PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of or used a KT camera?

Vijay Nebhrajani
30-Dec-2005, 13:34
Here is a link: www.ktcamera.com/english/ShowDetail.asp?ID=23 (http://www.ktcamera.com/english/ShowDetail.asp?ID=23). I tried googling for this on this site and globally, but could not find any other information about it.

This camera appears to have some limited shift/rise/fall movements but no tilt/swing as far as I can tell. Something like the yet-to-be-released Fotoman 45PS.

Ted Harris
30-Dec-2005, 14:36
I have noticed these for sale on eBay over the past few months. There have also been a few discussions here. This is a Chinese made camera as is the Fotoman and I suspect that that they may use the same parts or even be assembled in the same factory.

Never having seen either this beast or the Fotoman offering all my comments are speculation but I would guess that they are both largely based on the Silvestri line or the similar Cambo.

Oren Grad
30-Dec-2005, 15:21
We'll know for sure if and when it finally appears, but based on what I recall from postings on the web here and there over the months, I think the Fotoman 4x5 design is different, and is unique to them.

John_4185
30-Dec-2005, 15:47
Doesn't look like there's Silvestri influence in the KT.

BTW, if their delivery is as slow as their network service...

Me, I will stick to things made outside China, thanks.

Dave Moeller
30-Dec-2005, 17:53
What a very pretty handle on that camera. It's a shame that there's no viewfinder so the camera is fairly useless hand held. (Unless, of course, you enjoy guessing composition when hand holding a camera...I suppose with a lot of practice you might get good at that.) I can't find viewfinders for sale anywhere on their site. I guess they figure you'll find one somewhere.

I sometimes wonder if the people designing these cameras have ever actually tried to use them.

Paul Droluk
30-Dec-2005, 18:31
Fotoman Camera & KT are in no way affiliated, and the cameras are not manufactured in the same facilities. Fotoman cameras are our own unique products, designed by us and produced for us exclusively. Our cameras are built using certifiable materials which in some cases (T6061 aluminum) must be acquired outside of China. Fotoman cameras are produced on USA and Japanese CNC machine tools, in order to maintain the exacting tolerances specified. The upcoming Fotoman 45PS camera (deliveries start in February, 2006) is not a technical styled camera. The 45PS is designed specifically to excel at hand held usage, and as such comes with a low distortion, accurate optical viewfinder for lenses ranging from 47 thru 300mm. The design of the 45PS camera is similar in form and function to the Linhof Teknar or Sinar Handy cameras... while the KT camera is much more of a technical camera in concept.

Oren Grad
30-Dec-2005, 18:51
Thanks for the update Paul, it's good to hear the project is still alive.

Ted Harris
30-Dec-2005, 19:27
Thanks Paul .... looking forward to seeing it. As for the KT ... anyone here seen one?

europanorama
30-Dec-2005, 19:37
linhof technar, paul.

sorry we did not meet at photokina. i was and am more in rotapan-technology. your 45camera seems really interesting. anyway kt has a very interesting universal 617-back for the fotoman. i think its the best around. i may err. seagull has a similar one in their prospectus. i have met kt at photokina. they were also at pma. you can ask questions in FAQ-section. or call up. maybe fax helps. they have an english interpreter. they do not reply email. i guess email is blocked. china controls everything. some regions are not blocked. also msn-messenger is a problem if you like to speak. in one word: CHINESE CENSORSHIP. as we know usa is not better. they also control everything. with or without official permission. sorry for being political. but its the truth.
i know of a astronomy company(see last link) offering a vaccum-filmholder(horseman 6x9/45-special-version). . anyway, they have also a sheetfilm 4x5/vaccum-holder. plus one for pentax 67 for only 450 usd. 550 usd-version for humid-environment. i am dreaming of a 4x5 inch(126/127)-rollfilm-vaccumholder. development should be possible.
here are some link with new informations(e.g. i did not know of a toyo-vaccumback):
http://astro.umsystem.edu/apml/ARCHIVES/JUN01/msg00148.html
http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/techdocs.htm

europanorama
30-Dec-2005, 19:42
toyo-4x5 or 6x9-vaccum-back. i dont know if 69 is for sheet or roll-film. toyo has roll-film-backs.

