PDA

View Full Version : Use of Tripods on NYC street

Songyun
13-Jun-2020, 13:28
I have been taking some photos in the past a few weeks, when the street is quite empty. At a few places I was told that I can not set up tripod on the property, like in front of Vessel in Hudson yards, which I understand. I tried to set up tripod this morning on the sidewalk of 5th Ave between 49th and 50th. I was told by a security guard of Rockefeller center that the sidewalk is part of Rock center's property, no tripods are allowed. Is that true?

Tin Can
13-Jun-2020, 13:37
More than likely, I had the same problem in Chicago

Songyun
13-Jun-2020, 14:05
More than likely, I had the same problem in Chicago

The guard told me to set up tripod across the avenue (on the east side of the avenue), which is public. I don't know how to determine which sidewalk is public, which is private.

Tin Can
13-Jun-2020, 14:36
You need NYC advice

I got my shot later when I was faster

Pieter
13-Jun-2020, 14:43
Sometimes there is a plaque in the pavement or on the building stating that it is private property.

Robert Tilden
13-Jun-2020, 14:59
I was involved in a large format class in Chicago a few years ago. We were set up on a LaSalle St. sidewalk to take pictures of an old 'El' station that was visible across an empty parking lot. A pleasant fellow in tactical togs and a shotgun told us we couldn't shoot across the parking lot. Turned out the parking lot belonged to the Chicago Federal Reserve. He said we could refuse to move but then he'd call the CPD and it probably wouldn't be resolved in our favor. We moved.

LabRat
13-Jun-2020, 15:54
Steve's rule is "Shoot before they throw you out"...

Do research, plan your shoot, and shoot your plan...

Steve K

Willie
13-Jun-2020, 18:28
Can you take a 4 legged slide projector table and use that? With four legs it is not a tripod. ;-)

Duolab123
13-Jun-2020, 18:46
I was involved in a large format class in Chicago a few years ago. We were set up on a LaSalle St. sidewalk to take pictures of an old 'El' station that was visible across an empty parking lot. A pleasant fellow in tactical togs and a shotgun told us we couldn't shoot across the parking lot. Turned out the parking lot belonged to the Chicago Federal Reserve. He said we could refuse to move but then he'd call the CPD and it probably wouldn't be resolved in our favor. We moved.

That's absurd. You should have said "oh we aren't taking pictures, just trying to distract security!" ;)

Jeff Conrad
13-Jun-2020, 18:49
Rules for City property are given by the Rules of the City of New York (https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/codes/newyorkcity/latest/NYCrules/0-0-0-1), Title 43, §§ 9.01–9.03. It’s hardly a stellar example of legal drafting, but it was far worse before it was revised following widespread outcry when it was first proposed in 2006. I haven’t been to NYC in many years, so I don’t know how it works in practice.

Bob Salomon
13-Jun-2020, 19:02
Can you take a 4 legged slide projector table and use that? With four legs it is not a tripod. ;-)

Then take the Novoflex Quadropod. All versions have 4 legs but can be used with 2. One version can also be used with 3.

Pieter
13-Jun-2020, 19:51
I doubt they care how many legs if you're on private property.

reddesert
13-Jun-2020, 23:00
Security guards often behave as if they own not only the ground, but also the air, as in Robert Tilden's story of forbidding taking a picture across a parking lot. They will probably stake claim over water and fire next.

I have no knowledge of who owns the sidewalk outside Rockefeller Center, but in New York, sidewalk ownership is often marked by bronze plaques set in the sidewalk to delimit the property line for liability and rights-assertion reasons. Sometimes they are L shaped at a corner. If you look around you can see them all over the place. https://untappedcities.com/2020/01/08/the-property-line-markers-in-nyc-sidewalks-offer-crossing-only-by-permission/

LabRat
14-Jun-2020, 00:29
I doubt they care how many legs if you're on private property.

Their biggest problem is with the interloper with 2 legs...

