PDA

View Full Version : Camping suggestions on the west coast or western states?

6x6TLL
14-Jul-2020, 17:36
My son will be returning soon from Europe and will have to quarantine with me for 2 weeks. So I thought why not travel around and spread any potential contagion he may have picked up - no just kidding, I was thinking we'd go camping and see some of the west coast while he's here (he came here to go to high school in Los Angeles), while staying far away from others.

A colleague recommended Big Sur, I haven't checked all the campgrounds there, but so far all I've looked at are fully booked. It looks amazing though.

Another idea that struck me was to drive past Vegas and visit Bryce Canyon and Zion, although I expect both are pretty hot this time of the year. Maybe even the Grand Canyon, it doesn't seem to much further away. But we could head due west from there to the coast and see some of the sequoia national park on the way to the ocean where there are more redwoods, forests and beaches.

Again, we will be staying far away from other people and wearing masks anytime we're out and about, it seems to me a good way to use the time he has to be in quarantine anyway before going back to school (and where he's coming from there have been no new cases for over a month, I'm more worried about the airplane back to the US). If school even opens, it's looking more and more unlikely.

He's really into photography and hasn't had a chance to see much around here yet, and it would be a great opportunity for me to take the 4x5 out on a real road trip.

So my question is simple - can anyone recommend one or more camping spots in the general geography mentioned that are open, and more importantly that might still have available space? I.e. California, Nevada, western Utah or Arizona?

Thanks!

Drew Wiley
14-Jul-2020, 18:19
You have to keep up with immediate website info postings on all the respective parks, because things can turn on a dime right now. Formal campgrounds are likely to require a formal reservation if the spot is popular, or might be outright closed for the duration. But there are countless numbers of spots you can unofficially camp all over the West on National Forest lands or even undesignated forest or desert if it's not private property. Our northern California coast and redwoods are almost entirely closed to camping or picknicking, but open to hiking with social distancing. The central Calif coast around Monterey, Big Sur,etc,is rightfully extremely concerned about too many people arriving from out of the area, and various restrictions will probably get re-imposed if needed. Nevada is mostly open range, with lots of little nooks and crannies in the sagebrush to pull over. But developed campgrounds up in aspen in the Ruby Mtns or Great Basin Natl Park would require you to check in advance. Utah is similar: abundant places to camp, but not necessarily the formally developed ones. Remember, some rural towns might not be too happy to see out-of-towners show up this particular season. There are now even quarantines involving travel between certain states. So you have to factor in not only where one might fly in and out of, but any significant road route. It's a mess. Better to select a relatively limited area to explore where the virus isn't in panic mode.

Greg Y
14-Jul-2020, 19:00
"Isolation separates sick people with a contagious disease from people who are not sick.
Quarantine separates and restricts the movement of people who were exposed to a contagious disease to see if they become sick. "

"Again, we will be staying far away from other people and wearing masks anytime we're out and about" 6x6TTL

I don't think you get the picture.

Drew Wiley
14-Jul-2020, 20:09
"Far away" is relative. Right now, much of the viral explosion seems to be traveling from hot spots over the interstate highways to rural locations. There is also no way to know who is a carrier or not. Current tests are quite imperfect, and, for the average person, too slow. For example, Hawaii will now let you visit, provided a test less than 72 hours old comes back negative and you have the paperwork - so you wait in line for hours and maybe even days, and wait up to a couple weeks for the results, planning a trip to the Islands? The plane already left. Similarly, it took me weeks bouncing back and forth between different agencies just to get my summer wilderness permit for high country backpacking. I'm not angry with them, because, with so many different variables and jurisdictions involved, they didn't know what to expect either. Just stopping at a gas station imposes risk. Total isolation is impossible, and quarantining is a constantly shifting patchwork system in this country, devoid of centralized oversight. On the positive side, gas prices are cheap. But my own strategy is to get to high country quickly, with a minimum of human contact, which fortunately, is fairly easy to do here. Same goes for our coast - I can zip over there and hike for the day with very little risk because I know of all kinds of trails and special spots with little visitation. But there's no place for anyone outside the area to camp or otherwise stay. Other than food stores and gas stations, and take-out food, every other kind of convenience is shut down.

Two23
14-Jul-2020, 20:20
Wife & I live in South Dakota, a state well known for being sparsely populated. Last weekend we went to North Dakota which is the even less populated Dakota. There have been very few COVID cases in my state and even fewer in North Dakota, so we felt pretty safe going to Teddy Roosevelt National Park. It's in a remote part of the country and well over a day's drive from any major city. We were surprised at how many people were there though! I talked to a couple who had just left Yellowstone National Park. They said it was so jammed with people you couldn't find a place to park anywhere, and people on foot were easily passing the cars that were lined for miles. I'm thinking all the parks are probably like this now. Wife & I are now planning our next get away to places that are quite beautiful but have no well known attractions. We're thinking of the northwestern corner of our state or the western side of the Black Hills in Wyoming.

Kent in SD

Drew Wiley
14-Jul-2020, 20:38
Just sounds like any summer in Yellowstone, etc. Things over at Pt Reyes Natl Seashore near here are actually less crowded than a typical summer. Very few foreign visitors; and as usual in any Park, 95% of the people only go to 5% of the spots, and even those are easy to stay well distanced from others on. There were special closures imposed over the 4th of July holiday. Most of the high Sierra is open, provided one factors in that most of it is designated wilderness with no vehicle access. Yosemite Valley has restrictions, but if it didn't, it would be overwhelmed just like Yellowstone. Why anyone goes there in summer heat anyway, I can't understand. Cross over the top, over one of the high passes, then the greater Yosemite Park offers oodles of total isolation. But even it is just a minor portion of a greater equally impressive mountain range. The popular JMT (John Muir Trail) and PCT (Pacific Coast Trail) are exceptions to the probability of isolation, and that's probably why permits for any trail system connecting to them require phone-in approval near the time of entry. There are no restrictions to just day hiking. ... But I've scratched off a trip to the Wind River Range in Wyoming again this summer. It's super easy to get away from people there. But there isn't a single medical clinic for certain entire counties - just doctor or two begging visitors to simply stay away lest they get overwhelmed.

John Kasaian
14-Jul-2020, 21:08
How about a trip up 395? Lots of classic Sierra scenery without the hassle of the National Parks unless you want it. Plenty of dispersed car camping opportunities as well.
Check out:
June Lake Loop
Lee Vining
Saddlebag Lake
Virginia Lakes
Twin Lakes

Also there are camp grounds on the Truckee River between Tahoe City and Truckee(Granite Flats is a favorite of ours), but I don't know if they're open or not.
If you have a 4WD I can recommend Brewer Lake in the Sierra National Forest---a great place to chill with very few visitors. It's not far off of HWY 168 so it's also an easy back pack in if you don't have a 4WD

Big Sur beaches will be open (or closed) according to the whims of Gov Hair Gel----next to impossible to plan on anything on the coast beyond a few days notice right now in my experience.

