PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff S11 11x14 on an 8x10 Ansco Stand?

Dustyman
22-Jun-2020, 15:58
I have a Deardorff S11 that needs a stand and I am in a position to purchase a reasonably priced Ansco studio stand. The stand is made for an 8x10 studio camera, much like the Century Master Studio Camera stand. The question is; will the S11 fit and, if so, can it sustain the weight?

Anyone have experience?

Thank you.

Peter De Smidt
22-Jun-2020, 16:24
I have an s11 stand, but no camera, although I have used one. I also have an Agfa studio 8x10 and stand. In my opinion the S11 would be too much for the stand. The S11 stand is a monster for a good reason. Century made a bigger stand for their 11x14. It would likely work.

ghostcount
22-Jun-2020, 16:44
I've got that set up. The front controls gets in the way of the bipost, especially when using short lens. Weight is not an issue.

Dustyman
22-Jun-2020, 17:05
Thanks for this info. That’s what I suspected. Does the post make it impossible or is it merely an inconvenience? In other words do the controls actually hit the post and prevent extension? Or, does it clear it, but with little room for your fingers to turn the wheel? I could live with that.

I've got that set up. The front controls gets in the way of the bipost, especially when using short lens. Weight is not an issue.

Tin Can
22-Jun-2020, 17:48
there is a little more than 24" between posts

one advantage to the big stand is the platform will rotate to any angle and upside down, so it shoots almost at floor

Dustyman
22-Jun-2020, 18:39
Thx
24" between posts refers to the original Deardorff stand, yes?

there is a little more than 24" between posts

one advantage to the big stand is the platform will rotate to any angle and upside down, so it shoots almost at floor

Duolab123
22-Jun-2020, 19:08
I have a Deardorff S11 that needs a stand and I am in a position to purchase a reasonably priced Ansco studio stand. The stand is made for an 8x10 studio camera, much like the Century Master Studio Camera stand. The question is; will the S11 fit and, if so, can it sustain the weight?

Anyone have experience?

Thank you.

Will you post a couple pictures of your camera?

Duolab123
22-Jun-2020, 19:10

Dustyman
22-Jun-2020, 19:55
I'd like to keep this post on topic. What I'd like to specifically know is if the posts of the Ansco stand are simply too narrow to operate the camera. Do the camera's side knobs actually hit the posts or do they just barely squeak through? Is it simply an inconvenience?

In other words, do the camera's control knobs actually hit the posts and prevent extension/contraction? Or, does it barely clear them, with very little room for your fingers to turn the wheel? If so I'd imagine that you'd have to begin turning the knobs from one side of the posts and then continue turning from the other side in order to move them beyond the posts.
@ghostcount?

Thanks for the input, appreciated.

ghostcount
22-Jun-2020, 21:31
I'd like to keep this post on topic. What I'd like to specifically know is if the posts of the Ansco stand are simply too narrow to operate the camera. Do the camera's side knobs actually hit the posts or do they just barely squeak through? Is it simply an inconvenience?

In other words, do the camera's control knobs actually hit the posts and prevent extension/contraction? Or, does it barely clear them, with very little room for your fingers to turn the wheel? If so I'd imagine that you'd have to begin turning the knobs from one side of the posts and then continue turning from the other side in order to move them beyond the posts.
@ghostcount?

Thanks for the input, appreciated.

My stand bipost hits the front controls preventing it from racking inward. The front platform of the stand has a lip preventing the camera from sliding forward when using the rear platform crank tilt. However, it also prevents the front rack from racking forward. Essentially the front rack knobs are locked into place. The rear rack knobs work fine all the way to the bipost. The rear and center rack knobs are behind the bipost so they can be rack out to the rear. All this will limit your short lens selection but I am able to squeeze my 13” lens for portrait at about 1:4 magnification. My longest lens is 480mm so have no problems at portrait distance.

Basically, the bipost distance is smaller than the max width of the S11

As an engineer, I present the problem and a potential solution. ;)

DURHAND 300 lbs Hydraulic Motorcycle Scissor Jack Lift Foot Step Wheels for Small Dirt Bikes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXFZYMX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Yuy8Eb2XWSCXT

Adjustable Height: 13.75" - 35.5"

Dustyman
23-Jun-2020, 07:32
Thx for this, it's great information. Any chance of including a picture showing the position of the front frame in relation to the posts? And a shot showing the camera situated on the stand overall?

From what I gather, the front frame is positioned behind the posts and can't be made to go further out, but there is complete usage of the rear extension. I will be shooting 8x10 using the reducing back, so I think I'll have plenty of extension with just the rear extension. I generally use lenses from 250mm through 420mm.

The scissor jack looks great... if it only had a tiltable platform!

My stand bipost hits the front controls preventing it from racking inward. The front platform of the stand has a lip preventing the camera from sliding forward when using the rear platform crank tilt. However, it also prevents the front rack from racking forward. Essentially the front rack knobs are locked into place. The rear rack knobs work fine all the way to the bipost. The rear and center rack knobs are behind the bipost so they can be rack out to the rear. All this will limit your short lens selection but I am able to squeeze my 13” lens for portrait at about 1:4 magnification. My longest lens is 480mm so have no problems at portrait distance.

DURHAND 300 lbs Hydraulic Motorcycle Scissor Jack Lift Foot Step Wheels for Small Dirt Bikes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXFZYMX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Yuy8Eb2XWSCXT

ghostcount
23-Jun-2020, 08:57
I was thinking about the tilt option to with the jack. It will depend if you actually use it in practice - I’ve not yet seen it’s use in mine.

You can certainly locate all the rack knobs behind the bipost as shown here,

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=96199&d=1370097772

I have mine in front because the bipost gets in the way when I operate my packard shutter - I'm clumsy.