Steve K

Alan Klein
14-Jun-2020, 08:02
List of regulations regarding taking pictures in NYC by site.
https://411newyork.org/guide/2008/09/11/camera-restrictions-in-new-york/#:~:text=The%20use%20of%20tripods%20are%20not%20permitted%20at%20Rockefeller%20Center,consent%20of%20either%20RCPI%20Landmark

Paul Ron
14-Jun-2020, 08:13
ive been busted a few times for using a tripod... its not illegal but you may get a ticket for blocking egress. most times the cops will just shoo you along. argue your rights n then you can tell it to a judge, thats ticket time.

the general rule is if you can see it from public property, its fair game to be photographed. there are a few exceptions n trust me, they will bring it to your attension.

parks under conservency care have their own rules. check the park department or the conserveany itself.

ive also been tossed out of a few public buildings only because they said i looked professional. argue your rights n tell it to a judge when you go appear with your ticket for not obeying the direction of an officer.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/mome/permits/when-permit-required.page

Duolab123
14-Jun-2020, 09:27
I understand that there are places where tripods are an issue. That being said a cell phone on a sidewalk, probably isn't going to bring a guard with a shotgun. A snapshot with a 60 megapixel optically stabilized Sony camera of the air over the Fed parking lot, go home and make a 11 X14 negative with a inkjet :o

Pieter
14-Jun-2020, 11:49
I only wish they'd prohibit selfie sticks.

popdoc
14-Jun-2020, 21:01
This trick has worked for many of us- look like a surveyor.

Place reflective tape on each of the tripod legs, wear a reflective safety vest and a hard hat, and make up some sort of a photo ID to hang around your neck.

No one has ever bothered me since I’ve put that getup together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duolab123
14-Jun-2020, 22:45
This trick has worked for many of us- look like a surveyor.

Place reflective tape on each of the tripod legs, wear a reflective safety vest and a hard hat, and make up some sort of a photo ID to hang around your neck.

No one has ever bothered me since I’ve put that getup together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genius!

Tin Can
15-Jun-2020, 04:36
I always have a visible white hardhat, yellow safety vest and big orange cones in my white F150 and drive real slow in some areas...

Many workers straighten up when I cruise by, as the thing looks like a supervisor truck.

Reflective tape on tripod legs is a good idea!

I am adding fake fleet #'s and TIN CAN COLLEGE in small print.

My last truck with TIN CAN COLLEGE on it, got me a verbal cross examination going in to Canada. Business is examined at borders.

Paul Ron
15-Jun-2020, 07:26
you guys are too funny. the only problem with diguises in nyc comes when the nypd terrorist patrols ask for id n permits, you are then shipped off to gitmo for water boarding n interogation. fake id?

best bet is shoot n run!

Tin Can
15-Jun-2020, 07:50
been to NYC twice, 1964 World Fair was fun and 1978 when it was scary, my host experienced a murder in his car, when a pimp chased a hooker into it, no connections, he got the car back and later burned it...

never again...no more big cities for me

Paul Ron
15-Jun-2020, 12:26
ah the wolrd fair... that was spectacular. its a shame nyc is letting the few structures rot. there is a small grass roots organization trying to keep the park up. nyc would love to sell it off for development.

WAAAAAA? MURDER???, PIMPS???? OMG!
no wonder you went into hiding.

maybe try another visit? its not all that bad.

Dave Wooten
15-Jun-2020, 14:56
64 flushing Meadows world's fair!
Loved it , played trumpet there! I was 17 yrs old...!

Tin Can
15-Jun-2020, 15:32
Stayed in Rockaway which reminded me of Rogers Park Chicago

Lived decades in Chicago, dodging muggers, shooters, killers and worse. Even got attacked on my motorbike by 2 hookers blocks from where I lived. They tried dragging me off it, I let the clutch out quickly. Another one I knew well, I would let Purple in at 5 am after a night of work to hide from her pimp and the Police. We told each other stories past dawn, then she slipped away. No we didn't.

Now I won't even go to a city.

I have posted this before, shot by me with Kodak 126

https://live.staticflickr.com/814/25961846967_54430e3ae0.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FyafBa)1964 Mustang Worlds Fair (https://flic.kr/p/FyafBa) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

ah the wolrd fair... that was spectacular. its a shame nyc is letting the few structures rot. there is a small grass roots organization trying to keep the park up. nyc would love to sell it off for development.

WAAAAAA? MURDER???, PIMPS???? OMG!
no wonder you went into hiding.

Two23
15-Jun-2020, 15:35

It would have to be after De Blasio is long gone.

