PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Camera Musing

Ari
10-Jul-2020, 12:00
Hey everyone,
Currently using a Kodak 2D 8x10, and it's gotten a lot of respect here because it's sturdy and does the job without advertising it.
Being a wood camera, it lacks any real precision, but it's been great for regular 8x10 work, and now that I've started shooting wet plate, I respect it even more.
One thing I can't really do with the 2D is architectural stuff, which is a hobby of mine within my regular work of shooting portraits.

My ideal camera is the Arca Swiss Misura 8x10. It has the right amount of portability and easy modularity, not to mention a high degree of precision, that I like.
It would be a great architectural camera, but I'm not sure how much weight the front standard will support.
And I have not tried it or used it before, in case anyone was wondering. This is speculative right now.

I'm looking for a precision 8x10 for hobby architectural work, and more serious portrait work, with generous helpings of wet plate work as that advances.
I've considered getting a Toyo 810M again, but it always felt much heavier than its advertised 14-15 pounds.

I'm not worried about getting the camera stained with silver, it'd be a lifetime investment if I did get an Arca.
I guess I'm just wondering if this camera checks all the boxes for me, or if there may be other camera that can be as versatile, maybe at a lower price.

Just thinking out loud here, feel free to add your $0.02 or ignore my post entirely.
Thanks!

Mark Sawyer
10-Jul-2020, 12:25
The most important movement for architecture is front rise/fall, but everyone has their own style of using movements. Monorails generally have the most all-around movements and probably have the most technical "precision".

But the Burk & James Commercial View has lots of every movement there is, locks down pretty tight (at least tighter than the 2D), and very importantly, takes the same size lensboard as the 2D. That's what I'd look at.

Ari
10-Jul-2020, 13:10
Saw one, Mark, and at a good price, too. But I hemmed and hawed and missed out on it.
That would be a very good camera for many things.
I've owned one before, but returned it because it was, well, imprecise and set-up was a matter of levelling everything for 10 mites before I could frame a shot.

Andrew Plume
10-Jul-2020, 13:17
Hi Ari

Really pleased for you that you're getting into the 'Wet Plate stuff'...........

What you've mentioned is 'a quandary' in that and as I see it there are the:-

(1) Monorails with all of the weight that come with it and I include your old Toyo as part of that;

(2) 'Rochester made/designed' (for want of a better expression) 2D's, Conley's, Seneca's, Gundlach's etc etc; and

(3) the Chamonix/Shen Hao's etc

I love the look and feel of those under (2) but the range of movements isn't enough for me; I really like the Chamonix's but for all of the weight and lack of portability that goes with it, I'd go for those under (1). I have the cousin of the Toyo M, the Toyo G, weighs like the proverbial 'boat anchor' but on the occasions when I get it all set up, it 'gives off some very reassuring vibes' if that doesn't sound very odd to some. Probably like you, I've owned a fair few Cameras in every format, the stage that I'm in in deciding on any new Camera would also be (a) the size of the lens board (far more important an issue than some may realise); (b) the ability to handle (if necessary) the odd heavy lens; and (c) all or as many of the movements that are feasible...................

Which results in me (if I were to now be looking) ending any search at either a Toyo or Sinar Monorail

good luck and best regards

Andrew

archphotofisher
10-Jul-2020, 13:32
Architecturally you can not beat the sinar p in any format.

dodphotography
10-Jul-2020, 14:37
KMV? Bulletproof cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ari
10-Jul-2020, 17:40
Thanks, guys.

Andrew, I've owned the 810G as well, hard to carry around, but it's such an awesome camera.
It would be a great candidate but for the difficulty in carting it around. I think if I went back to Toyo, I'd rather have the M, it can handle big lenses and uses 6x6 boards.
I love Chamonix cameras, worth their price because of Hugo's great service and a solid build, but if I get rid of the 2D, I'll be off wood for good.

APF, Sinar are the one camera I've never gotten along with, and the reasons are murky.
I learned on one back in 1992, it was the first camera I ever shot, but I can't stand 'em.
Good studio cameras, and actually not that heavy, lighter in fact than a comparable Toyo G camera.

Dan, the KMV: been there done that. Hate the lens boards and the pliable aluminum.
I like the extension and clamshell build, though.