Two23
14-Jul-2020, 21:15
Just sounds like any summer in Yellowstone, etc. Things over at Pt Reyes Natl Seashore near here are actually less crowded than a typical summer. Very few foreign visitors; and as usual in any Park, 95% of the people only go to 5% of the spots, and even those are easy to stay well distanced from others on. There were special closures imposed over the 4th of July holiday. Most of the high Sierra is open, provided one factors in that most of it is designated wilderness with no vehicle access. Yosemite Valley has restrictions, but if it didn't, it would be overwhelmed just like Yellowstone. Why anyone goes there in summer heat anyway, I can't understand. Cross over the top, over one of the high passes, then the greater Yosemite Park offers oodles of total isolation. But even it is just a minor portion of a greater equally impressive mountain range. The popular JMT (John Muir Trail) and PCT (Pacific Coast Trail) are exceptions to the probability of isolation, and that's probably why permits for any trail system connecting to them require phone-in approval near the time of entry. There are no restrictions to just day hiking. ... But I've scratched off a trip to the Wind River Range in Wyoming again this summer. It's super easy to get away from people there. But there isn't a single medical clinic for certain entire counties - just doctor or two begging visitors to simply stay away lest they get overwhelmed.

I think what's going on is since people aren't traveling overseas they are going to domestic locations. At the Roosevelt NP I was at last weekend I paid close attention to the license plates on the cars. About 70% were in-state, and 25% were from an adjoining state (mostly Minnesota.) That left about 5% from out of the region. This park is not well known and is far from any major population center, and about as far as you can get from East/West coasts and still be in the continental U.S.

Kent in SD

reddesert
15-Jul-2020, 02:10
It's going to be a long summer before school starts, and while wherever he is probably safer than the US, the plane and airport are a worry. Stay home for a week or two before going out on a road trip. You or he don't want to wake up with a cough one morning in the middle of nowhere in the Canyonlands or camped along a national forest dirt road somewhere and have to figure out how to get to the ER that is almost a 100 miles away. It's extremely unlikely but the consequences are also potentially severe.

I don't know what is open, and it can change from week to week. Zion will be hot this time of year, Bryce less so (Bryce rim is much higher elevation than Zion canyon bottom), but both could be crowded. Last time I was in Zion NP it was ridiculously crowded although though it wasn't even summer yet. The Grand Canyon rim is also high and would be less hot, but the inner canyon will be very hot, and again campgrounds are likely to be crowded if open.

There are lots of places like Drew mentions where there are no developed facilities and no crowds, but different people have very different ideas about camping, from "I can pack two weeks of food and not see another person" to "I want to stay in developed campgrounds with a bathroom and a nearby snack bar or food store."

John Layton
15-Jul-2020, 05:01
Not sure how things are out west right now...state-wise, but here in Vermont and nearby in NH...absolutely everything open is booked up - 24/7.

Even though we'd had to cancel a two-week trip due to Covid, my wife kept her two weeks off intact (I'm retired) so we could do some camping in Vt. and NH. Foolishly, we figured we could wait until just a few days ahead to make reservations, to get a sense of weather patterns...and now everything that is open is booked solid! Pre-Covid, all of these places (mostly state park campgrounds) would have had lots of last minute openings...but not now!

Tin Can
15-Jul-2020, 05:28
I camp daily in my back yard

there is nowhere to go right now

Drew Wiley
15-Jul-2020, 10:37
My own backyard is already booked up with campers - kittens laying around everywhere. But that's about to change in a few minutes when I start mowing. One of the reasons formal campsites are so heavily booked this summer in certain areas of the West is that the Forest Service itself, along with the NPS, has instituted a greater degree of enforced spacing between spots, for sake of both public safety, and to economize and protect their own spotty staffing. Everyone is affected. If I was undertaking a real road trip, rather than just a few hours of driving to the mountains, I'd skip any kind of formal developed camping option, just like I always do. Just be self-contained, with plenty of extra food and water, a decent tent, and warm sleeping bags. In higher parts of the West, winter-like storms can arrive anytime of year, and a number of desert areas are subject to flash flooding in late summer. But beautiful casual campsites abound once you've gotten some distance between you and an Interstate Hwy or major city. Right now, So Cal (LA), and Arizona are the viral hot spots of the SW. The urban NW is also experiencing a lot of issues. And what are ordinarily popular little tourist towns are now resentful of outsiders showing up and forcing locals to avoid shopping for groceries or whatever out of fear. These smaller venues easily get overwhelmed. And once that starts to get out of control here on the central CA coast at least, authorities start asking for ID's, and formally ask people from out of the area to promptly leave. At one point, hefty fines were levied, when asking didn't seem to work.

John Kasaian
15-Jul-2020, 11:13
Dispersed car camp is the way to go if not back packing. Most spurs and passes off of 395 have good spots. Maybe inquire at the Ranger Station in Bridgeport.

Drew Wiley
15-Jul-2020, 13:18
No walk-ins allowed at any Ranger Station, John. The websites for specific National Forests list the few current contact phone numbers, but one should not expect information above and beyond basic road conditions, restrictions, and status of formal campsites. Some spur roads have all the nice spots squatted on for months in a row by teardrop trailers and motorhomes. Others have their own little overlooked side roads with all kinds of wonderful spots. Looking for them at night can be frustrating unless one has previous experience camping there. Sonora and Monitor passes have an abundance of lovely casual car camping spots. 4WD allows additional options. Mosquito season will end relatively early in the coming month. It's a fairly dry year. Forest fire smoke conditions are always unpredictable. (John already knows all this - I'm stating it for sake of non-locals.) The hills east of Bridgeport get little traffic, but some areas are in sage and can be dusty. I'm not going to give away any of my relatively secret favorite locations. Scenery-wise, you can't go wrong. It's all around you, everywhere you look along the 395 corridor. Just have a basic road map and head uphill any number of opportunities.

6x6TLL
15-Jul-2020, 19:36
Thanks for all the replies so far!

I think John's suggestion of driving up 365 makes a lot of sense, we can find spots on the way, or do day trips to more popular spots, unless there are a bunch of people there in which case we can simply turn around and go somewhere else.

