PDA

View Full Version : Temperature management

Bibendum
15-Jun-2020, 05:50
Hi, I developed BW-film at home without any problem and now I'm about to start developing my own colour slides (E6). I was wondering how to keep the temperature as close to the desired temperature as possible? Started looking for some sort of "heating device" and so far I only came up with this thing used in fish tanks but the temperatures on that are too low.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Tin Can
15-Jun-2020, 06:04
sous vide is used by some, I don't do colour

others will pipe up shortly

welcome to the forum

grat
15-Jun-2020, 06:08
Sous vide circulator. Keeps temperature, and stirs the water. Makes a nice steak, too, if that's something you care about. :)

Bibendum
15-Jun-2020, 07:26
sous vide is used by some, I don't do colour

others will pipe up shortly

welcome to the forum
Thanks, still searching my way in LF :-)

Bibendum
15-Jun-2020, 07:28
Sous vide circulator. Keeps temperature, and stirs the water. Makes a nice steak, too, if that's something you care about. :)
Thanks for the tip, I had absolutely no idea what that was called. So that's one steak and a couple of 4x5's coming up ;-)

Drew Wiley
23-Jun-2020, 18:02
Are you using a drum or what? Basic: use a big enough passive surrounding water jacket to prevent much change during the dev time. Better: purchase something like a Jobo tempering box. Fancy and expensive, but far more precise: buy a thermoregulator from a scientific lab supplier. Take your chances: aquarium heaters and similar kitchen devices.

Two23
23-Jun-2020, 19:47
I have put together a color chemical kit, Stearman SP-445, a Hadineeon sous vide, and a plastic tub, about 2-3 gallon capacity. Plan is to keep the chemicals and the SP-445 in the water bath for even temperature. The color processing chemicals will permanently stain, so if using a kitchen counter I'm putting down a lot of plastic to cover it.

Kent in SD

Roger Thoms
24-Jun-2020, 09:26
My Anova Sous Vide, beats my Jobo TB-1 hands down for temp control. The Jobo has to drop about a degree before it kicks on and then has to rise about 2 degrees before the heating element turns off. It also lacks water circulation. Older unit, so maybe the newer ones are better or maybe Jobo has a better model that I'm not aware of. The Anova happily holds the temperature with in 0.2 degrees, plus having the water circulation is a nice plus. I have the 750 watt model which is more than adequate.

Roger

grat
24-Jun-2020, 10:20
Same here on the Anova Nano.

Side note, I heat up an extra 1L bottle with filtered water for use in the pre-soak and wash steps. By doing that, I pretty much eliminate the need to keep the developing tank in the hot water-- the plastic holds heat well enough that the 3.5 minutes for developing isn't an issue, and if there's a drop during the blix stage, I haven't noticed any effects in the results (if anything, the Blix seems to generate a small amount of heat-- I keep having to let the excess air out).

Bibendum
25-Jun-2020, 03:08
Same here on the Anova Nano.

Side note, I heat up an extra 1L bottle with filtered water for use in the pre-soak and wash steps. By doing that, I pretty much eliminate the need to keep the developing tank in the hot water-- the plastic holds heat well enough that the 3.5 minutes for developing isn't an issue, and if there's a drop during the blix stage, I haven't noticed any effects in the results (if anything, the Blix seems to generate a small amount of heat-- I keep having to let the excess air out).

Great tip, tnx.

Bibendum
25-Jun-2020, 03:11
My Anova Sous Vide, beats my Jobo TB-1 hands down for temp control. The Jobo has to drop about a degree before it kicks on and then has to rise about 2 degrees before the heating element turns off. It also lacks water circulation. Older unit, so maybe the newer ones are better or maybe Jobo has a better model that I'm not aware of. The Anova happily holds the temperature with in 0.2 degrees, plus having the water circulation is a nice plus. I have the 750 watt model which is more than adequate.

Roger
Anova sous vide came is probably going to be my first route as well.

Tin Can
25-Jun-2020, 05:19
Let's cross post this chiller idea

How to cool water, with ice... (https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?56044-Lets-See-Your-Darkroom&p=1558389&viewfull=1#post1558389)