All of these cameras would be very good for both architecture and wet plate, but I'm afraid I've already discounted them as possible candidates.
On Monday I'm going to call Arca and ask how much weight their front standard can accept.
That way I can rule out the Arca and get it out of my head.

dodphotography
10-Jul-2020, 17:45
Thanks, guys.

Andrew, I've owned the 810G as well, hard to carry around, but it's such an awesome camera.
It would be a great candidate but for the difficulty in carting it around. I think if I went back to Toyo, I'd rather have the M, it can handle big lenses and uses 6x6 boards.
I love Chamonix cameras, worth their price because of Hugo's great service and a solid build, but if I get rid of the 2D, I'll be off wood for good.

APF, Sinar are the one camera I've never gotten along with, and the reasons are murky.
I learned on one back in 1992, it was the first camera I ever shot, but I can't stand 'em.
Good studio cameras, and actually not that heavy, lighter in fact than a comparable Toyo G camera.

Dan, the KMV: been there done that. Hate the lens boards and the pliable aluminum.
I like the extension and clamshell build, though.

All of these cameras would be very good for both architecture and wet plate, but I'm afraid I've already discounted them as possible candidates.
On Monday I'm going to call Arca and ask how much weight their front standard can accept.
That way I can rule out the Arca and get it out of my head.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200711/c3316b7af12799bcaa2a33c74376e5e7.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200711/a06892693c8e19020c3406c823d0ba68.jpg
My friend Andy Pigg used my camera to take measurements and built this awesome 3D printed KMV to Sinar board adapter. Hell of a lot cheaper than a Grimes job and it works like a charm. Folds with the camera too, a cherry on top.

I’m a happy fellow with his work and it’s cheap.

Peter De Smidt
10-Jul-2020, 19:32
How about this for architecture? http://walkercameras.com/XL_8x10.html

Keep your 2D for longer lens work, if needed.

B.S.Kumar
10-Jul-2020, 19:43
I've been an architectural photographer all my professional life. I still do it occasionally when I find an interesting building and can get access.

For architectural work, a monorail camera with a bag bellows is the way to go: Sinar P/P2, Toyo, Sinar Norma or Linhof Master TL. I've tried field cameras - Linhof Super Technika V & Master Technika, Toyo 45AR, Wista 45D/SP/VX/RF and Cambo WideDS. The Super Technika V with 3 lenses was my first LF camera. I bought it after seeing the ads in the Photo-Technik magazine and I thought I wouldn't need anything else. I cannot begin to describe the immense frustration I had working with this camera for architecture and interiors. Within a year I bought a Sinar F2 and everything became much easier. I still have the F2 and added P2 standards some years ago.

Field cameras are wonderful tools for many reasons, and I sell 10 times more field cameras than monorails. But for studio and architecture, a monorail is the easiest way to get the image. You can carry a monorail camera on a short rail, and it becomes not much larger than a field camera. Yes, there are more steps to set up the camera, but while actually composing the image and making adjustments, monorails are better than field cameras.

Kumar

jmdavis
10-Jul-2020, 20:29
A c1 is heavy but it has good movements.

Ari
10-Jul-2020, 20:31
Thanks, Peter and Kumar.

Not arguing with either of you, but I'm trying to find one camera that can do what I'd need.
I'd like to do my portraits, duck out for an occasional building/urban shot, and also have the option of shooting some wet plates when I want to.

The Toyo 810M is the best choice, I think. It's got good movements, plenty of extension, is extremely solid, precise and reliable and parts are readily available.
I've shot lots of portraits and architecture with it, and it'd be fine for collodion, too.

I think if the Arca is a no-go, I would likely get another 810M and use it until all my vertebrae were compressed.

Kiwi7475
10-Jul-2020, 20:32
If money is no object then the 8x10 Arca Swiss F metric is IMHO a great option and still very portable at ~ 4 Kg with telescoping rails.

Ari
10-Jul-2020, 20:32
Considered the Calumet also, Jim, and there's lots there to recommend.
Ultimately, if I go that heavy, I'd choose the 810M.
Thanks!

Ari
10-Jul-2020, 20:40
If money is no object then the 8x10 Arca Swiss F metric is IMHO a great option and still very portable at ~ 4 Kg with telescoping rails.