We'll either be camping out of a car (tent, stove, sleeping bags, etc) or I might rent one of those little camper vans that has everything you need to stay in it, except for a toilet/shower. I don't have 4wd, unfortunately. I'm a REI member and can rent most of what we need cheaply, but a small camper van might make more senses and provide more freedom if we have to just pull off the side of the road somewhere.

Dispersed car/camping facility I think would be safest, and I'll note and remember that Tin Can's and Drew's backyards are full :p

Again, I'm thinking of heading into the mountains/forests/coasts away from other people. If there are a bunch of people there, we go somewhere else.

Greg - point taken, but we plan to be far away from other people. The only one at risk will be myself. We'll wait for about a week after he gets home before going anywhere, and I might go ahead and schedule a test for him a few days after he gets back, just to be sure.

Drew - that seems to be my impression as well, things are changing from week to week and we simply have to stay informed. We were originally planning on going to Alaska (getting tested before leaving, if you're healthy on entry you can enjoy your trip, if you have covid-19 it's a 14-day self quarantine), but they've seen a spike in cases and clamped down hard on visitors. Fair enough, I would have advised them to do the same in the same situation.

Since we're in CA, I was planning on staying in-state, but then saw how Zion/Grand Canyon looked doable from a mileage perspective. Seems like a nice triangle, LA - Zion - Big Sur. Probably we will stay in CA. I've been checking a number of State Parks and they're open, but all full. Not a single space available.

I plan on us bringing most if not all of our own food, so the only real contact with civilization will be to use a bathroom, possibly a shower. Wear a mask and wash our hands?

Keep the suggestions coming, these are great! Thank you all for the ideas and tips!

Drew Wiley
15-Jul-2020, 20:14
Zion, Grand Can, and Four Corners area are far more visitable in the Fall. Far less people, far less heat, much better color. The 395 corridor will itself be hot. But since it's right at the foot of the east side of the Sierra, which increases in elevation the further south you go, until you run into the Mojave Desert south of Lone Pine, you just have to drive uphill. But since that's where the cooler campsites are, you'll have some competition for campsite spaces. Once you're south of the Virginia Lakes area, most higher camping areas are formally restricted by reservation. But there is almost no restriction on day hiking. Other than Little Lakes Valley and the Mt Whitney trail, you're not going to have a lot of company. Some, so keep a mask handy if you pass in close proximity. Ordinarily I just pull off the trail a little ways and let others pass. Take a few days to car camp at high altitude and walk around, so that when you start more serious day hikes, you'll be acclimated. And one more point that can genuinely be a life and death decision even for a casual day hike in the mountains. Always, always, always have a rain parka and warm sweater in your daypack. The weather can change remarkably fast at high altitude, any time of year. It can be 70 degrees under an unblemished blue sky, and twenty minutes later black and throwing lightning all over the place, or even snowing. Not exaggerating. I've seen it happen just like that hundreds of times. It's almost predictable in Sierra late summer afternoons. But with a little common sense, and staying off high ridges or bare spots when the lightning begins, it's wonderful side show I look forward to every year, and can involve some spectacular cloud activity. If seeking shelter around timberline, just look around you. If the scattered pines and junipers show burn scars, well, maybe not the best place to stand around! ... Then on the opposite side of Owens Valley you have the White Mtns with a road running along the crest to the Bristlecone Pine Forest, mostly unpaved, but decently graded. There is a large campground called Grandview just off the still paved portion, itself unpaved and waterless, but with ample no-reservation sites and indeed a grand panoramic view of the highest portion of the Sierra Crest across the Owens Valley. This is actually the highest of the Great Basin ranges, so a very different personality from the high Sierras, but nearby and quite photogenic in its own right.

Merg Ross
15-Jul-2020, 21:49
My suggestion would be to stay within California, heading as far north as possible. For example, consider the area around Lassen Volcanic National Park. There are considerations other than the virus though; presently, backcountry camping is closed due to black bears, and Manzanita Lake closed due to otter danger. However, the general area does have much to explore, so maybe take a look.

395, mentioned by John, has been a favorite of mine since the 1950's. But the days of pulling off at nightfall and setting up camp are gone. I'm sure with a little research you'll have a fine trip, with many stories to share. Check back!

Drew Wiley
16-Jul-2020, 09:39
That NE corner of the State has almost no viral problems so far, and has plenty to see. It's also adjacent to the even quieter Oregon desert, but is hotter than one might expect in summer. I rarely visit there because the volcanic dust in many areas is high in silica, and causes me nasal irritation and eventually nosebleeds. Walking on it is also a lot more work than solid Sierra granite, unless you're around Mammoth Mtn where pumice dust abounds too. The Lassen area is popular with fishermen, obviously including otters! Getting there quick, up Hwy 5 in summer, is an oven ordeal in itself. One could take Hwy 395 all the way north, but it's an infamously dangerous highway north of Reno, with lots of truck traffic. I've never even checked out the Warner Wilderness above Goose Lake, but once again, my nose doesn't like the dust and itchy blooming rabbitbrush that comes with the territory. If one does cross into the southern Oregon Desert around Burns, quite a long drive, there is the remarkable Lake Malheur (of recent infamy when the Bundy clan attempted to claim squatters rights over it), and even more remarkable long Steen's Mountain, where you drive along the summit ridge and look down on stunning canyons carved in the only three places glaciers existed in the Great Basin (Nevada's Ruby Mtns and Wheeler Pk being the other two). It's nice up there, but everything below will be hot; toward the south it even resembles looking down upon Death Valley. My nephew sometimes takes Geology grad students up there to study the unique terrain. But it's big wide-open 8x10 country in my opinion, rather than roll film fodder. Worth seeing, regardless. Few people even know it exists.

Cameron Cornell
17-Jul-2020, 06:50

I don’t want this to hijack this thread, but it’s so closely related that it hardly warrants a thread of its own. I have a little pandemic road trip coming up across the western states and I’m just beginning to look for places to park.

My mother, who lives in Oklahoma, has a 2013 Class-C Lazy Daze RV that she wants me to sell for her on the West Coast (she’s convinced she’ll get a better price). My 22 year-old son is moving from Oklahoma to Washington State. The confluence of these two events has conjured this road trip from Oklahoma to Washington State in this RV with my son following in his car. We depart Oklahoma on August 8 and we’re planning to take nine or ten days to make the journey. I’m not sure yet where we’re going to stop- I’m just beginning to sketch that out- but the RV parks on the attached picture show the route that we plan to follow anyway. It will take us through Santa Fe, across Arizona, up to Ely, NV so we can cross Highway 50 (one of my favorites) to Reno, and then on up 395 into Oregon, then across to the Oregon coast, and then home to Bellingham. I’m only going to bring medium format cameras (Hasselblad, Sputnik stereoscopic, Holga stereoscopic, Diana).