Kent in SD

Bob Salomon
15-Jun-2020, 16:14
Stayed in Rockaway which reminded me of Rogers Park Chicago

Lived decades in Chicago, dodging muggers, shooters, killers and worse. Even got attacked on my motorbike by 2 hookers blocks from where I lived. They tried dragging me off it, I let the clutch out quickly. Another one I knew well, I would let Purple in at 5 am after a night of work to hide from her pimp and the Police. We told each other stories past dawn, then she slipped away. No we didn't.

Now I won't even go to a city.

I have posted this before, shot by me with Kodak 126

https://live.staticflickr.com/814/25961846967_54430e3ae0.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FyafBa)1964 Mustang Worlds Fair (https://flic.kr/p/FyafBa) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

One year at Photokina in Cologne I was walking back from the show to the hotel, a few blocks away, in Deutz. Halfway back a Gypsy woman with two kids approached me. She had an opened newspaper in her hand and, as we approached, the two kids got behind me and the woman started waving the paper in front of me while one kid tried to grab my briefcase.
We struggled a bit and I finally punched her with my free hand.
They took off and reported it to the hotel owner at the front desk.
He reported it but nothing came of it.
We had stayed at that same hotel every other year for Photokina for more then two decades and never had anything like that happen before or after that one incident.
Anything can happen in any city!
And we frequently walked the streets of old town Köln and Deutz very late at night. Including walking across the RR bridge after midnight.

Tin Can
15-Jun-2020, 17:28
Bob, I can always find trouble

and have in EU, Canada, Mexico and USA

I also have 100's of stories about struggle, strive and trouble, I was a salesman too...

I find every human has a story if we listen

but my Gypsy stories are mostly one way, they tend to be quick and private

One year at Photokina in Cologne I was walking back from the show to the hotel, a few blocks away, in Deutz. Halfway back a Gypsy woman with two kids approached me. She had an opened newspaper in her hand and, as we approached, the two kids got behind me and the woman started waving the paper in front of me while one kid tried to grab my briefcase.
We struggled a bit and I finally punched her with my free hand.
They took off and reported it to the hotel owner at the front desk.
He reported it but nothing came of it.
We had stayed at that same hotel every other year for Photokina for more then two decades and never had anything like that happen before or after that one incident.
Anything can happen in any city!
And we frequently walked the streets of old town Köln and Deutz very late at night. Including walking across the RR bridge after midnight.

Duolab123
15-Jun-2020, 19:20
I had a nice looking woman come up to me when I was in Chicago 30 years ago. She asked me if I knew where she could get a drink? I swear I didn't have a clue, so like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory I pointed down the street to a pub, ha! Then she said something like do you want to buy me a drink?, finally dawned on me. I stuttered no thanks and ran back to my room.
I still laugh when I think about that. I'm a lummox from all appearances, probably never looked like a good target.

Koln, I remember drinking cold lager beer in a jazz club down not to far from the Dom. The glasses calibrated in centaliters. CL.

Paul Ron
15-Jun-2020, 20:30
This is where the men in black was filmed....

Bob Salomon
16-Jun-2020, 02:01
I had a nice looking woman come up to me when I was in Chicago 30 years ago. She asked me if I knew where she could get a drink? I swear I didn't have a clue, so like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory I pointed down the street to a pub, ha! Then she said something like do you want to buy me a drink?, finally dawned on me. I stuttered no thanks and ran back to my room.
I still laugh when I think about that. I'm a lummox from all appearances, probably never looked like a good target.

Koln, I remember drinking cold lager beer in a jazz club down not to far from the Dom. The glasses calibrated in centaliters. CL.

I was staying at the Conrad Hilton one year when PMA was still held there.
We had had a very late night after a party in the company suite and I was groggily making my way back to my room.
At one end of the hall there was a coke machine so I stopped to buy one. I had my case in my left hand and change in my right hand. I put the change in, pushed the button and while the Coke came down into the chute a female hand suddenly reached between my legs to grab it. Never did learn her name!

giganova
18-Jun-2020, 09:19
Try setting up a tripod in Washington, DC, total nightmare: there is Capitol Police, Metropolitan Police, Park Police, Secret Service, Military Police, the list goes on & on. Each square inch of the city falls under the jurisdiction of one of them, and none allow tripods.

Alan Klein
18-Jun-2020, 19:32
Try setting up a tripod in Washington, DC, total nightmare: there is Capitol Police, Metropolitan Police, Park Police, Secret Service, Military Police, the list goes on & on. Each square inch of the city falls under the jurisdiction of one of them, and none allow tripods.

