PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Alaris sells off paper and chemical businesses

Peter De Smidt
13-Jul-2020, 16:45
https://www.dpreview.com/news/1876649850/report-kodak-alaris-has-sold-off-its-paper-and-chemical-division-to-its-largest-chinese-distributor

Bob Salomon
13-Jul-2020, 16:55
Should surprise those who try or don’t by Chinese goods.

Tin Can
13-Jul-2020, 17:01
Nope, not surprised at all

Should surprise those who try or don’t by Chinese goods.

ghostcount
13-Jul-2020, 18:39
https://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/products/6875/6875429_sa.jpg

Jody_S
13-Jul-2020, 18:49
As far as I'm concerned, this is good news. The Chinese company didn't buy this unless they planned to keep production going, and they were already doing the manufacturing. They're not doing this to bury the product under mismanagement and bad marketing. I take this to mean their products will be available for at least the next 20 years, and I'm not personally concerned about after that.

Willie
14-Jul-2020, 07:07
Bring back B&W Enlarging papers and maybe even AZO?

Peter De Smidt
14-Jul-2020, 08:04
It's too early to tell whether this is good or bad news. Let's hope for good!

Alan Klein
14-Jul-2020, 08:19
I'm more concerned about Alaris's future in keeping Kodak film making going.

Oren Grad
14-Jul-2020, 09:14
I'm more concerned about Alaris's future in keeping Kodak film making going.

Yes. So far as I can tell, the business that is being sold is primarily large-roll color print paper and associated chemicals sold to photo-finishers, and has nothing to do with the B&W and color film produced by Eastman Kodak in Rochester and marketed by Kodak Alaris. But even after this sale, the viability of the remaining Kodak Alaris portfolio under the current business structure remains uncertain. I wouldn't be surprised to see further reorganization.

Mark Sampson
14-Jul-2020, 09:16
Reviving Kodak's b/w papers is an impossible dream, I think. After EK ran that business into the ground in the early 2000s, they tore down their paper mill c.2006. The engineers and technicians who knew how to make the papers (a vital part of the process) are long gone or retired. So even if the Chinese company wants to bring back "Kodak" papers, they won't be the same as the Rochester products. Although they might be quite good.
And as for AZO, I wonder if there will be any more Lodima paper available? That was a labor of love by Michael and Paula... since Michael's passing she may have other things to do. And I can't imagine that their profit margin was very great at any time.

Tin Can
14-Jul-2020, 10:23
One reason I am moving to alt printing

The Bell Tolls

koraks
15-Jul-2020, 02:41
Bring back B&W Enlarging papers and maybe even AZO?
I'd be happy already if there is a future for Endura color paper. Much more critical than the B&W situation; for B&W, we have several viable options. For color, there's just two, and lately it's become much more challenging to get Endura here in Europe.

John Layton
15-Jul-2020, 05:11
Once again...thank goodness for Ilford - but oh, how my heart did palpitate when they'd closed shop...so very thankful that this was temporary!

Paul Ron
15-Jul-2020, 06:23
my concern is quality control of chineese products as we see is so poor with so many of their other exports.

thank goodness for illford!

Tin Can
15-Jul-2020, 06:34
We will miss the many high quality imports soon

no person is an island

Drew Wiley
15-Jul-2020, 13:00
Even if they hypothetically bought out the color and b&w film selection most of us rely on, it doesn't necessarily mean the domestic mfg of these would change, just who is bagging the profits. Anytime there's a buyout it's a roll of the dice. American vulture capitalists are among the worst when it comes to slash n' burn to domestic manufacturing, and are the ones most likely to downright outsource it. Bringing foreign capital into the equation might be a good thing indeed. And there are real bargains to be had here for foreign investors wishing to diversify their own portfolio. Otherwise, there's a wise kind of insurance available called a freezer that can provide a couple more decades of shooting if necessary. Kodak fumbled the ball with black and white paper long ago; it's not coming back. Their RA4 paper still has a strong following; but I personally use Fuji, which has an even bigger selection.