PDA

View Full Version : What is the current tech in alt printing light sources?

ericantonio
23-Jun-2020, 12:23
Hi Everyone,
Been thinking about going back to try out kallitypes. I have all the stuff. About umm 13 years ago, my dad and I build a lightbox, ballasts, and the correct tubes for alt printing. That sucker got HOT!!

Years later, divorce, no money, all the stuff set aside but I found my chemistry, roller, and even nice paper! So would love to try it out again. And maybe try out some PL/PT printing.

I know I have spare tubes but I've moved about 6 times since and probably they are broken or there might be some tech out there maybe some LED tech or something that I can convert that box into something more heat and electric friendly?

I'm handy with soldering iron but would need to practice.

revdoc
23-Jun-2020, 14:18
I put one together using a BLB CFL, a box, and some lamp parts. It covers 5x7, doesn't get overly hot, and exposures for most processes are only 2 to 4 minutes. To cover 8x10 I'd need 2 CFLs and a bigger box.

There have been threads over on photrio about using UV LEDS for this, but I found the CFL solution simpler.

Gary Beasley
23-Jun-2020, 15:08
The Barrina led black light strips work well and are easy to install. I got enough for almost 24” square for less than $50.

ericantonio
23-Jun-2020, 15:09
The Barrina led black light strips work well and are easy to install. I got enough for almost 24” square for less than $50.

This looks amazing. You have specs on the strips?

Gary Beasley
23-Jun-2020, 17:25
[QUOTE=ericantonio;1558133]This looks amazing. You have specs on the strips?[/
https://barrina-led.com/products/barrina-uv-led-blacklight-bar-9w-2ft-t5-integrated-bulb-black-light-fixture-for-blacklight-poster-and-party-fun-atmosphere-with-built-in-on-off-switch4-pack?_pos=2&_psq=black&_ss=e&_v=1.0
I got two sets

ericantonio
23-Jun-2020, 21:48
[QUOTE=ericantonio;1558133]This looks amazing. You have specs on the strips?[/
https://barrina-led.com/products/barrina-uv-led-blacklight-bar-9w-2ft-t5-integrated-bulb-black-light-fixture-for-blacklight-poster-and-party-fun-atmosphere-with-built-in-on-off-switch4-pack?_pos=2&_psq=black&_ss=e&_v=1.0
I got two sets

Thanks!