We’re not going to bother trying to go off into the wilderness or off the grid or anything. We’re going to stay in RV parks or at least places that allow us to park without breaking any laws. I’m just looking forward to hanging around with him in the campgrounds in the evenings, eating meals together and talking. We’ll have time to stay a few nights anywhere we want along the way and do some exploring on foot or in his car. The RV will allow us to be self-contained and keep our contact down to gas stations and grocery stores, all masked and gloved up. We have no hard deadline for our arrival.

I’ve driven through all of the lower 48 states and I’ve been on most all the roads on this route, but I’m certainly no expert on these areas. If anyone with local knowledge has any thoughts, tips, or insights, especially in this crazy time, I’d appreciate it.

Cameron Cornell
Washington State
analogportraiture.com

John Kasaian
17-Jul-2020, 09:21

I don’t want this to hijack this thread, but it’s so closely related that it hardly warrants a thread of its own. I have a little pandemic road trip coming up across the western states and I’m just beginning to look for places to park.

My mother, who lives in Oklahoma, has a 2013 Class-C Lazy Daze RV that she wants me to sell for her on the West Coast (she’s convinced she’ll get a better price). My 22 year-old son is moving from Oklahoma to Washington State. The confluence of these two events has conjured this road trip from Oklahoma to Washington State in this RV with my son following in his car. We depart Oklahoma on August 8 and we’re planning to take nine or ten days to make the journey. I’m not sure yet where we’re going to stop- I’m just beginning to sketch that out- but the RV parks on the attached picture show the route that we plan to follow anyway. It will take us through Santa Fe, across Arizona, up to Ely, NV so we can cross Highway 50 (one of my favorites) to Reno, and then on up 395 into Oregon, then across to the Oregon coast, and then home to Bellingham. I’m only going to bring medium format cameras (Hasselblad, Sputnik stereoscopic, Holga stereoscopic, Diana).

We’re not going to bother trying to go off into the wilderness or off the grid or anything. We’re going to stay in RV parks or at least places that allow us to park without breaking any laws. I’m just looking forward to hanging around with him in the campgrounds in the evenings, eating meals together and talking. We’ll have time to stay a few nights anywhere we want along the way and do some exploring on foot or in his car. The RV will allow us to be self-contained and keep our contact down to gas stations and grocery stores, all masked and gloved up. We have no hard deadline for our arrival.

I’ve driven through all of the lower 48 states and I’ve been on most all the roads on this route, but I’m certainly no expert on these areas. If anyone with local knowledge has any thoughts, tips, or insights, especially in this crazy time, I’d appreciate it.

Cameron Cornell
Washington State
analogportraiture.com

IIRC Walmart allows RV'ers to overnight. It might depend on the store manager though. If you have a Costco card, they generally have the best gas prices---Costco has a directory of their stores with pumps.

I don't know what's open in Reno, but the Santa Fe (next door to Harrah's) serves the best Picon Punches I've ever had:o

John Kasaian
18-Jul-2020, 07:50
IIRC Walmart allows RV'ers to overnight. It might depend on the store manager though. If you have a Costco card, they generally have the best gas prices---Costco has a directory of their stores with pumps.

I don't know what's open in Reno, but the Santa Fe (next door to Harrah's) serves the best Picon Punches I've ever had:o

I noticed you're planning a stop in Santa Fe, NM
A loop around The Enchanted Circle( Taos, Eagle Lake, Purgatory) will put you smack in the middle of some mighty fine photogenic country if you can allow a full day for it.

Cameron Cornell
18-Jul-2020, 09:02
Thanks for the tips, John!

John Kasaian
19-Jul-2020, 11:42
Thanks for the tips, John!

Keep in mind that some of the less traveled mountain passes aren't kind to motor homes. They should be signed as such and although warnings used to published on road maps, I haven't seen them notated on current maps from the automobile club.

6x6TLL
19-Jul-2020, 18:53
John,

since you seem to have become the unofficial tour guide for CA, I've since revised my plan.

We'll be meeting an old friend in Bishop, my son wants to see Mammoth/June lake, Owens river, Ancient Bristlecone pineforest and more.

I'm still thinking we may drive up along the coast, and see if we can find something an hour-ish from Big Sur where we can camp, then go there for a day trip or two. He also wants to see San Francisco, so we may just follow the coast to there, but I've warned him we can't be around other people. Worst case we just drive around and look.

Then we could cut inland from the Bay Area and make our way back down along the 395 as you've suggested.

Does this seem realistic?

Are there any open camping places north or south of Big Sur that are open and may still have space?

Vaughn
19-Jul-2020, 19:20
Keep in mind that some of the less traveled mountain passes aren't kind to motor homes. They should be signed as such and although warnings used to published on road maps, I haven't seen them notated on current maps from the automobile club.

I followed a semi-truck over Sonora Pass -- well, I pulled over and took a nap until I figured he was up and over the Pass.

Pretty busy up here in Northern CA...tourists coming to an area that recreation can be done keeping good distancing with some discretion. Lot of the State Parks Campgrounds are still closed, so that puts more pressure on private RV campgrounds and such. And a lot of locals rediscovering their home turf. I went backpacking over the 4th of July weekend (Th thru Monday) in Redwood National Park. Saw two groups of 3 people and 4 people on my hike up Redwood Creek, but once past them I saw no one else until two friends joined me (coming from a different direction) halfway through. Actually, this is not much different from the pre-Covid19 days...and easier. Reservations are online instead of having to be at the Visitor Center (closed) at 9am on the day one wants to hike in.

I am not inclined to travel right now, but I have a VW Camper and tend to camp in odd out-of-the-way places...with a view. Many dirt roads leading off are fine...keeping an eye on the weather and changing road conditions. The Eurovan is not quite the off-roader as the old air-cooled, but does well. I love Hwy 50 thru Nevada for that.

Merg Ross
19-Jul-2020, 20:19
Since you have mentioned San Francisco, if you have time (2 hours) to venture north along the coast, I would suggest you check out Salt Point State Park. Not only is there camping (which may be closed) there is parking for RV's. Check out the park website; I think you will enjoy the drive and Salt Point itself.

Vaughn
19-Jul-2020, 22:46
There is/was a private campground just south (3 or so miles) of Salt Point on the bluffs overlooking the Pacific. It has been a few years since I camped there (25 to 30). Salt Point is a nice bit of coastline.

John Kasaian
19-Jul-2020, 22:48
John,

since you seem to have become the unofficial tour guide for CA, I've since revised my plan.

We'll be meeting an old friend in Bishop, my son wants to see Mammoth/June lake, Owens river, Ancient Bristlecone pineforest and more.