Yes! I like this post! :)
Kiwi, do you own one? If so, what do you think the front standard can handle? A 2- or 3-pound lens? More?

Mark Sampson
10-Jul-2020, 20:42
Ari, it's obvious that you have your heart set on an Arca-Swiss. I hope that you find one that will meet your needs; you'll be happier using the camera that you want.
I've used a few different 8x10 cameras over many years; none were perfect. Most of your possible future cameras have already been mentioned- get the one that makes you feel good.
To quote Alexander Calder, "Fine tools contribute to fine work."
Best of luck!

Ari
10-Jul-2020, 20:52
Thanks, Mark.
You're right, I do wonder about this Arca business a lot, mostly because I've tried almost everything else out there and eventually sold it.
Over time, tastes and preferences change, as do shooting styles, subjects and processes/working methods.
I'm now headed in a direction I wouldn't have thought possible 5 years ago, and I'd like to pursue it as much as I can, while I can, so having the right tool really helps.
I don't like having too many cameras anymore. One or two is enough.
Maybe a third for vacation photos.

Kiwi7475
10-Jul-2020, 21:22
Yes! I like this post! :)
Kiwi, do you own one? If so, what do you think the front standard can handle? A 2- or 3-pound lens? More?

It can handle my heaviest lens which is the Nikon SW 150, about 2 lbs 5 oz without issues. Solid. I don’t have anything heavier to try.

Ari
10-Jul-2020, 21:36
Thank you

Peter De Smidt
10-Jul-2020, 21:46
I got to use an Arca F-line for a few months. It's a brilliant system. If money were no object, that's what I'd get for an all-around camera system. I have Sinars, mainly because I couldn't afford an Arca. For just studio work, Sinar Ps are terrific, but the Arcas are much better in the field. Sure, not all of their movements are geared, but the ones that aren't are so smooth and secure to operate that it isn't a problem. It's an advantage, because it gives you a lighter camera. I never used the Orbix or other fancier versions. In my opinion, and Arca F is superior to a Sinar F2 by quite a margin. I do prefer a Sinar P2 to an Arca M for studio work, though. (We had an Arca M at the commercial studio I worked at for awhile.)

Ari
10-Jul-2020, 21:52
Thanks, Peter. Good to know.
I've been on this Misura kick for a while, and spoke with another forum member who owns one and loves it.
It's an F-line 8x10, but lighter and with a few less movements on the back end.
After having owned so many cameras, and tried even more of them, I realized that money be damned, I have to give it a shot.
They have a great reputation, and life is short, so I'll be looking hard at it next week.

Mark Darragh
10-Jul-2020, 22:06
Hi Ari

I’ve found Arca-Swiss cameras to be very well engineered and intuitive to use. They pack quite neatly too, even compared with a folder. I run the carriers and frames of my Arca 8x10 on a 15cm rail which then slides into a 50cm telescopic rail. The setup is quicker than Wista 8x10 I used to own.

The 8x10 Misura is compact but lacks rear tilt and swing. The F-Line cameras allow indirect movements which are very useful for extra front rise. I often use this when photographing in forests.

If you decide to go down the Arca-Swiss path, I would suggest looking at the Metric version. I’ve run the 8x10 in both F Classic and Metric versions and have found the configuration of the Metric standards to be more rigid.

All the best with your search

Ari
10-Jul-2020, 22:15
Thank you, Mark, I will definitely look into it more closely.

The Misura has rear fall/rise and shift, but it has 100mm of front rise to make up for that.
Given what and how I shoot, this suits me well, and it makes for a lighter camera that also sits lower in the back, so some extra stability.

Nonetheless, I'm going to look again at what the entire F-line offers, including the Metric version.
A stronger front standard is also quite important, so I really wish the Arca website had more information about the various models.

goamules
11-Jul-2020, 05:24
I never looked at any of the modern cameras. Holy crap, $7000 for an Arca-Swiss that is mostly bellows and a few CNC pieces of metal?! That's more than I've paid for every camera I own, and two motorcycles. That's got 6 moving parts, my 1979 Honda has 12,000 parts and cost 1/10th! Sorry, but that is just crazy expensive. Probably because they have one guy that makes one camera when one buyer orders one.