Carry a demonstration sign like you're marching and no one will bother you. :)

Jeff Conrad
18-Jun-2020, 20:57
Carry a demonstration sign like you're marching and no one will bother you. :)

Except for flash-bangs, tear gas, and rubber bullets ...

At least in some of these jurisdictions, there is little authority for prohibiting tripods. Areas under the jurisdiction of the US Park Police are covered by 43 CFR § 5.2, which requires a permit for still photography that uses a model, set, or prop, subject to the definitions in 43 CFR § 5.12. Specific areas may restrict certain things such as tripods, but there is no general prohibition or permit requirement.

The National Capital Region of the National Park System has special regulations. In the past, the NPS and US Park Police have used 36 CFR 7.96(g) to require permits for some photography, considering it a “demonstration” “which is reasonably likely to draw a crowd or onlookers.” This would now be on shaky legal grounds because a nearly identical provision in the Traffic Regulations for the United States Capitol Grounds was voided for vagueness and its enforcement enjoined in Lederman v. US (DC Cir. 2002). Nonetheless, this provision was used to illegally arrest activist Cindy Sheehan for wearing a “protest” T-shirt at the State of the Union Address in 2006 (the law’s application to T-shirts had actually been barred by an earlier decision). The charges were quickly dropped, and the Capitol Police apologized, claiming a “good-faith” misinterpretation (ignorance of settled law is not an excuse, but of course no one was held accountable).

The US Capitol grounds are under the jurisdiction of the US Capitol Police. The Traffic Regulations, including the definition of “demonstration,” have since been revised; the only mention of tripods is in § 16.13, which requires a permit for a tripod used for “commercial photography.” Shades of what we thought we had eliminated ... that actually was only for the Department of Agriculture and the Department of the Interior.

I haven’t been to DC in many years, so I can’t comment on what actually happens. But anyone who hasn’t slept through the last few months can see that the law seldom cramps the style of law enforcement agencies.

Audii-Dudii
19-Jun-2020, 05:51
One solution I've found that works very, very well for me when photographing street scenes in NYC is to do so late at night.

Although it's been more than a half-dozen years since my last visit, no one has ever bothered me about where I place my camera / tripod combo when it's after midnight or before 5:00 am. :)

I was, however, hassled on two separate occasions by the Park Police when I was spotted carrying my tripod / camera combo over my shoulder as I walked across the Harlem River Lift Span bridge at 125th Street to Randall's Island.

On both occasions, I was on the sidewalk on the south side of the bridge. At the beginning of the sidewalk on the west side and partially hidden by vegetation, there is (was?) a sign that said either "cameras prohibited on bridge" or "cameras not allowed on bridge" (I forget which).

I took this to mean that photographing from the bridge wasn't allowed, so I didn't.

According to the Park Police, though, the sign literally meant that cameras were not allowed on the bridge, period.

I argued with the cop about this for a bit, asking whether this prohibition included cellphones with cameras that were being carried inside a jacket pocket or cameras being carried in unlabeled boxes inside a UPS truck or in a camera bag inside the trunk of a car and he said it did -- "no cameras means no cameras!" he explained firmly -- although when I questioned him further about this, he did admit the regulation would be difficult to enforce in some situations.

He had his ticket book in hand and was ready to write me a ticket, but after I handed him my I.D., he realized I was from out-of-state and decided to let me go with just a warning. "I don't want to ruin your vacation," he said, mildly apologetically.

The second time occurred a few hours later, as I was walking back across the bridge from Randall's Island to Manhattan. I explained to the second Park cop that 1) There was no warning sign posted anywhere that I saw, so how would anyone know this was prohibited? and 2) I had been stopped by another cop earlier, but I had no choice but to cross the bridge with my tripod / camera a second time since it was the only way I knew to return to Manhattan. Fortunately, he likewise let me go with just a warning...

Tin Can
19-Jun-2020, 06:17
Right after 9/11/2001

Many places were banned for imaging with anything

including bridges

The Bridge Over The River Kwai: The Real Story (https://travelhappy.info/thailand/the-bridge-over-the-river-kwai-the-real-story/)

Alan Klein
19-Jun-2020, 13:20
One solution I've found that works very, very well for me when photographing street scenes in NYC is to do so late at night.