I'm still thinking we may drive up along the coast, and see if we can find something an hour-ish from Big Sur where we can camp, then go there for a day trip or two. He also wants to see San Francisco, so we may just follow the coast to there, but I've warned him we can't be around other people. Worst case we just drive around and look.

Then we could cut inland from the Bay Area and make our way back down along the 395 as you've suggested.

Does this seem realistic?

Are there any open camping places north or south of Big Sur that are open and may still have space?

Sure it's realistic if the State Parks reopen this year. All it takes is time & gas. And the camp grounds have to be open. Most are still closed but who knows what the future holds? As far as camping in Big Sur finding open camp grounds, especially with few people, will be the big issue. There isn't any dispersed camping I know of in Big Sur or anywhere along the central coast however inland a ways at Santa Lucia Memorial Park I think they allow dispersed camping, but it gets really hot there in the summertime! You might be able to find a place at Ponderosa Camp Ground on the Nacimiento-Ferguson Road which is a windy, back way into Big Sur from 101
Another spot to check might be Oso de Oro State Park, South of Morro Bay. It's a huge camp ground I've never seen full up, on the sand dunes---an easy walk to the beach

A typically crowded Big Sur camp ground that is incredibly beautiful is Lime Kiln but sometimes spaces open up due to cancellations. If you can find one across the creek at the base of the Highway Bridge the camp sites are spread out pretty far apart though(RV sites 1 & 3, IIRC.)
Far apart enough for you? Check out the reservations map at the California State Parks website for Lime Kiln to see. Maybe save this one for healthier times.

The California State Parks have a website where you can check for openings and make reservations
https://www.parks.ca.gov/ParkIndex
Type in the name of the campground and click on Brochures for a link to camp ground maps.

Vaughn
20-Jul-2020, 10:39
There is/was a private campground just south (3 or so miles) of Salt Point on the bluffs overlooking the Pacific. It has been a few years since I camped there (25 to 30). Salt Point is a nice bit of coastline.

The campground is Ocean Cove...they are open, but they do not take reservations.

https://www.oceancove.org/

Drew Wiley
20-Jul-2020, 13:25
That private campground is ordinary stuffed wall to wall with tents and RV's - not a good situation in this virus climate. It's very popular with abalone divers; but I think the abalone season was cancelled this year. Salt Point itself is the uncrowded alternative to Pt Lobos further south. But it can indeed be salty with a lot of surf spray depending on wind conditions. But if you take a trip to the east side of the Sierra instead and do stop in Mammoth, make sure you drive all the way to the top of the pass to the overlook. Mammoth itself is rather developed, as is June Lake - both are ski resorts. Trying to do Big Sur then SF then over a high pass to 395 is doable, but in a motorhome?
Hope you don't mind having ketchup bottles and shoes thrown at you. Even though traffic is way way down compared to normal, there's almost no place to park a motorhome in SF, and they're darn slow on either winding sections of Hwy 1 or mountain passes. As usual, I'll just give my predictable advice to spend quality time with fewer areas rather than attempting a bunch of crowded "must see" places, when there are a great many equally impressive places without the herds.

Vaughn
20-Jul-2020, 15:28
I have seen full sized motorhome scrap both ends at once on one of the more northern Hwy 1 curves! One of the more interesting bicycle rides I have done was from Jenner north to Salt Point. The traffic was bad enough, but the wind was howling from the north. As a side wind, I had to lean me and bike way over to the left to counter the wind -- but had to careful not to fall over if a car passed and blocked the wind. Not a relaxing ride, but it was a long time ago.

6x6TLL
20-Jul-2020, 15:35
Hi Drew,

as I mentioned earlier, this is still in the planning phase. If it's super crowded, we'll go elsewhere, and nothing is finalized yet.

I don't own a motor home, but was planning on renting a camper van, something on the smaller side and more or less like a big SUV or van.

I don't know the area, why/where/who would be throwing shoes and katsup bottles at me?!? Sounds like a strange tradition.

Looking at the map, it seemed to me we could drive up PCH and find a place on the way for the first night, then somewhere around SF for the second, before heading over to Mammoth/June Lakes area and spend most of our time on 395 coming back down towards LA. If it were me I'd just drive up and down 395, but my son has been asking to see SF since he moved here to CA last year. So I figure if we do a loop, at least we can swing by the city and have a look. If it turns out to be too much of a hassle, we'll just go up the 395 and spend more time exploring around there, and save SF for another time.

Right now the plan is to take 7 days, but that might change. 3 days up, 4 days back.

That private campground is ordinary stuffed wall to wall with tents and RV's - not a good situation in this virus climate. It's very popular with abalone divers; but I think the abalone season was cancelled this year. Salt Point itself is the uncrowded alternative to Pt Lobos further south. But it can indeed be salty with a lot of surf spray depending on wind conditions. But if you take a trip to the east side of the Sierra instead and do stop in Mammoth, make sure you drive all the way to the top of the pass to the overlook. Mammoth itself is rather developed, as is June Lake - both are ski resorts. Trying to do Big Sur then SF then over a high pass to 395 is doable, but in a motorhome?
Hope you don't mind having ketchup bottles and shoes thrown at you. Even though traffic is way way down compared to normal, there's almost no place to park a motorhome in SF, and they're darn slow on either winding sections of Hwy 1 or mountain passes. As usual, I'll just give my predictable advice to spend quality time with fewer areas rather than attempting a bunch of crowded "must see" places, when there are a great many equally impressive places without the herds.

Greg
20-Jul-2020, 15:53
I don't own a motor home, but was planning on renting a camper van, something on the smaller side and more or less like a big SUV or van.

I'd seriously look into renting a Rialta. Small RV with all the amenities of a medium to large sized RV. No duals on the back axle so normal tolls. Based on a VW Eurovan modified by Winnebago. Ours got 20 mpg. Going through narrow city streets or even a drive thru no problem. You don't even need a backup camera to back it into a parking space. https://www.poptopheaven.com/ a good place to start.

