PDA

View Full Version : LF Photographers in Southern NM

Lincoln Michaud
1-Jan-2006, 11:31
Hello all,

I have been 'bitten' by the LF bug and hope to locate some LF photographers near me. I live in Las Cruces NM (about 1 hr drive from the White Sands National Monument) I would have the NMSU darkroom at my disposal and would like to find some one who could help ease me over from 35mm to the 'big picture'. By the way, I thought there was some guy, that tried to use one of my 35mm White Sands shots on the front of his book called 'The Negative' ...Turns out, it was some guy using a large format camera.... apparently these large format cameras allow 'movements' that help keep more things in focus......also the very large neg. allows a higher resolution final print. How about that? :-) Well, AA, here's lookin' at ya... I'm headed your way.

Lincoln

Jim Rhoades
1-Jan-2006, 12:53
Lincoln, I hope to be in White Sands sometime in late May-early June. I've never been there before and I'm coming from NJ. Do you have any advice on weather, camping etc.

Yeah, that AA guy did a little something down Hernandez way too. One thing about NJ is I don't have to trip in his tripod holes.

Lincoln Michaud
1-Jan-2006, 15:33
Hi Jim,

The weather at the White Sands is mostly good for photography. The exception is during the spring when we can get some mean dust storms. It sounds like your agenda will put you in for a visit after the storms and before it really heats up. A sensible precaution would be to make sure you can dust proof your gear. I personally use a lot of zip lock bags to secure my 35mm gear. I even invert an open ziplock over my G2 when it is on the tripod. I shoot at the 'sands' often and mark many of the good locations with my gps(a very useful tool). I would be more than happy to give you a personal tour when you are here.

Camping directly on the sands is possible. However, it is pretty spartan and you might want to choose another place to camp near Alamagordo or other good locations and come in when the park opens.

The sands are a photographers wonderland. I find Astia 100 works well for tranny's since it is good at catching the subtle tones, but I like Veliva 50 for the shear horse power recording dramatic sunsets. The sands continually changes and there always seems to be something new to investigate. Go to [url=http://contaxg.com/user.php?id=3570&page=user_images] --(I tried to make this link work with no success-I hope I am tagging it correctly) You will be able to see some of my 35mm work there.

The ever changing textures of the sand makes a wonderful place to shoot b&w. You can see these qualities with my conversion 'Baleen' and 'Whale Dune' shots. Colors, however, can also be very exciting. Take a look at the 'Original Earth Shadow' image as compared with the 'Guillotine Sky' image. This drastic difference in colors is very real and not 'hyped' by any photo manipulation. At one point the white sand reflects the incredibly blue New Mexican sky(leave your polarizer home :-)) and at another the setting sun cast a rose blush in the earths shadow.

I look forward to your visit. Maybe I will have some LF gear by the time you get here. :-)

Lincoln

Ralph Barker
1-Jan-2006, 18:42
Congratulations on your new "illness", Lincoln. I'm in Rio Rancho, not particularly close to Las Cruces. But, if you ever get up this way, I'd be happy to spend some time with you going over the basics.

Lincoln Michaud
1-Jan-2006, 20:46
Thanks Ralph,

That is a very nice offer. I know that you live in a very photogenic area-perhaps I could work a a visit into a photography weekend. Please contact me offlist and we can chat. I have a lot to learn.

Lincoln

Jim Rhoades
2-Jan-2006, 07:07
Lincoln,
Thanks for the info. Will send e-mail.

Kirk Gittings
3-Jan-2006, 10:29
Lincoln,

I am in Albuquerque. I get down your way on assignments regulalry. I'll email you next time I am heading that way and have some time. The petroglyph image at the start of my website is from down your way. www.gittingsphoto.com.

Lincoln Michaud
3-Jan-2006, 19:46
Hey Kirk,

That sounds good- please do e-mail me! I have not shot the petroglyphs north of Alamagordo, but often go by there on my way to 3 Rivers on Sierra Blanca. Depending on the snow pack, there often is some great water/forest/flower images available in the spring along 3 Rivers. I don't know if that type of thing is of interest to you.

I do have a full season pass to the White Sands-That might be a good place to meet. I know the park pretty well and have marked a lot of the interesting sand shapes with my gps. As you probably know, you can shoot the 'sands' a hundred times but still find something interesting to explore.

Whatever you like- I need some LF exposure! :-)

Lincoln

Dave Moeller
3-Jan-2006, 23:49
Consider me jealous, Lincoln. Having attended NMSU about 25 years ago, I wish I had ready access to the area with the equipment and knowledge that I have today.

The foothills of the Organs were always a fascinating place for me. There's also an old flourite mine on Tortugas Mountain in which I had some (mis?)adventures...definately a place I'd recommend avoiding if you love life...but back then I was a teenager and therefore immortal. There are great opportunities for more intimate (close-up) work on Tortugas, and the undulating shape of the mountain means there are interesting shadows almost all day long somewhere out there.

When I was last in the area (about 10 years ago) I got some great sunrise shots from the foothills of the Organs. Just find a dirt road that gets you out to where you want to set up and wait out a few mornings worth of sunrises; eventually, the magic will happen. (I was there in August, but if memory serves from my college days you should be able to get some fantastic sunrise shots even in January.) A lot of the under-developed roads are rarely used, and I was never bothered when I set up a tripod out on the desert before sunrise.)

I know you used to be able to get into White Sands before sunrise if you made arrangements ahead of time for a ranger to meet you, and if you paid a fee (although the amount escapes me, it seemed a small amount at the time). It was worth the effort to get out into the dunes early. The light on White Sands is magical at sunrise.

Enjoy your foray into large format photography. Southern New Mexico offers endless possibilities...I'm sure you'll do very well.

Lincoln Michaud
4-Jan-2006, 17:48
Hi Dave,

It's nice to have feedback from someone that understands the photographic opportunities of the area. I moved here from the east about 7 years ago and it hasn't lost any charm for me. However, even now housing is pushing up against the base of the Organs as people find out about our little paradise here. There's still plenty of vistas to shoot ,but you just have to venture a little further afield.

The 'light' , as you remarked, is everchanging and that makes for endless photo opportunities. I have always opted for the stronger sunsets, but the somber tones of sunrises can often be enchanting.

I hope you will contact me when 'ere you return to your old 'stomping' grounds. I would love to trek over some of your favorite haunts.

Lincoln