Although it's been more than a half-dozen years since my last visit, no one has ever bothered me about where I place my camera / tripod combo when it's after midnight or before 5:00 am. :)

I was, however, hassled on two separate occasions by the Park Police when I was spotted carrying my tripod / camera combo over my shoulder as I walked across the Harlem River Lift Span bridge at 125th Street to Randall's Island.

On both occasions, I was on the sidewalk on the south side of the bridge. At the beginning of the sidewalk on the west side and partially hidden by vegetation, there is (was?) a sign that said either "cameras prohibited on bridge" or "cameras not allowed on bridge" (I forget which).

I took this to mean that photographing from the bridge wasn't allowed, so I didn't.

According to the Park Police, though, the sign literally meant that cameras were not allowed on the bridge, period.

I argued with the cop about this for a bit, asking whether this prohibition included cellphones with cameras that were being carried inside a jacket pocket or cameras being carried in unlabeled boxes inside a UPS truck or in a camera bag inside the trunk of a car and he said it did -- "no cameras means no cameras!" he explained firmly -- although when I questioned him further about this, he did admit the regulation would be difficult to enforce in some situations.

He had his ticket book in hand and was ready to write me a ticket, but after I handed him my I.D., he realized I was from out-of-state and decided to let me go with just a warning. "I don't want to ruin your vacation," he said, mildly apologetically.

The second time occurred a few hours later, as I was walking back across the bridge from Randall's Island to Manhattan. I explained to the second Park cop that 1) There was no warning sign posted anywhere that I saw, so how would anyone know this was prohibited? and 2) I had been stopped by another cop earlier, but I had no choice but to cross the bridge with my tripod / camera a second time since it was the only way I knew to return to Manhattan. Fortunately, he likewise let me go with just a warning...
I'm sure he was happy he didn't have to write up a report about a dead body he found on that bridge or in the Harlem River below, an area called Hell's Gate. It's not in the safest of neighborhoods especially during the times you were there at night. :rolleyes:

Jeff Conrad
19-Jun-2020, 14:10
although when I questioned him further about this, he did admit the regulation would be difficult to enforce in some situations.

I suspect the “regulation” would be difficult to enforce in some situations because there probably is no regulation. Ditto for the “bans” on photography of bridges. There were many stories—some of them told here—about such things in the years after 9/11. But not once did I ever see a citation of authority for any of these bans; a sign does not carry the force of law.

Many folks here have had similar experiences with NPS and FS rangers who insisted that permits were required for “commercial” photography, when that never has been the case.

If one is to believe the New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/us/politics/park-police-gregory-monahan.html), the Park Police aren’t the most upstanding law enforcement agency. I’ve had only limited contact with them in San Francisco, but my impressions were consistent with this article: they were not nice people.

That said, a gun and a badge usually beats four aces. And often the law.

Bob Salomon
19-Jun-2020, 14:43
“. . . That said, a gun and a badge usually beats four aces. And often the law. . . .”

Tell that to Wild Bill Hickok!

BrianShaw
19-Jun-2020, 15:47
“. . . That said, a gun and a badge usually beats four aces. And often the law. . . .”

Tell that to Wild Bill Hickok!

Hickock was holding two pair, black aces and eights. If he had 4 aces he might have survived his assassination.

Bob Salomon
19-Jun-2020, 16:51
Hickock was holding two pair, black aces and eights. If he had 4 aces he might have survived his assassination.

But he did have the gun and the badge.

BrianShaw
19-Jun-2020, 17:08
But he did have the gun and the badge.

I know he had a gun, Smith and Wesson, but I didn’t see a badge. Are you sure? I thought he gave up being a lawman that late in his life.! His only real mistake was thinking an angry drunk was harmless and sitting with his back to the door when he clearly knew better than that. I was there but it was a long time ago.

But what this has to do with tripods or NY, IDK. But it’s a fun chat. :)

Jeff Conrad
19-Jun-2020, 18:13
But what this has to do with tripods or NY, IDK. :)
Everyone knows—or reasonably should know—that a Smith and Wesson beats four aces. Or the Rules of the City of New York. Or the United States Code. Or the Code of Federal Regulations. Sad!