Drew Wiley
20-Jul-2020, 16:38
All of that in a single week? How are you going to find quality photography time? I'd pick one or the other; but that's me. I live on SF Bay, and the City of SF itself is not very open at the moment. I go to Marin County and Pt Reyes frequently, but there's no place to camp there this year due to health restrictions. And I often talk to my sister in the Monterey area, and things can get tense around there about too many out-of-towners; there simply isn't the public wiggle room that one finds in the Sierras or adjacent desert. If you want to get to the classic older upper stands of bristlecones at the end of the road, that is a slower drive than you might think, and you'd have to devote an entire day to it. Well worth it, however. From Bishop you can go either that direction or directly uphill to beautiful Sabrina Lake etc (the South Lk road is being worked on, so not an ideal fork to take this year). As 395 rises, you have Rock Creek and easy walking into Little Lakes Valley, though it's popular and parking can become problematic. Convict Lake is a photogenic option just ten minutes off 395 shortly before Mammoth, with giant cliffs in the background. Past Mammoth you have Mono Lk (nice morning and evening, hot mid-day), and above the road to Tioga Pass, worth driving up, even if you don't cross over Tioga Pass into Yosemite Park itself. Virginia Lakes slightly further north are nice, and you can stairstep hike uphill to more lovely lakes if you have enough time. There is quite a bit of slightly off-road camping opportunity around Virginia Lakes if you look carefully, on decent enough side roads to get an RV onto. ... Never mind the ketchup bottle and boot comment; but I have seen that kind of thing happen when slow-moving vehicles finally pulled over on mtn roads, including one especially messy if humorous incident when over forty cars were stuck behind a slow car for seemingly an endless amount of time. But as a kid we'd drive an overloaded hay truck just 2 mph up an especially steep one-lane mountain pass with no turnouts at all, back to the pack station corral. I was a skinny little teenager; but three of the cowboys themselves were almost 300 lbs apiece, so not exactly the types anyone in their right mind would throw a bottle at.

Thad Gerheim
20-Jul-2020, 20:31
These campers are what the stylish are using here. https://mercedessprinterrvrentals.com/mercedes-sprinter-rental-fleet/why-rent-a-mercedes-sprinter-campervan/

Drew Wiley
21-Jul-2020, 10:09
Not only are the "stylish" using them, but now the majority of contractors and servicemen, and most delivery services, including Amazon. There are massive distribution warehouses along the Bay here with hundreds of Sprinters at a time being loaded. I have a friend that converted one into a mobile ski lodge, replete with sleeping for four, full kitchen with instant hot water, shower and bathroom, and even a film loading and development closet that folds up into something else when not in use, plus a shooting platform on the roof. I'm too unstylish for something like that, and prefer a basic beat-up 4WD truck with shell.

6x6TLL
22-Jul-2020, 08:58
Probably won't do all of that in a single week. Looks like it will be up the 395 and back down the 395, there are enough places to see and things to do. Was still considering a detour to see the Sequoias, but even that seems a bit too far. I do want to be able to spend time and get a good feeling for the places we'll visit, and hopefully get some good images too.

Are bugs an issue along the 395 between LA and Bishop? Mosquitoes, chiggers, etc? I notice that none of the vans I've looked at have any sort of screen or cloth to leave the windows down but keep bugs out.

I suppose a tent would have that, so we could always sleep in a tent to keep the bugs away. Need to head to REI today anyway to pick up a few things.

Merg Ross
22-Jul-2020, 09:40
Sounds like an excellent plan!

Perhaps mentioned, but take a look at the Alabama Hills outside Lone Pine. Good camping, much to photograph.

https://www.campendium.com/alabama-hills-recreation-area

John Kasaian
22-Jul-2020, 11:28
Probably won't do all of that in a single week. Looks like it will be up the 395 and back down the 395, there are enough places to see and things to do. Was still considering a detour to see the Sequoias, but even that seems a bit too far. I do want to be able to spend time and get a good feeling for the places we'll visit, and hopefully get some good images too.

Are bugs an issue along the 395 between LA and Bishop? Mosquitoes, chiggers, etc? I notice that none of the vans I've looked at have any sort of screen or cloth to leave the windows down but keep bugs out.

I suppose a tent would have that, so we could always sleep in a tent to keep the bugs away. Need to head to REI today anyway to pick up a few things.

It's drying up pretty quickly on the Western slope however the Eastern side had a brush with the monsoons this week, so I can't say for certain as the skeeter situation depends a lot on standing water, but generally the later in the summer the less skeeters you'll encounter. I'd still bring 100% Deet, Avon Skin So Soft or garlic tablets just in case.

Leszek Vogt
22-Jul-2020, 14:26
Let me add to this frey. Been camping the last couple of months and some places were open, while other spots were
promised to be open....most were on 24/7 reservations made several moths prior. The camp outside of Bristlecone Forest was to open in a week or two....instead slapping some sort of orange fence across the road (as no entry) they kept the gate open and there was this tiny lettering piece of paper on the board threatening anyone who camped with a $5000 fine. There was that. If I were you, I'd look into BLM campgrounds for the area that you wish to be in. For instance, I stayed (no reservation) at Horton Creek, which also allowed me to use my natl pk senior pass....and the actual cost was $4.00/night....so not shabby to be this close to Bristlecone.

You might want to check Montana de Oro (as John indicated) on Centrl Coast. If you veer off to Great Basin Nat PK, you could camp at no cost at BLM site called Sacramento Pass (a crest) between the park and Ely, NV.....that is what I was forced to do, since all the sites were either reserved or taken....ha, same story just about every morning. The other campgrounds in that park were still closed. Yellowstone & Tetons, at least when I was there, all the campgrounds were closed and the few that were open nearby, were usually booked up fast.

Overall, try making reservation for a particular place....and good luck. Otherwise you may have to wing it or have some sort of plan B. Without saying, people have this pent up energy to get out of the 4-walls thing (virus), also there is a Summer out there and people are vacationing and many are unable to go elsewhere (outside the country).....so there is no wonder that RV's, trailers and tents are being used in record numbers. I've read an article on RV rentals some months ago and even then the use (rental or new) were 6-fold.

I'd add, that you may want to try Jalama Bch (Santa Barbara County PK), but most likely you may need reservations.

Les

Drew Wiley
22-Jul-2020, 18:47
When was that, Les? Casual camping near the bristlecone forest has always been banned, along with potential serious fines, due to the risk of tree theft or vandalism (don't be cynical; I know of a famous non-LF photographer who sawed off a limb of the Methuselah Tree and kept it on his fireplace mantle). The opening of the official Grandview campsite lower down was delayed just like all other FS campgrounds (it's still closed!), while those past the groves require 4WD and are always iffy early season. There are many many casual camping opportunities further into Nevada itself. But given tonight's news release that the central Calif coast is suddenly getting an alarming virus spike, there may well be a resumption of very strict rules again. The rules still in place started getting ignored as people from inland started flooding to places like Santa Cruz along with holiday beach party types. And now the effect is showing. It's considerably better around here further north. I just drove past Stinson Beach this afternoon following a camera hike up Mt Tam, and people were very well spaced, and masks were routine on everyone I personally encountered on the hill itself, including a number of German tourists. But I doubt there is any RV camping available in the whole of Marin County at this time, and that fact might apply to much of the coast further south too. Another vacation option going wild at the moment are boat sales around our river delta, which has plenty of room for more boats in general, but not for the inevitable accident rate increase from inexperienced boaters.