Me, I'd make due with something else before I'd pay thousands of dollars for some cloth bellows that someone folded and made for $400 and a rail and standards made for probably another $400. There is markup for high tech (Tesla electric car), for craftsmanship (Monteleone mandoline), or for exotic materials like dimodinium or platypus fur. This....you are paying for "art" and "brand". Like the $4.3 Million photo of grass: https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_1484w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2011/11/11/National-Enterprise/Images/Photograph%20Auction%20Record.jpg?uuid=wa7USgyzEeGG8flrKQYvAA

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/54e3f14ce4b04d2b74bbfdb2/1436646038735-R4YUQZZDNGVH6QQCDWS2/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kG87Sfbgg29A4BYEDq3OXvgUqsxRUqqbr1mOJYKfIPR7LoDQ9mXPOjoJoqy81S2I8N_N4V1vUb5AoIIIbLZhVYxCRW4BPu10St3TBAUQYVKcf4OxbJOyh_wHUnyc4kQLQ6SBshRGOku7c30Y_IRDNPta8R2IY5BHMaEj1zOWoDTZ/8x10+Camera?format=1000w

neil poulsen
11-Jul-2020, 08:17
Arca Misura cameras have been kind of off my radar. But having recently seen a photo of one, I'm wondering if perhaps I have an "earlier" version:

See "Spare Parts" 8x10: https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?36782-Show-off-your-Large-Format-camera!&p=1525823#post1525823

Mine has only rise on the rear standard. (Not even shift.) I count this as a positive, because the 8x10, rear format frame is very sturdy on a rail. All other movements are on the front standard. Rise is a little limited in this configuration. So, I purchased a 3" rise extension from Arca Swiss. It works fine on this older camera.

You want to photograph architecture; do you need a bag bellows? A downside, I think my only hope of for a bag bellows is to find an 8x10 regular bellows for this camera on EBay (for the frames), and then have it converted by Custom Bellows in the UK.

Other than the Misura perhaps, I would not want to purchase a new Arca 8x10. I had the Classic front and rear function carriers for years, and I currently have metric carriers. I don't think that either is quite up to the task of supporting 8x10. They work fine for 6x9 and 4x5, and I might consider them for 5x7. But, not for 8x10.

I thoroughly enjoy using this camera. It's so simple, it feels more like using a 4x5, versus an 8x10.

jp
11-Jul-2020, 09:27
I never looked at any of the modern cameras. Holy crap, $7000 for an Arca-Swiss that is mostly bellows and a few CNC pieces of metal?! That's more than I've paid for every camera I own, and two motorcycles. That's got 6 moving parts, my 1979 Honda has 12,000 parts and cost 1/10th! Sorry, but that is just crazy expensive. Probably because they have one guy that makes one camera when one buyer orders one.

Me, I'd make due with something else before I'd pay thousands of dollars for some cloth bellows that someone folded and made for $400 and a rail and standards made for probably another $400. There is markup for high tech (Tesla electric car), for craftsmanship (Monteleone mandoline), or for exotic materials like dimodinium or platypus fur. This....you are paying for "art" and "brand". Like the $4.3 Million photo of grass: https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_1484w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2011/11/11/National-Enterprise/Images/Photograph%20Auction%20Record.jpg?uuid=wa7USgyzEeGG8flrKQYvAA

It's too expensive a camera for me too, but for small volume well designed craftsmanship, it's within the realm of reasonable and that's why I don't buy new... Sorta like a new Goldwing will be more $ than an economy car, or a new Harley bagger will be more than a luxury car.
The camera probably has many more moving parts than you estimate, and when things are anodized or powder coated on a small scale, that's very laborious and/or expensive to do safely. The software and training to operate the CNC machines is expensive, and the CNC machines are expensive if their production ability is not fully utilized. Hard to pay for all the expensive machinery if you're just cranking out a few cameras. It does make good sense for bigger businesses operating rows of machines more than one shift a day.

