PDA

View Full Version : What makes Tmax sepia?

Ed Richards
30-Dec-2005, 08:54
I think I have a bad batch of Xtol, but rather than just making thin negatives, the negatives for Tmax100 are also sepia, rather than usual neutral grey. Is this a symptom of something else I may be missing?

Bruce Watson
30-Dec-2005, 09:05
I've been using XTOL for years. Never had a problem. But I did notice during my switch over from HC-110 that the color of the negative changed. HC-110 left Tri-X on the cool side of neutral. XTOL leaves Tri-X on the warm side of neutral. I don't think this is a symptom of anything other than the different developing agents. It doesn't effect shadow detail, or the range of tones in the final prints, so I haven't been concerned.

Ed Richards
30-Dec-2005, 09:22
Sorry, I should be more precise - this is a major color shift from one batch of Xtol to the next. I think the new (brown) batch is bad, but I want to make sure there is not something else going on than the developer.

Tom Westbrook
30-Dec-2005, 09:53
Xtol does give a warmer neg, but I only notice it if I hold one up next to one done in, say, Tmax RS. I've never seen it give a really obvious brown color. Are you using it diluted?

William Mortensen
30-Dec-2005, 10:31
Another possibility: worn-out fixer can leave the negatives with a brownish stain, usually in the middle where it doesn't get as much agitation.

Arthur Nichols
30-Dec-2005, 11:00
It sounds like dichroic fog to me. I have had this when using X-Tol in high dilutions. It also happens with other developers at high dilutions. What dilution were you using it at?

Bruce Watson
30-Dec-2005, 12:12
If it's fixer, refixing in fresh fixer should clear it up. I think.

IIRC, XTOL is sensitive to iron in the water you mix with. If you aren't mixing it from steam distilled water, the iron in your mix water might be sufficient to cause a problem. Seems unlikely, but it has been known to happen.

Ed Richards
30-Dec-2005, 19:37
> It sounds like dichroic fog to me. I have had this when using X-Tol in high dilutions. It also happens with other developers at high dilutions. What dilution were you using it at?

1:3, but if it was weak, it might behave like a higher dilution.

Wayne Crider
30-Dec-2005, 20:02
Expose a new sheet making sure the exposure is right (sunny 16 will do) and develop it per recommended times at 1:1. If the neg comes out thin throw out the developer. Also, don't use iron rich water. Xtol slightly increases film speed, but I leave the ISO at rating.

Ed Richards
30-Dec-2005, 21:22
Mixed a new batch of Xtol, did a test, it works fine. Must have had a bad pack. One more thing to test.:-)