John_4185
30-Dec-2005, 21:53
one word: CHINESE CENSORSHIP. as we know usa is not better.

What a bunch of hooey. Sorry, but I can't stand that kind of nonsense. No way is the us "not better"; the US is vastly more free. That said, I have three Chinese (among other nationalities) working for me. They converse to their homeland every day. Yes, there is more control than here, but many parts of China have unhindered internet traffic.

David Hempenstall
30-Dec-2005, 22:33
Ok,

there seems to be a lot of conjecture and comments about 'China' on this thread. Disappointing.

I have one of the cameras. I received it about 2 weeksago.

I bought it off ebay.

The website shown at the top of this thread seems to lack MANY details that any number of auctions or websites explain.

The camera is a viewfinder model (not rangefinder). I use a 35mm Nikonos in the street regularly, so the estimation of distance and use of DOF are not scary concepts.

The company building these things does make viewfinders. My viewfinder is set for a 90mm lens. It also has 6x12 markings inside it. My understanding is that there are viewfinders for a number of FL's as well as a 'zoom' viewfinder.

I am to calibrate the lens to infinity (an adjustment on the lens cone) when I get a spare moment. Then I will be able to put the camera through its paces. The cone is marked to focus down to a minimum of 1.2m.

The build quality is pretty good. It is truly modular, as can be seen through many pictures on the web. It is no Linhof, but I didn't pay Linhof prices for it....

The camera itself seems to be sold as a number of things. I have seen the names 'KT' and 'Gaoersi', mine being marked a Gaoersi 'Super'.

The back is an international, so roll film holders such as the horseman will fit it. The ground glass has a hard cover that has a hood, the ability to swing out of the way or detach completely for GG composition and focusing.

The foot on the bottom of the camera is a direct mate to the Arca clamp. It slides perfectly into my B1. It has both screw threads tapped through as well, so whatever head you are using it will be able to attach. If you wanted to remove this foot it is a simple two allen head screws. Same as the handle.

My 90mm lens cone can implement 25mm of rise and fall. By turing the camera on its side you can obviously use this as shift.

So, the camera I have:

1. is an excellent solution for handheld work combined with a grafmatic.
2. can be placed on a tripod and rise and fall used with ground glass comp and focus.
3. can accept a different lens with the unscrewing of two knobs (each lens has a dedicated cone).

Paul Droluk has brought to the table an excellent comment on the design inherent to a few of the pancake cameras. There are the Silvestri/Cambo/Horseman styled cameras with movements on the lens, and the simpler handy/technar/hobo cameras (where Fotoman will be).

The fact that he is a competitor to this camera and chooses to point out the differences in style rather than try a public assasination of the product is impressive. I went to the Fotoman site when I was looking to buy a handheld 5x4, but because there was no news on the 45PS I cho0se another option. I wish Paul well with this project. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

To answer JJ:

Yep, like the Silvestri.... and the cambo... and the horseman..... I got my camera through Hong Kong, it was shipped faster than what B&H can manage (and i am presently living on a US military base... hmmm). You have in past threads called these cameras 'no better than a shoe box', but when you've been asked to provide details of a viable alternative... nothing. Just a photo of the Printex (no movements, no interchangeable lenses etc etc). The printex looks good as a rangefinder.... but is not the same as this thing.

To answer Dave: I wonder if the people throwing around comments have actually thought before engaging fingers to keyboard? A simple bit of work would turn up all sorts of things. Even if you chose not to use the manufacturers finders, an old Linhof finder would be a great addition to this camera (paralax adjustment and different FL in the one finder).

Sorry, but it seems like some stuff in this thread bugged me a bit.

Now the disclaimer (ooohh, dirty word!): I don't have anything to do with the maker of the product, I'm just the owner of one of their cameras (which I paid full price for).

D.

John_4185
30-Dec-2005, 22:46
Hey, I did call that camera a shoe box. How about that. I was referring to the fact that the acuton showed one with a lens, but it came with no lens.

There are alternatives. You probably saw the focusing 4x5 w/47mm F/5.6 I made one day. To each his own. These boxes aren't any big deal. Enjoy!

David Hempenstall
30-Dec-2005, 22:57
> There are alternatives.

with shift, interchangeable lenses, dedicated viewfinders, international backs, available, cheap, and not help together with spit or one off custom machining?