Leszek Vogt
22-Jul-2020, 20:44
When was that, Les? Casual camping near the bristlecone forest has always been banned, along with potential serious fines, due to the risk of tree theft or vandalism (don't be cynical; I know of a famous non-LF photographer who sawed off a limb of the Methuselah Tree and kept it on his fireplace mantle). The opening of the official campsite lower down was delayed just like all other FS campgrounds, while those past the grove require 4WD and are always iffy early season. There are many many casual camping opportunities further into Nevada itself. But given tonight's news release that the central Calif coast is suddenly getting an alarming virus spike, there may well be a resumption of very strict rules again. The rules still in place started getting ignored as people from inland started flooding to places like Santa Cruz along with holiday beach party types. And now the effect is showing. It's considerably better around here further north. I just drove past Stinson Beach this afternoon following a camera hike up Mt Tam, and people were very well spaced, and masks were routine on everyone I personally encountered on the hill itself, including a number of German tourists. But I doubt there is any RV camping available in the whole of Marin County at this time, and that fact might apply to much of the coast further south too. Another vacation option going wild at the moment are boat sales around our river delta, which has plenty of room for more boats in general, but not for the inevitable accident rate increase from inexperienced boaters.

Drew, I only know camping. If you had a chance to read what I wrote (the camp outside of Brist.....).
There was nothing implied about "casual camping"? The campground is few miles away from the B. Forest and it was not open, tho the gate was....but I'm repeating myself.

Had to look up dates via receipts:

6/6/20 Cody, WY (KOA)
6/7/20 Yellowstone, 6/8 Jackson-Tetons, 6/8-9 Moran, WY > it snowed & was cold....left the area 6/10
6/11/20 Ely, NV
6/12-13 Bishop, CA
6/15 to 6/19 Camping Jalama Beach for a week (near Lompoc, CA)....reservations were made 6 months prior.

Les

rorye
23-Jul-2020, 08:32
I found Allstays' Camp & Tent to be a useful app when looking for campsites.
I actually found a one space campsite in OR, I would never have found it otherwise.

Drew Wiley
23-Jul-2020, 09:51
Sorry for the confusion, Les. I've just never considered anything like an RV Park or KOA etc to constitute "camping". I'm not trying to be outdoor snobby; I've just never done anything resembling that, and it's not part of my vocabulary, though I've obviously passed that kind of facility many times on highways.

6x6TLL
2-Aug-2020, 18:14
Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions and input to my trip.

My son and I had an amazing time, and John was right, there was more than enough to see along the 395. It was not hard at all to find places to camp far away from others (most of the open campgrounds were full, we ended up finding places off the main areas that allowed camping and had no or almost no other people around).

Some of the highlights were Alabama Hills, Mt. Whitney, Hot Creek, Bishop, Convict Lake, Devil's Postpile/Mammoth, Cottonwood Lakes, Mono Lake, White Mountains and Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest.

I took a few sheets each day, hope to get them developed in the coming week.

One big takeaway for me is that I need a wide angle lens. 150mm is the widest I have on 4x5 and it simply couldn't capture what I was seeing. Will keep an eye out for a 90mm, maybe even a 75mm at some point later.

Drew Wiley
3-Aug-2020, 14:54
Glad it worked out for you. It's remarkable how differently we see things. I can think of only two times in my entire life I have used a wide angle lens on 4x5 in the Sierra. For me, "short" means a 180. But I've had friends along that don't even own a long lens. I don't know how much you explored Hot Creek, but to aboriginal Indians it was Fort Knox. There is an abundance of sizable very high quality obsidian cobbles along the streambed which were gathered there well back into the last several millennia of the Ice Age, and then traded far and wide. It is also home to monster rainbow trout since they can feed in the warm water all year long (catch and release fly fishing only). Swimming in the big pool is a bit tricky. It's popular with Mammoth skiers in winter. You have to find just the right spot, or you either get chilled by the ice melt or scalded with water boiling up from the bottom of the creek.

John Kasaian
4-Aug-2020, 06:30
Glad to hear you had a good time with your son! That'll be a special memory to treasure.

Jim Noel
13-Apr-2022, 12:30
If you belong to AAA, get a Camping Guide for Western States

John Layton
13-Apr-2022, 13:29
Gosh, Chif...all the good places :confused: Maybe you should try camping! :rolleyes:

DanteALG
18-Apr-2022, 00:09
I won't say exactly how it is in the west, but I would advise you to try the northern direction in this regard. We have been to https://midwestcamping.org/index.php/2022/01/24/camping-in-northern-illinois/ recently and were very pleased. I am not a fan of nature, fishing, I want to always stay in my comfort zone near traders and cryptocurrency charts. But it's something that helps me get away from the hustle and bustle a bit and understand the meaning of life. It's just beautiful, just interesting to look at uninhabited places, to be reminded of subtle matters...

Drew Wiley
19-Apr-2022, 15:17
Real "Camping" is where you can't get cell phone reception at all, and where "crypto-currency" is replaced by "cryo-currency" fishing through ice floes. Forty thousand years of Ice Age camping experience can't be wrong. It got us to where we are today, well, if you don't mind being picked off prematurely by a cave bear or saber-toothed cat. But stay in the city, and you get taken out even sooner if you drive past a street gang melee. So might as well enjoy some scenery instead.

John Kasaian
19-Apr-2022, 18:46
For me a good camping trip isn't so much about what you take camping as much as it is what you leave behind at home or work.

kiaramichigan
8-Jul-2022, 09:27
Australia is a great place to go camping! I've gotten so bored of going on camping trips in the US that I can't hear about it anymore. I have been camping from a very young age because it's one of my dad's greatest hobbies, so, inevitably, it became my favorite thing to do as well. Taking into consideration that I have been camping for over twenty years about 30 times a year, you can realize that I have been to all of the good camping sites in the US. However, I was amazed by how great Australia is for camping. I met some guys from a few hotels near me (https://www.novotelsurfersparadise.com.au), and they told me all about the best spots, such as Coffs Harbour or Millaa Millaa.

