copal 0, copal 1, and copal 3 will probably be on most, then the 4th one might be a seiko size, a copal 00, or something else. Alternatively, you could buy an adjustable wrench--then it would potentially fit everything, but wouldn't be as convenient.

Basically the retaining ring looks like this:

https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/NjY0WDEwMDA=/z/vsgAAOSwAPlXg559/$/New-large-format-LF-Lens-Retaining-Ring-for-_1.jpg

and the plate has pins the exact with to engage those notches.

Bob Salomon
15-Jul-2020, 11:03
They are quite different. The Rodenstock fits 0, 1 and 3 shutters. The Toyo only fits 0 and 1 shutters. So universal doesn’t fit the Toyo.

John Kasaian
15-Jul-2020, 11:07
You can also make your own. Just take careful measurements.

Jim Noel
15-Jul-2020, 12:02
to follow up on John's suggestion:
drive finishing nails through a small piece of wood, at the precise measured distance between the slots, or holes in the ring.
This is much stronger than the low cost adjustable wrenches.

Bob Salomon
15-Jul-2020, 12:28
to follow up on John's suggestion:
drive finishing nails through a small piece of wood, at the precise measured distance between the slots, or holes in the ring.
This is much stronger than the low cost adjustable wrenches.

Neither the Toyo or the Rodenstock wrenches are adjustable. The Rodenstock is stainless steel. Look it up!

Mark Sawyer
15-Jul-2020, 12:59
These home-made spanner wrenches are better than any factory-made spanner wrenches I've used. Adjustable by screwing the angled screws in and out, very solid, and lots of leverage in an easy-to-hold mount. Inexpensive too!

Drew Wiley
15-Jul-2020, 13:22
I use a right-angle needle-nosed pliers that I've ground the tips even finer on. Works well on any shutter ring up to a no.3. Make sure you remove both front and rear lens elements before attempting to remove the ring - one slip might scratch and ruin the optics themselves!

Jim Noel
15-Jul-2020, 14:10
These home-made spanner wrenches are better than any factory-made spanner wrenches I've used. Adjustable by screwing the angled screws in and out, very solid, and lots of leverage in an easy-to-hold mount. Inexpensive too!

Angled screws are a great idea.

Maris Rusis
15-Jul-2020, 16:50
I use a right-angle needle-nosed pliers that I've ground the tips even finer on. Works well on any shutter ring up to a no.3. Make sure you remove both front and rear lens elements before attempting to remove the ring - one slip might scratch and ruin the optics themselves!

Good advice indeed. And because I get paranoid about exerting significant force near a shutter I fire it on T to get the shutter blades out of the way. Then I open the iris fully to get those delicate blades out of the way too. Now if I slip there's only a clear hole in the middle of the shutter and nothing to break.

B.S.Kumar
15-Jul-2020, 21:08
Toyo spanner wrenches fit Copal / Seiko #0, Copal #1 and Seiko #1 shutters. Copal #1 and Seiko #1 shutters have different sizes. #3 shutters are not supported.

Kumar