What are they JJ?

Let us all know, it will be a service to the LF community and may help a few people out!

D.

John_4185
30-Dec-2005, 23:09
dave h cheap,

OH, CHEAP! Well, nope. I rather like the Cambo Wide DS. Now please don't tell me it's really made in Asia. Noooooo.

David Hempenstall
31-Dec-2005, 00:06
Yeah JJ,

I'm cheap.

On other threads you have commented that these Gaoersi cameras are too expensive for what they are: http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/504209.html

The Cambo wide DS is nice. The build quality is definitely better on the Cambo. I heartily agree that it is an excellent camera.

Oh yes, the cambo VF for the DS is more expensive than the entire Gaoersi camera.

Here you're telling me one minute that there isn't much to these cameras and "there are alternatives".... and then using a Cambo Wide DS (with VF) as some sort of example.

Now I'm really confused.

Oh yeah, and cheap.

D.

Dave Moeller
31-Dec-2005, 18:01
--dave hempenstall 2005-12-30 21:33 PST [br][br]

To answer Dave: I wonder if the people throwing around comments have actually thought before engaging fingers to keyboard? A simple bit of work would turn up all sorts of things. Even if you chose not to use the manufacturers finders, an old Linhof finder would be a great addition to this camera (paralax adjustment and different FL in the one finder).

To answer dave, I wonder if people who write such crap bother checking facts before they respond to what's written in a message on this forum.

First, there is no viewfinder on the page with the camera. Second, there is no link for a viewfinder anywhere on the page with the camera. Third, there is no link to a viewfinder in any of the links in the left hand navigation on the site. Fourth, I looked through every link I could find on the site and I never found a viewfinder listed for sale anywhere on the site.

Perhaps they do sell viewfinders. Perhaps one is included with the camera. Perhaps they're platinum viewfinders with sapphire lenses that are aligned within an angstrom of perfect alignment with the lens. Perhaps the viewfinders are so good that they black out if you try to take an uninteresting picture. I don't know, because I can't know, because if they sell viewfinders, they're doing a damned fine job of hiding that fact. If they don't sell viewfinders, then my comment about the buyer providing his or her own viewfinder is valid and you're the one who should think before engaging your fingers to your keyboard.

I'm sure you love your camera and I'm sure it's the perfect tool for you. Enjoy it. In fact, do us all a favor and spend lots of time enjoying it, away from your keyboard.

Wayne Crider
31-Dec-2005, 21:10
I have been looking at cameras of this ilk, and am waiting to see the Fotoman show up. I know of another camera being advertised in the back of the English Photo magazines, a HDH 45PS, but have not been able to find info on it thru Google. I wonder if their the same as referenced above?

David Hempenstall
31-Dec-2005, 22:38
Dave,

I will apologise now for my previous post seeming to be a bit aggressive. i think I got a bit wound up because lately there has been an amazing amount of China bashing on this forum. The answer to you got wrapped up in the reaction to that.

You looked at ONE site... couldn't find anything.... so made a comment about the designers not even thinking about using the camera.

It's just I have seen viewfinders all over the place on these cameras.

These cameras seem to go by a number of names (KT, Gaoersi, and I believe a few others). They have been referenced on this forum for a while now.

Here is a link to the cameras with pictures of viewfinders attached:
http://stores.ebay.com/Large-camera-shop_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

That is one place to find them. There are others. I found this with one quick google search.

Looks like this ebay reseller is selling off various VF seperately. The camera auctions do not include a finder, but you can see them there. Some camera include a reflex finder instead.

This is not where i got my camera from.

Can't say I'm 'in love' with this camera. It's not built like my technika, but then again I didn't expect it to be. It just seems to be right for something I need to do.

Last time I checked I posted information about the camera, it's construction, it's limitations and a few early impressions. Your post questioned why the cameras don't have any viewfinders and then made assumptions about the designers.... seems there are viewfinders.

Remember, like Paul from fotoman pointed out, these are not designed exclusively as hand cameras. They are designed more along the lines of the pancake cameras like the silvestri, cambo and others. So, the VF is an accessory if you choose to use it handheld.

Mine was in the box with the camera. I may have just been lucky.

After all this I think it best if I leave. I know Dave M agrees!

D.