Luis-F-S
11-Jul-2020, 09:29
OK, the only 8x10 cameras I've owned have been Deardorff V8's. For architectural work, I used a Sinar F2 4x5 and still have 3 of them. That said, I do own a Sinar P 8x10, but have not used it. Bought it in parts because the price was right! I figured that if Dorffs were used by comercial photographers for longer than I've been on this planet to make hundreds of thousands of commercial photos, it was probably good enough for me, and it has been! Frankly, it's the only camera I've needed and I feel the best camera that's been made. No, it doesn't have geared movements or detents, or shifts or all the gimicks newer cameras have, but to me, that would be like wanting to put frets on a Cello! I've never run out of movements in its use. 32" of bellows lets me use a 30" Artar with a top hat as close as 27'! Handles lenses on a no. 5 Universal without breaking a sweat. This one is a user camera that has been re-finished, but it was well done, and its in really good shape. I put a borosilicate ruled ground glass which I prefer to the original soda-lime ground glass. I did put a new Deardorff bellows since I hated the replacement bellows it came with. You can see how nicely the bellows closes in the last shot. I keep a piece of cardboard on the bed to keep it from getting scratched. Some shots:

Ari
11-Jul-2020, 09:59
Thanks guys.
I do have a full Sinar 4x5 and 8x10 kit in the basement, I just don't use it, and don't want to use it.
The way I see it, I'm playing with architectural photography, I'm a hobbyist in that realm, so many cameras will work. So I don't want to shoot architecture, I already do, and I enjoy it, as it's a break from my regular work.
Portraits, wet plate, and architecture (in that order): that's what the camera needs to do.
The 810M was great for me in that respect until I didn't want to deal with the weight any more.
I'm more interested at the moment in how much weight the Arca's front standard can support. If the Arca fails in this respect, I have other options to consider, though none are as appealing.
And getting a system I've already used will just cause me to sell it again one day.

Ari
11-Jul-2020, 10:17
As I said earlier, I have a friend who owns both the Misura and the Metric. I asked him which camera would be more capable of carrying a 3+ pound lens, here's his reply:

The heaviest lens I have is a Nikon 300mm f/5.6 in a copal 3 shutter; it’s three pounds and some change. I’d have to give the advantage to the Misura with heavier lenses. The reason being is it has the simple, bombproof friction locks for all the camera movements instead of gearing. When you tighten those down they grab but good. And because the standards were also designed and made just for this camera, it’s more stout than the interchangeable multi-format approach design of the Metric.

The Metric is absolutely not a slouch and it works great with the bigger lenses too! It will hold the big lens just as well, but the gearing is really working hard with the added weight. I can feel it taking a lot more force to turn the knobs. It holds the lens, it doesn’t move or creep afterwards, but I can tell it’s not entirely happy. Now go a bit lighter, say a two pound lens, and it’s perfectly content with the load. My Schneider 400mm f/5.6 Tele-Xenar is within a hair of two pounds and is fabulous on the Metric.

And here’s where the roles reverse—with lighter lenses, I’d choose the Metric all day. The camera movements just glide so smoothly. A tiny bit of rise, a touch of front tilt is effortless and done in half a second. The Misura you have to loosen the knobs and then apply some leverage with your fingers on the standards to get things where they need to be, hold it (in the case of rise or fall) and re-tighten the knobs. 100% functional, but not as elegant.

The Misura however is still my hands down favorite for 8x10. The Metric works for 8x10, but it’s stretching a bit too far with the huge ground glass frame perched on the relatively small interchangeable rear carrier, and requiring the maxing out of the rise on the front standard just to center up the lens with the ground glass. The modular interchangeability hurts the system there. The requirements, mass and size of 8x10 parts put a lot of leverage and stress on the components. The Misura was built for 8x10 and it shows in its extra sturdiness.

Interesting, right?

Peter De Smidt
11-Jul-2020, 10:37
Depending on what you're doing with the super heavy lens, having an auxiliary lens support might be a good idea, whatever camera you go with.

fuegocito
11-Jul-2020, 13:26
Ari, no matter how finely you do the slice and dice dance, you know deep down, you'll just have to submit to the idea you need way more than one camera system :P The most important question is how to justify it to the better half :D Wait, I just back read earlier posts and realized you are already operating more than one system... I think at this point of the game, you'll just have to hook up with a designer/manufacturer and come up with an ARI 810 camera...

