PDA

View Full Version : Exploring offering of black glass for ambrotypes, silver gelatin ambrotype kits.

Nodda Duma
26-Jun-2020, 13:47
I’ve located a bulk supplier of black glass and ordered some samples to test. I’m exploring the offering of silver gelatin based positive (ambrotype like) kit in conjunction with a monobath developer from Sam Hiser.

In addition, I’d be happy to support the collodion community and supply black glass blanks For traditional ambrotypes. Prices tbd.

Right now I’m gauging interest, as I’d have to buy in bulk to keep prices of both blanks and coated plates reasonable So, would this be of interest?

The glass is smooth like float glass, 1.5mm thick. Could be cut to any size. From what I understand, the traditional sources for this have dried up.

-Jason

Tin Can
26-Jun-2020, 14:22
Yes, very interested in both products

I am setting up to use an old Japanese 4.75" X 6.5" Plate camera with Book Style plate holders, the ones with locking edges on sides.

It will be my wet and dry plate field camera

Depending on pricing I may order 100 black glass plates, no emulsion, asap

Then I don't need to cut my 5X7 glass plates down, as I was planning...

Ari
26-Jun-2020, 16:10
I'd be interested in black glass for collodion use as well, depending on price of course.
Keep us posted, and thanks for this, Jason.

Tin Can
26-Jun-2020, 16:37
Just a note for all.

Jason got a big and growing response on FB.

cp_photo
26-Jun-2020, 16:50
Is the "silver gelatin based positive" something that will be able to be used in your dry plate holders?

Nodda Duma
26-Jun-2020, 17:13
Is the "silver gelatin based positive" something that will be able to be used in your dry plate holders?

Yes. Nominal thickness would be 1.5mm and as a "dry plate" i.e. dried silver gelatin emulsion coated on glass they'd work just like the J Lane Dry Plates from a loading and shooting perspective.

For the blanks that photographers would use as a wet plate ... those would be better off in a wet plate holder.

jim_jm
26-Jun-2020, 19:09
Yeah, I'd love to try these! Currently shooting your 5x7 and (soon) 8x10 dry plates.

NCAmother
16-Jul-2020, 12:52
I’m very much interested in the black glass! I plan on shooting 4x5 and 5x7. Cheers

Two23
16-Jul-2020, 14:07
Interested as I'm already looking for black glass for ambrotypes. Will want 4x5 and 8x10. What's this monobath? I'm using HC110-B for film and dry plates. Using ferrous sulfate for wet plate.

Kent in SD

Nodda Duma
16-Jul-2020, 18:52
I'm going to make it happen. It's a question of figuring out if I can do pre-orders or just buy wholesale.

Tin Can
17-Jul-2020, 04:57
Made a small order just now

Nodda Duma
17-Jul-2020, 04:59
Saw it, thanks Randy!