PDA

View Full Version : A Peak Inside Intrepid's Large Format Camera Factory

Max Grew
30-Jun-2020, 01:25
Hello, I thought a few of you might be interested in seeing inside our factory, a few people from this forum have come for a visit but obviously being on the south coast of the UK does limit access for some of you! The video is only short and to show our new 5x7, maybe we will do a full video tour one day.

Max

https://youtu.be/FTnhfFAmcP4

Molli
30-Jun-2020, 03:02
Thank you for posting that. I love seeing workshops in use and don't even care what's being made. In this case, however, I'm getting a serious case of G.A.S. That's one very nice set up you have going there and I really like the end product.

eabartel
30-Jun-2020, 04:54
thanks for posting, max!

Tin Can
30-Jun-2020, 05:14
Old news...

I saw it a day before Peter or Max posted

Signup for Intrepid updates for all their news

Congratulations Max!

ic-racer
30-Jun-2020, 07:58
The plywood makes it look cheap and home made. However, the special black edition makes it look like a camera twice the price. Are people buying the black one?

Bernice Loui
30-Jun-2020, 08:09
Not a lot wrong with wood as a material used for building a camera. Depending on the wood used, it can be remarkably strong, resilient to damage, tough, lightweight and dimensionally stable. These are the same reasons why aircraft and LOTs were made of wood. To believe metal is alway superior to wood is ignorant of the strength and weaknesses of both. Materials used to make stuff should depend on design requirements, not simple perception alone.

Bernice

The plywood makes it look cheap and home made. However, the special black edition makes it look like a camera twice the price. Are people buying the black one?

Two23
30-Jun-2020, 09:24
Encouraging to see LF cameras being made on this scale.

Kent in SD

Doremus Scudder
1-Jul-2020, 09:57
How'd they get that mountain in there?? :)

Max Grew
2-Jul-2020, 02:34
How'd they get that mountain in there?? :)

it's a pun on or logo, or auto correct... whichever excuse for bad spelling is more plausible :o

ic-racer
2-Jul-2020, 04:18
Not a lot wrong with wood as a material used for building a camera. Depending on the wood used, it can be remarkably strong, resilient to damage, tough, lightweight and dimensionally stable. These are the same reasons why aircraft and LOTs were made of wood. To believe metal is alway superior to wood is ignorant of the strength and weaknesses of both. Materials used to make stuff should depend on design requirements, not simple perception alone.

Bernice

Nothing wrong with wood but I was looking at the edges of the wood where the laminations are seen. A little bit of veneer to cover that would make the camera look like one twice the price in my opinion. That is constructive criticism, by the way. I'm glad to see a film camera on the market. In fact, if they were making this ten years ago when I got into 8x10, I'd have one. Though I do prefer the special black edition.

Tin Can
2-Jul-2020, 04:34
I wood not want veneer on the plywood edge

fake

Intrepid does coat their plywood

Wax on

MichaelGJ47
3-Jul-2020, 09:13
Congratulations I am interested is it going to have a 4x5 reducing back available ,if so my 4x5 will be up for sale .
Michael

Peter De Smidt
3-Jul-2020, 09:26
I really enjoyed the video. Thanks for posting!

Max Grew
3-Jul-2020, 10:47
Congratulations I am interested is it going to have a 4x5 reducing back available ,if so my 4x5 will be up for sale .
Michael

Hello Michael, it does https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/t/product-categories/5x7 let me know if you have any questions

Tim Shawcross
3-Jul-2020, 18:25
Will the back on this camera except a 6x17 roll film holder like the Canham or one of the Chinese ones (DaYi, Shen Hao) that are made for 5x7 backs? I'm thinking a light weight 5x7 with a 6x17 roll film holder and a 4x5 reducing back would be a good alternative to what I'm currently doing (carrying two cameras) and it'll have the added bonus of giving me full movements and wider lens selection when compared to my current 6x17.