Ari
11-Jul-2020, 15:29
That’s for sure, Robert, even though my wife is very understanding.
She also helps me a lot with work, so she knows some of the “dilemmas” with various cameras that I work with.
I do work with medium format, but one camera system at a time now ��

Mark Sampson
11-Jul-2020, 16:00
Sell off the Sinar stuff if you don't like it, and you'll have the down payment on the Arca-Swiss.

interneg
11-Jul-2020, 16:02
I do like the idea of an 8x10 with just a 300mm rail - at least for the focal lengths I prefer.

fuegocito
11-Jul-2020, 16:07
So if I hear you correctly, for your architectural itch, you need something very sturdy(i think you prefer metal?), yet compact and light(enough), with precision geared focusing, and ample of geared front rise... what other must-have function(s) is on the wish list?

Ari
11-Jul-2020, 16:19
Sell off the Sinar stuff if you don't like it, and you'll have the down payment on the Arca-Swiss.

It's going to happen eventually, Mark, no matter which camera comes next.

So if I hear you correctly, for your architectural itch, you need something very sturdy(i think you prefer metal?), yet compact and light(enough), with precision geared focusing, and ample of geared front rise... what other must-have function(s) is on the wish list?

No geared rise needed Robert. In fact focusing is the only geared movement I'd really appreciate having.
It doesn't have to be a flyweight camera, either, just robust enough to handle some heavier lenses.
If it can fold down easily and somewhat compactly, that's a plus.
I tend to use front rise 95% of the time, once in a while I use front tilt. Having fewer rear movements isn't bad, it just means tweaking your methods a little.
About 18"-21" extension is the last on the wish list.

dodphotography
11-Jul-2020, 16:21

After 8 years of owning and selling every camera known to man... I wish I just did that, plunked down the coin into an overpriced Arca Swiss and faced such a huge loss from selling it that I would be “forced” to keep it.

Buy once, cry once.

Tin Can
11-Jul-2020, 16:33
There's an old saying. maybe 2/3 from one of my careers

These are not my words, they were told to me by customers

I don't pay tax

I need a discount

I know your markup

How much for cash right now?

I became pretty good at trade in...

I had at least 27 languages spoken at the HS in my territory, making all sales very interesting

Some were big ticket exotics

neil poulsen
13-Jul-2020, 02:06
As I said earlier, I have a friend who owns both the Misura and the Metric. I asked him which camera would be more capable of carrying a 3+ pound lens, here's his reply:

. . . but it’s stretching a bit too far with the huge ground glass frame perched on the relatively small interchangeable rear carrier, and requiring the maxing out of the rise on the front standard just to center up the lens with the ground glass. . . .

Exactly.

As for the maxed out rise, the Misura, and my old-style Arca 8x10, have a rear format frame that sits low above the rail. So, one doesn't need to max out the rise just to make the front format frame on axis with the rear.

Another advantage of my old Arca 8x10 is that, it's a model "A". (Axis tilt.) This means no tilt is available on the function carrier itself. (Only swing is available on the function carrier.) Moreover, the function carrier has a knob mechanism to grip the format frame above it. (For 8x10, I believe this to be an improvement over the Classic F function carrier.) Both these characteristics enable the front standard to better tolerate heavier lenses. I can easily use a 610mm Repro Claron on the front standard, and that's a relatively heavy lens. (I made an extension that uses an extra standard to increase the bellows draw, so that I could use longer lenses like the 610mm RC.)

A downside that I can see to an older-style Arca 8x10 like mine, is that it uses seals to prevent light from getting into the image chamber of the camera.

An operative phrase above is, "like mine." Not all old style Arca 8x10's have a rear standard that's built similar to that on the Misura. Still, if one became available, it would be a lot less expensive than a Misura 8x10.

Ari
13-Jul-2020, 05:56
Availability being a key word.
Thanks, Neil.
Not too long ago, eBay had a number of older, Oschwalt-era 8x10s for sale. Nothing now.
Hopefully supply is cyclical.

pipitra
14-Jul-2020, 01:15
You can google "Frica 810cc",it's a Chinese brand camera with fixed rear standard,geared focusing,bellows up to 393mm,all metal,using Technika board,weights only 3.5kg.I replaced my Intrepid MK2 with it and I think it worths the price(around USD1200).