LabRat
19-Jun-2020, 19:06
But back to Gotham city, Sunday mornings were really dead in NYC (when I lived there), so probably best time to try your wings there... (Wall St. was empty)...

As long as you don't block sidewalks or venture onto private property, you might be just fine...

Steve K

BrianShaw
19-Jun-2020, 20:02
But back to Gotham city, Sunday mornings were really dead in NYC (when I lived there), so probably best time to try your wings there... (Wall St. was empty)...

As long as you don't block sidewalks or venture onto private property, you might be just fine...

Steve K

That’s consistent with my experience with the DC Capital Police. They looked at me with binoculars, waved, and moved behind a pillar. As I finished up they looked again. No fuss. But it was early in the morning and it was basic just me and them. Private security seems to often be more aggressive.

Audii-Dudii
19-Jun-2020, 21:37
I'm sure he was happy he didn't have to write up a report about a dead body he found on that bridge or in the Harlem River below, an area called Hell's Gate. It's not in the safest of neighborhoods especially during the times you were there at night. :rolleyes:

Back then, I frequently traveled to NYC for work and thanks to the generosity of a coworker and her husband, I was able to stay free of charge in the penthouse condo they owned that was located on 110th Street, between First and Second Ave. They kept it for those times when they visited family and friends or her husband was in town on business. (They also maintained apartments and condos in Chicago, San Francisco, San Diego, London, and Singapore because the husband often traveled to those cities on business as well and hated to stay in hotels. Yes, they were quite well off.)

Whenever my schedule allowed, I would piggyback a day or two of vacation to the end of my business trips and use them to explore / photograph the city.

Because of its proximity, I photographed all over Harlem late at night / early in the morning and only once was I ever physically threatened. That said, when I photographed during the day, I was frequently yelled at by people for taking their photo, but they were only blustering, so it didn't bother me much.

The only time I was physically threatened, I was photographing down the street from a social club around 2:00 am on a Saturday morning and caught the attention of the crowd as they were leaving the club because it had closed.

Here in Phoenix, I will usually stand my ground when people tell me I can't take street scene photos because it's illegal, but when 20-30 amped-up and/or inebriated young men object and then start to circle me, I am wise enough to beat feet and quickly retreat, which I did without any further incident.

(Of course, here in Phoenix, I'm usually prepared to defend myself in the event I'm threatened, which isn't an option in NYC, so that is also a factor in my willingness to stand my ground here.)

I don't recall ever being hassled by the NYC PD, but I was regularly hassled by security guards and doormen who claimed the property where they worked extended all the way to the street, which was BS 99 times out of 100 and they knew it (because I told them to call the police if they must and I would wait until they arrived so I could explain my side of the situation and they never did.)

I was, however, hassled regularly by the Park police, including one time when I was photographing the RFK and Hell's Gate bridges from the empty soccer fields on Ward's Island using an infrared camera, which they viewed as highly suspicious because they thought only a spy or a terrorist would use a specially modified camera like mine. <rolls eyes>

I usually don't talk to the police -- I am a paralegal, after all, and know better than to do so -- but they were skeptical of my explanation that I was taking photos on what, to them, was not a very photogenic day, when I stupidly mentioned I was photographing with an infrared camera and things looked very different than they did with visible light ... oops!

I ended up being detained -- but not arrested -- for more than an hour while they investigated me to determine whether I was a threat or not. Which sucked, because the weather and light really were absolutely perfect and they would not let me continue to photograph while I waited for them to complete their investigation.

My last visit was in May 2015 -- in fact, that's when the incident on the bridge occurred -- because my friends sold their condo and I had quit my job in 2013, so I would have to pay for both my airfare and my housing if I visit again, which is much too spendy for me now that I'm semi-retired. :(

Jeff Conrad
19-Jun-2020, 21:48
As long as you don't block sidewalks
This gets at one of the more sensible provisions of NYC’s rules: § 9.01(b)(1)(ii), which requires a permit for photography that involves the assertion of exclusive use of more than one-half of a sidewalk, or when the sidewalk is narrower than 16 feet, exclusive use that leaves less than eight feet available for pedestrian use. One might quibble that the latter condition is excessive in an area where there’s little foot traffic, but the overall thrust is that you need a permit if you’re going to interfere with use of the sidewalk by other people. Seems reasonable enough to me.

