PDA

View Full Version : Intrepid 5x7 Holder preview

citychicago
2-Jul-2020, 11:05
Anyone shooting 5x7 is aware of the global dearth of good, affordable film holders. Intrepid Camera Company is working on that problem (now that they have launched their own 5x7 camera).

3-D printed, single sheet:

https://youtu.be/2-76sIhzMec

From the source: should be ready in about five weeks!

Kiwi7475
2-Jul-2020, 11:29
This is great news, but why single sided? The design can easily be made symmetrical, is it because it's just a demonstration/test unit?

citychicago
2-Jul-2020, 11:34
This design is "more affordable and easier to create."

Two23
2-Jul-2020, 11:39
If single sided they could have gone one step further and made it work for dry plates and wet plate.

Kent in SD

Max Grew
2-Jul-2020, 14:33
This is great news, but why single sided? The design can easily be made symmetrical, is it because it's just a demonstration/test unit?

If only it was that easy, the various bits of machinery we have aren’t really cut out for doing the fine slitting work required for a double dark slide. Injection moulding is the only other solution and the upfront cost of that would never be profitable for the quantity we would be making. A single sided holder is however very feasible. Easy for us to make, quick to assemble and most importantly a vert small list of parts. Might not be the most efficient way to load film but better than the current situation!

citychicago
2-Jul-2020, 14:55
I appreciate anyone who is making anything new for 5x7. Thanks for the insider info! Looking forward to further development news!!

Two23
2-Jul-2020, 14:59
If only it was that easy, the various bits of machinery we have aren’t really cut out for doing the fine slitting work required for a double dark slide. Injection moulding is the only other solution and the upfront cost of that would never be profitable for the quantity we would be making. A single sided holder is however very feasible. Easy for us to make, quick to assemble and most importantly a vert small list of parts. Might not be the most efficient way to load film but better than the current situation!

Have about 3-4 loaded and bring a small dark bag with back up supply and you should be good for a day.

Kent in SD

Kiwi7475
2-Jul-2020, 16:20

Makes sense. Really appreciate the effort you guys are putting into 5x7!

Willie
2-Jul-2020, 17:52
Make them thin and glue them back to back? ;-)

Dugan
2-Jul-2020, 20:13
I am glad to see anything new being made for 5x7.

Jimi
3-Jul-2020, 01:00
It is always good to see that 5x7 (or in my case 13x18 cm) is getting some attention, and that anyone starting out in the format will have some off-the-shelf solutions.

Buy 25 of these and you can load a whole box of film in one go. :)

Max Grew
3-Jul-2020, 05:54
It is always good to see that 5x7 (or in my case 13x18 cm) is getting some attention, and that anyone starting out in the format will have some off-the-shelf solutions.

Buy 25 of these and you can load a whole box of film in one go. :)

Thanks Jimi, it's a lovely format and we are really happy to add it to the line up.

As for the film holder, we have had a lot of feedback already that access to 5x7 holders is going to be a bit of a problem. We will be going full steam ahead with our holder and hope to have something on the website for sale by the end of the month. We are reaching the final stages of prototyping in the workshop, I just need to spend a load of time in the field/darkroom with the holder to see how durable and user friendly it is. If I can get the dark-slide to move in and out as nice as the new TOYO holders we sell then I know i'm on the right track!

Michael Kadillak
3-Jul-2020, 07:35
Thanks Jimi, it's a lovely format and we are really happy to add it to the line up.

As for the film holder, we have had a lot of feedback already that access to 5x7 holders is going to be a bit of a problem. We will be going full steam ahead with our holder and hope to have something on the website for sale by the end of the month. We are reaching the final stages of prototyping in the workshop, I just need to spend a load of time in the field/darkroom with the holder to see how durable and user friendly it is. If I can get the dark-slide to move in and out as nice as the new TOYO holders we sell then I know i'm on the right track!

How about supporting your 8x10 cameras with an ancillary and simplistic venue. Since you clearly have the proper material and the ability to CNC cut dark slides internally, how about doing a batch of Fidelity/Lisco 8x10 dark slide replacements since a cracked / aged dark slide renders the holder useless and Fidelity holders use a standard size dark slide and are the most in use. I would step for to 2-3 dozen of these myself.

ic-racer
3-Jul-2020, 08:20
Chamonix 5x7 that holds 2 sheets is $185.00 for comparison.

Max Grew
3-Jul-2020, 10:45
How about supporting your 8x10 cameras with an ancillary and simplistic venue. Since you clearly have the proper material and the ability to CNC cut dark slides internally, how about doing a batch of Fidelity/Lisco 8x10 dark slide replacements since a cracked / aged dark slide renders the holder useless and Fidelity holders use a standard size dark slide and are the most in use. I would step for to 2-3 dozen of these myself.

Hi Michael, I think that Cat Labs already sells what you are taking about. Certainly something I will consider producing though!