Drew Wiley
9-Jul-2022, 11:17
Yep. Right here on the West Coast we have the same ocean as Australia. It's just a swim away. We even have marsupials here. I caught a baby possum a few days ago; and my wife took it to the County wildlife shelter. They're easy to raise and release; but we already have too many pets.

neil poulsen
9-Jul-2022, 14:14
California . . . blah, blah, blah. :)

I have to put a word in for the Oregon west coast. It's beautiful this time of year, from Bandon in the sourth, up to Astoria at the northern tip. Lots of beautiful, photogenic beaches, widespread dunes at Florence, very neat coastal towns with classic harbors and classic boats, etc. Light houses along the way. Old, concrete, artillery forts at the northern end make for excellent photographic compositions.

Unlike California when I lived there, Oregon beaches are open. They can't be roped off as private property. (Maybe that's changed in Ca?) There are campgrounds all the way up the coast. In Oregon, the beauty is spread out, and not concentrated in just a few, well-known areas. So, I have a hunch camp grounds might be more available.

One can sure see and photograph a lot during a week's travel up the Oregon coast.

Having lived in California for a few years, I can agree there are also many beautiful places to photograph. But, the possibilities in Oregon shouldn't be overlooked. (Except along Oregon coastal cliffs, gazing out into the beautiful, serene Pacific Ocean, with nary an oil rig in view.)

One cautionary note, plan your vacation outside of wildfire season. Smoke filled skies can ruin a photographic vacation. They can be really bad in the northern half of California. They can also affect the southern portion of Oregon.

Drew Wiley
9-Jul-2022, 15:04
Don't lecture me about Oregon, Neil. I spent summers with my Grandmother in old growth forest along the coast at a time when there were far less people on the beaches than now. Her father pioneered the Tillamook area after the Civil War ended (minus an arm due to a cannon ball); then her second husband, my father's stepfather, engineered much of the cheese factory. My mother's side pioneered part of the Willamette Valley; and until I recently deeded it over to a nephew, I owned the oldest cemetery in Oregon. My great-grandmother was the first woman to climb Mt Hood, although certain others had equal claim because they climbed it together. My Grandpa had a summer cottage at Seal Beach and was quite an agate collector. But ya sure can't blame Calif for your own forest fires; and they haven't all been all in the south of Oregon. Certain parts of Oregon have some of the worst logging practices in the country, and that bears at least part of the blame. Artificial monocultures don't fare well in droughts.

But yeah, I read ya. I'd probably be heading up that way right now, and even further to the North Cascades, if the price of gas wasn't so insane. Matter of fact, I have an intricate foliage 8x10 from the Columbia Gorge in one of my color enlargers right now. And I'm about to look for another 8x10 color shot I haven't printed yet, taken up along Hummingbird Ridge above the Hood River Valley, though not as far up as the glacier that poor fellow fell on last week when his ice axe broke. My wife grew up in Portland, and an uncle of mine was Mayor of Beaverton for a long time, but retired in Banks for sake of farming, though he kept 500 acres in Tillamook as well.

So I guess I have just as much Oregon DNA in me as anyone. My father got horrible eyestrain headaches from that Portland overcast, so moved to the Sierras. I have the same issue, so am a lot more comfortable with our soft veiling coastal fog here on the CA coast than in Portland. My nephew plans to move to their house in Bend below the ski resort once their younger son starts college next year; but they plan to keep a house in Portland too. I like the more desolate desert areas of Eastern Oregon. Bend itself is just too touristy these days. That dry volcanic soil gives me nosebleeds anyway. It's not so bad up on the hill where it's lusher.

jnantz
9-Jul-2022, 18:25
Does Western South Dakota count? Go to Sylvan Lake, it's very nice. Further east is rolling prairie .. can't be nicer than that...

Robert Opheim
13-Jul-2022, 15:16
Wow Drew, my Great Grandfather bought property from Senator Maxwell just south of Maxwell Point - maybe 15 acres, about in 1890. They were not the early settlers that your family was though. They would travel to the coast down the Wilson River Road by carriage along with other families and camp along the way. Each family would come to their turnoff and go their separate way. In the 1889-1894 period they lived in Oregon City - later Forest Grove. My grandfather and his two brothers went to some school in Tillamook - I have a photograph that my great grandfather took of their class. He was active in the summers at the beach and his business name was Netart's Photo, or his name Elisee Meresse. He worked with whole plate glass negatives - although I did see one print of his a contact albumen prints of the Adams sisters in Garabaldi (at the Museum in Tillamook) that was 8x10 inches. He also worked with sterreo images.

Drew Wiley
13-Jul-2022, 17:31
Wilson River? I remember that. The family property was on the Kilchis River, and its dense old growth forest escaped the infamous Tillamook Burn on the 1920's. The salmon were so dense one could almost walk across the river on them. Lots of steelhead and smaller bluebelly trout too. Put a line in with a caddis fly larva on it, and pull it right back out with a trout on it every single time. No fishing pole needed, just a bit of line on a willow stick.

You might have seen the Captain Gray mural in the Tillamook post office. My aunt did that under WPA auspices, along with many others all over the county. The Portland Museum has one of her famous oil paintings, which was purchased by the Tate Museum in London, but never shipped due to German U-boat activity at the time, so ended up there instead. My Great uncle would take me flounder fishing near Netarts, with zero other people on the beach. Another uncle bought property between town and the cheese factory to build a museum dedicated to my aunt, along with my own work. But he suddenly died of a heart attack before work could be started.

Oregon City was more related to the other side of my family. When a wooden plank road was finally built between the Mollala and Mulino area to Oregon City, my grandfather allegedly raced his Stutz Bearcat down that thing at 90mph. His flour mill is now where the Oregon State Historical Society printing press is now housed.

Robert Opheim
7-Jul-2023, 13:42
Drew sorry for the late response to your post - I must not of seen it. Your family has a fascinating history! I am very impressed that your Aunt Lucia Wiley was such a fine painter! The painting of Captain Gray at the Tillamook Post Office is huge!!!! I looked it up on line and I hope the restoration of it in 2017 has gone well. Our families share a lot of history in Oregon. My great grandfather Elissee Meresse was an active photographer. The family immigrated from Northern France in 1889. He had studied art, photography, and college in Paris in the 1870's. They emigrated to Oregon City, with a summer property in Netarts. I have a collection of his full plate albumen prints and a few albumen stereo views of: Oregon City, Netarts, camping on the Wilson River road, vacationers on the beach near Tillamook, and Netarts, and other images. They had three small buildings on the property - I have a ceramic plate with an image of the buildings. He ran a business called "Netarts photo" during the summer at the beach. While he was also actively photographing in Oregon City. They moved to Forrest Grove in the 1890's where he taught Art and French at Tualitin Academy, and Pacific College (now Pacific University). At this time he is said to also to run a photographic studio in Forest Grove with his son Frank Meresse. The cabin at Netarts Beach (Now Oceanside) was burned down and never re-built.