Jeff Conrad
19-Jun-2020, 22:16
using an infrared camera, which they viewed as highly suspicious because they thought only a spy or a terrorist would use a specially modified camera like mine.
As Mrs. Iselin said to the senator, “Dear, you’re good at a great many things, but thinking just isn’t one of them.”

The Washington Post recently suggested (https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-us-park-polices-reputation-is-in-tatters/2020/06/17/cd427e00-b0b6-11ea-856d-5054296735e5_story.html) that the Park Police’s reputation is in tatters; I’m not sure it ever was otherwise.

Songyun
26-Jun-2020, 11:52
wow, lots of good stories. A couple of weeks ago I was wandering around in the city, where I saw the heavily guarded Saks 5th ave store. I took this photo with my Chamonix Saber. When I came back with my tripods and wider lens set up, the security guard at Rock center told me that I can not set up the tripods on the sidewalk next to the Rock center.

Jeff Conrad
26-Jun-2020, 13:08
the security guard at Rock center told me that I can not set up the tripods on the sidewalk next to the Rock center.

So did you ask him why not?

Songyun
26-Jun-2020, 13:26
So did you ask him why not?
He said that side of the sidewalk is Rock center’s property.

Jeff Conrad
26-Jun-2020, 13:39
He said that side of the sidewalk is Rock center’s property.
Somebody in City government ought to be able to answer this, or at the very least confirm or deny that it’s possible. I’d trust a typical security guard as far as I could throw him. Depending on the mood I was in—and how big he was—I might ask “Says who?” But there sometimes are strange situations, and if you really don’t know the answer, you’ve got to ask yourself one question ...

Alan Klein
26-Jun-2020, 17:29
wow, lots of good stories. A couple of weeks ago I was wandering around in the city, where I saw the heavily guarded Saks 5th ave store. I took this photo with my Chamonix Saber. When I came back with my tripods and wider lens set up, the security guard at Rock center told me that I can not set up the tripods on the sidewalk next to the Rock center.

You should have told him Nelson Rockefeller is your grandfather.

LabRat
26-Jun-2020, 17:44

Tell him you just bought the place and want pictures!!! ;-)

Steve K

Jeff Conrad
26-Jun-2020, 18:11
I’ve heard of people staring quizzically at a security guard and saying something like “You really don’t know who I am, do you?” Sometimes it actually works. One advantage is that there is no false personation. Never tried it myself ...

LabRat
26-Jun-2020, 19:30
I’ve heard of people staring quizzically at a security guard and saying something like “You really don’t know who I am, do you?” Sometimes it actually works. One advantage is that there is no false personation. Never tried it myself ...

Could very well be...

Another thing that worked (by accident) was getting stopped while driving around the back of LAX once, that I was pulled over by a motorcycle cop over a taillight out... The cop takes off his helmet, and I looked stunned and amazed at him 'cuz he looked like a double to another guy I knew... He saw me looking strangely at him, maybe thinking I recognized him from school or something, and he got very nervous and spattered out "get your taillight fixed, and quickly jumped on his bike and took off...

Thought maybe I can use that routine someday??? ;-)

Steve K

chschulz
24-Jul-2020, 06:19
I haven't seen it mentioned here yet - back when I lived in NYC in 2007 you could simply get a "film & photography permit" from the Mayors office. It's the same the big movie productions use but everyone could get one for no fee. I got these very official looking letters on several occasions, i.e. when setting up a tripod in front of the Metropolitian Museum, Lincoln Center or during the night. I was stopped by security guards or cops all the time but after showing my permit everything was fine and people were generally friendly and supportive - they are just doing their jobs.

I was told by a security guard of Rockefeller center that the sidewalk is part of Rock center's property, no tripods are allowed. Is that true?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

Tin Can
10-Oct-2020, 05:38
Downtown Chicago Spring 2001 Chicago Film Office Permits were $25. I secured three 3-day weekends, which allowed me to post NO PARKING signs, evidently no time limits!

The City gave me large no parking signs, which I still have and a permit without a year date

I also was granted towing privages IF I hired an off duty CPD officer, which was a reasonable cost

But I didn't hire any as I got to location well before the zone was opened for weekend parking so didn't need towing or an officer as I simply blocked the the entire block with my Airstream, trucks, cars and put up signs

I was conducting video interviews about Student Loans from Graduating Grad students...How Will You Pay?

Everybody wants to get in an AirStream