Be aware that some stands are not as wide so you really need to measure the bipost distance and the distance between the knobs.

Here’s what mine looks like.

Peter De Smidt
23-Jun-2020, 09:05
I don't have access to my Agfa stand currently. It's in my office, which is in a quarantined building.... But the front stop on the stand bed should be easy to remove. It's probably held in place by 2 wood screws. You could drill through the stand platform to bolt the S11 to the stand, which would keep it from sliding. You could then put the camera a bit forward. Not only would this make getting at the front knobs easier, it would also put more of the weight of the camera forward, which is a good thing when overloading the stand.

ghostcount
23-Jun-2020, 09:19
I don't have access to my Agfa stand currently. It's in my office, which is in a quarantined building.... But the front stop on the stand bed should be easy to remove. It's probably held in place by 2 wood screws. You could drill through the stand platform to bold the S11 to the stand, which would keep it from sliding. You could then put the camera a bit forward. Not only would this make getting at the front knobs easier, it would also put more of the weight of the camera forward, which is a good thing when overloading the stand.

Ahhh…. Thanks Peter!

I just noticed there are receiving threads on the bottom of the S11 (1/4-20 maybe). I will make a longer platform to give me more breathing room on the front and secure the camera through those threads.

@ Dustyman - I hope your stand can accommodate the S11. They are more functional than the scissor jack for sure.

Peter De Smidt
23-Jun-2020, 09:33
Ideally you want to balance the weight on the pivot point of the stand, and then move the camera back just an inch or two, so that a bit of weight is on the back. That would take excess weight off of the threads of the tilting mechanism. I can't remember about the Agfa, but my Century Centennial stand just used a threaded rod, and over time it wore down, leading to problems. I replaced it with an ACME rod and nut, but I was only able to do that with the help of a machinist.

Dustyman
23-Jun-2020, 11:01
Thanks for these helpful pictures. I believe I can make it work.
I think this thread will be helpful to others in the future as well.

Dustyman
23-Jun-2020, 11:03
Terrific info, Peter. I'll eventually make a longer platform from 1" plywood. and bolt it from below.

Dustyman
23-Jun-2020, 11:07
And here's a pic of the stand I'll be picking up on Friday. A two hour drive each way, but I think it will work out just fine.

Peter De Smidt
23-Jun-2020, 11:38
Looks good! I prefer my Agfa stand to my Centennial one.

Dustyman
23-Jun-2020, 11:43
Thx Peter!
Can you possibly ID this particular stand? I see that it has springs (I assume) on the bottom of the posts. They protrude on each side. This is unlike my Century stand.

Looks good! I prefer my Agfa stand to my Centennial one.

Peter De Smidt
23-Jun-2020, 11:51
Sorry. I'm trying to remember, but I haven't been able to get back to my office for about 4 months. We need special permission to enter the building. Right, the Century has a coil spring where the tension can be changed a bit according to the weight. One simply winds the coil tighter or looser to change tension. The stand you show has a different system, more like the one on some enlargers. Hopefully, it can deal with the weight of the Deardorff.

Dustyman
23-Jun-2020, 12:07
Thx.
I've been having trouble ID'ing the stand. None of the Ansco stands I see online have those spiring housings on the bottom left and right sides.

Anyone?

Sorry. I'm trying to remember, but I haven't been able to get back to my office for about 4 months. We need special permission to enter the building. Right, the Century has a coil spring where the tension can be changed a bit according to the weight. One simply winds the coil tighter or looser to change tension. The Agfa has a different system, more like the one on some enlargers. Hopefully, it can deal with the weight of the Deardorff.

Dustyman
23-Jun-2020, 12:15
Ok, looks like an Ansco No. 5 based on a photo from a 1931 catalog.

However, I see other pictures of No. 5 stands without the side coils as pictures in the second picture below (which I think is from 1930). Maybe they modified the design to add the coils in 1931.

Thx.
I've been having trouble ID'ing the stand. None of the Ansco stands I see online have those spiring housings on the bottom left and right sides.

Anyone?

Peter De Smidt
23-Jun-2020, 12:17
I don't think my No. 5 stand has the side coils.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phcwh8wqeC8&t=11s

Dustyman
23-Jun-2020, 13:14
I’m wondering if Ansco had to modify their spring design because it initially was too similar to the Century design. An infringement.

I don't think my No. 5 stand has the side coils.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phcwh8wqeC8&t=11s

Duolab123
23-Jun-2020, 17:20

Still can't invert the camera like the Deardorff stand :rolleyes::eek:

Duolab123
23-Jun-2020, 17:30
Ahhh…. Thanks Peter!

I just noticed there are receiving threads on the bottom of the S11 (1/4-20 maybe). I will make a longer platform to give me more breathing room on the front and secure the camera through those threads.

@ Dustyman - I hope your stand can accommodate the S11. They are more functional than the scissor jack for sure.

My Deardorff has 3/8" threads on camera. The OEM bolts on the camera stand were designed to be 3/8 on the camera side and 1/4 20 on the knob side. A metal plate kept the bolt secured. The knob on the 1/4 end kept the bolt from passing through the base of the stand. There's 3 mounting points on the camera but I am using only the front and rear.

ghostcount
23-Jun-2020, 18:54
Still can't invert the camera like the Deardorff stand :rolleyes::eek:

I've gotten use to seeing images on the ground glass upside down so no need to flip it. :rolleyes: :cool:

ghostcount
23-Jun-2020, 18:55
My Deardorff has 3/8" threads on camera. The OEM bolts on the camera stand were designed to be 3/8 on the camera side and 1/4 20 on the knob side. A metal plate kept the bolt secured. The knob on the 1/4 end kept the bolt from passing through the base of the stand. There's 3 mounting points on the camera but I am using only the front and rear.

Good info. Thank you!!!