Ari
14-Jul-2020, 08:40
Thanks for that. It looks decent, like a lower-cost Canham with more front rise.
Having owned a Canham before, I like them, but they're no longer what I'm looking for.
And if it isn't like a Canham, the Linhof board option is a deal-breaker for me.
Wish I'd seen this 10 years ago.

interneg
14-Jul-2020, 11:12
You can google "Frica 810cc",it's a Chinese brand camera with fixed rear standard,geared focusing,bellows up to 393mm,all metal,using Technika board,weights only 3.5kg.I replaced my Intrepid MK2 with it and I think it worths the price(around USD1200).

How did you go about ordering it? For my purposes it looks pretty good.

pipitra
15-Jul-2020, 19:48
How did you go about ordering it? For my purposes it looks pretty good.

I use Taobao which is a Chinese shipping website.If you are not in asia it may be hard for you to place the order.Seems they don't have ebay store.

Rod Klukas
16-Jul-2020, 10:35
Ari,
The 8x10 Arca-Swiss can easily handle quite heavy lenses. I know users using the 360mm Apo-Sironar-S (1560gm/3.5 lbs) and others with some older larger portrait lenses. The screen on the Arca-Swiss is also very easy to focus on and very efficient and precise. Plus quite light.

Ari
16-Jul-2020, 10:51
Thanks for answering, Rod, and good to hear from you.
Which version camera are you referring to? Mteric or Misura, or is it so across the board?

neil poulsen
18-Jul-2020, 22:01
I thought that I would post some additional images of my old-style 8x10 Arca Swiss, which appears to be similar the the newer Misura 8x10's. (And the Arca 11x14's?)

The first image shows the camera with the extension that I customized. Those familiar with these older cameras know that the bellows frames will not fit onto the front of a format frame. So to make this extension, I asked our local metal sculptor to hollow out a standard Arca lensboard, thereby converting it to a frame. Then, I had this frame mounted onto the rear of the bellows. I can easily get 800mm extension with this attachment.

The second image shows the base in detail. This appears to me to be similar to Misura construction. This base offers no movements, only focus. So, the 8x10 format frame is rock-solid on the rail. This rear standard does have the one movement (in addition to focus) that's needed on a rear standard, which is rear rise. I don't know how often this particular Arca Swiss conversion kit comes up, say on EBay?

I've also seen "A" (axis tilt), older style Arca 8x10 cameras that have swing on the rear standard. (And, focus and rise.) Not as rock solid I think as the version shown in the images; but, I would think sufficiently stable. (?) I might have a stability concern with a rear 8x10, older style rear that had base tilt. I'm not sure actually how stable that would be?

The third image shows that front of the camera without the extension. The front standard (and that of the extension) is interesting, because I believe that they're an intermediate Arca offering that has characteristics of both the newer Classic F cameras and the oldy-style Oashwald era cameras. (That was my reason for purchasing them.)

The last image shows a closer view of the function carriers knob that locks the format frame into place. While the mechanism on the regular Classic F function carriers are slick and perhaps quicker to use, the knob approach seems like ti would be more stable to me.

Ari
19-Jul-2020, 09:24
Looks very solid, Neil, thanks for posting these photos.
Is it a little heavier because of the extra standard, but not by much, I bet.
Interesting too that you have more rear rise than a Misura, and a little less from rise.
I'd happily get something like that as it would cost less and do pretty much what I would need.

neil poulsen
19-Jul-2020, 22:55
Looks very solid, Neil, thanks for posting these photos.
Is it a little heavier because of the extra standard, but not by much, I bet.
Interesting too that you have more rear rise than a Misura, and a little less from rise.
I'd happily get something like that as it would cost less and do pretty much what I would need.

The extension weighs 2.75 lbs. The camera without extension weighs 13 lbs. My primary concern in camera weight, is the weight on the tripod. All my accessories stay in a rather nice cart that I made. I bought (new) the rise extender (3 inches?) that Arca sells for about $350. (By Arca standards, that's pretty reasonable.) With this extender, there's plenty of rise for my purposes. Depending on the transaction, it would cost substantially less I think.